Best way to test difference between new and old headphones

littlepigboy5

I just got new headphones, and I was wondering what the best way to test them was, obviously i can't do a side by side comparison.  What should my method be and what should i test it with(what music/games/media)

I can help with programming and hardware.

<Script>alert("This website is vulnerable to XSS");</Script>

Hello Littlepigboy5,

Which model of headphones did you get? :)

I just got new headphones, and I was wondering what the best way to test them was, obviously i can't do a side by side comparison.  What should my method be and what should i test it with(what music/games/media)

Listen to the same song for 2-3 times on both headphones, then you will see if the difference present.

Hello Littlepigboy5,

Which model of headphones did you get? :)

sennheiser hd 598

Ah, of course. Linus does a video on a headphone and so immediately everyone runs out and buys one, because "Linus sez".

This kind of activity is fairly pointless. Just listen and enjoy with your new headphones. If you really must compare, then select a number of tracks (at least 30 minutes worth), listen through them with one headphone, then switch and repeat with the other.

If you don't listen to something for more than 20 minutes, you effectively forget how it "sounds" anyway.

If you don't wake up one day thinking "I wish I had more bass" more "more volume" or whatever, you don't need to change what you currently are running.

Don't be a slave to the placebo effect.

If you don't listen to something for more than 20 minutes, you effectively forget how it "sounds" anyway.

If you don't wake up one day thinking "I wish I had more bass" more "more volume" or whatever, you don't need to change what you currently are running.

Since when is upgrading headphones consider placebo? Also with that mindset why would we upgrade anything if our old gears are good enough?

Ah, of course. Linus does a video on a headphone and so immediately everyone runs out and buys one, because "Linus sez".

This kind of activity is fairly pointless. Just listen and enjoy with your new headphones. If you really must compare, then select a number of tracks (at least 30 minutes worth), listen through them with one headphone, then switch and repeat with the other.

At least this wave is more practical than the hd8 dj.

But it still 598, not 558...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Since when is upgrading headphones consider placebo? Also with that mindset why would we upgrade anything if our old gears are good enough?

Thats why I see the point in headphones hitting even the levels of the Electrostats (higher than the Koss 950... or what name it was. All I know is that when I tried it, it was awesome). Amplifiers and DACs, though... aren't their jobs (aside from tube amps) supposed to be amplifying while maintaining a low noise floor as low as possible? But yeah, I digress.

No, buying a product and holding it in your hand is NOT the placebo. The placebo effect takes place when you listen to them and convince yourself there is a difference which is night and day, when in reality, the difference is not that noticeable.

If they are MUCH better than what you currently have then yes, it's an upgrade. If it is a HUGE upgrade, you would notice without having to do lots of comparisons. If you're buying something worth a similar price with similar specs, just keep your money in your pocket.

Or because they were $95.

linus reviewed the sennheiser hd 598 se, i got the 598s.  I realize that they are pretty much the same but I bought them because I researched and I chose them, not cuz "linus sez"

for me it was the open soundstage and my old headphones disconnected or became static when they rotated in the 3.5mm socket, so it wasn't just cuz sennheiser is betr and im a fanboy.

No, buying a product and holding it in your hand is NOT the placebo. The placebo effect takes place when you listen to them and convince yourself there is a difference which is night and day, when in reality, the difference is not that noticeable.

If they are MUCH better than what you currently have then yes, it's an upgrade. If it is a HUGE upgrade, you would notice without having to do lots of comparisons. If you're buying something worth a similar price with similar specs, just keep your money in your pocket.

Buying something with similar specs and price is a sidegrade, not an upgrade. I don't know what you consider a night and day difference, but it's not placebo at all when there's discernible change. If you've tried different tiers of headphones and can't tell the difference, then I'm sorry, you might have hearing damage. Audio is placebo-plagued no doubt, from people claiming to hear improvements by upgrading their cables and comparing kilobucks dac to another, headphones however is not one of them.

Buying something with similar specs and price is a sidegrade, not an upgrade. I don't know what you consider a night and day difference, but it's not placebo at all when there's discernible change. If you've tried different tiers of headphones and can't tell the difference, then I'm sorry, you might have hearing damage. Audio is placebo-plagued no doubt, from people claiming to hear improvements by upgrading their cables and comparing kilobucks dac to another, headphones however is not one of them.

Wow.

I've not said anywhere there is NO change if you upgrade from headphones, I'm pointing out to the OP who is clearly new to the realm of upgrading audio equipment and how to audition different things. I have said, if there is a noticeable upgrade, you literally will notice it, without having to do tonnes of A/B comparisons with test tracks and so on.

I have very good hearing but I am also realistic and open minded enough to be able to listen to equipment and not be fooled by "Aha! I have a new product which is more expensive, it IS better" when actually, that might not be the case. But to reiterate, I am aware that not all speakers and headphones don't all sound the same - even though that is not what I actually wrote anywhere in this thread.