GPU started overheating for no apparent reason

First of all i fucked up my previous 10 page long try in posting this Topic so now i have to start it over which is unpleasant. I'll make it short now because i don't like retyping all again.

In short: My GPU (Stock cooler EVGA GTX 660) MAX temp rised from 72 degrees to "unlimited" in last week, and by unlimited i mean when it got up to 100 degrees and i noticed it i started shitting in my pants a little and turned all off, otherwise it might gone even hotter. It just keep's rising and i can't understand why.

Not much changed in last week (that is about when it started doing this) except i played The Showdown Effect, and it is not so much demanding game (at least it should've been) i got from humblebundle. The only reason it might been important, is that it's extremely bugged and my GPU got loaded up to 100% for 100% of the time i played and rised temps to 73 degrees which is ridiculous because it is simple sidescrolling shooter, by that point i wasn't pleased and i decided not to play it since. The real trouble began when 2 days ago my friend asked if i could play a new Borderlands 2 DLC with him since solo is not cool. And at first i was like "sure", but i didn't launch the game for 2 month or so, and when i did it that day my GPU almost fried itself. It got up to 95 which never happened before. And it is the same game that i played 100 hours (as Steam says), on temps not even reaching 72 degrees all the time...

Some info about GPU: Important facts about my EVGA GTX660 are - i got it on ebay for cheap (well 180$ with delivery was not cheap for me but still better than in my country) and have no idea what previous owner did with it. It also overheated almost like that from the box (well not exactly THAT bad), but this issue was fixed easily by just applying my MX-4 thermal paste. It was not hard to do and it decreased temps drastically by about 20 degrees. Since then 72-73 was my top temp, and i remembered it because it never got hotter under furmark. Now when i tried to run furmark it got up to 100 in about 5 seconds and that's when i did panic a little. 

Some things i checked already: Drivers are the latest for my gpu (326.80), i also checked thermal paste since i thought it might leak or something, even thou it looked good i did reapply it just in case. Didn't help at all. Also noticed some blackened marks on the areas under the cooler which i assume are burns from freakishly heated GPU... and it is making me even more sad.

Have no idea what else can i do, help please?

P.S. also here is a screenshot of MSI afterburner (it's in russian but not hard to understand) and the important parts are - no overclock, and the max registered temp.

post-5580-0-94184500-1377520381.png

I think that his GPU is idling at 9°c or that is some russian number... :)

LOL idk 9c seems pretty unrealistic maybe his temps ensor is messed up,

its the fan speed. temp is under that

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Okay that seems to be more frustrating to read than i thought. It says lowest temp is 36 and highest is 91. The 91 is not a benchmark its just from launching a game... You are reading the current temps while the important one's are the red text above.

Here is the english one. I probably should've done this in the first place

image.png

P.S. and guys, i know russian is funny, but with your joking replies you are killing my chances on good answers. I hope you realize that.

Maybe fans are not speeding up as it should. Also try rolling back to non beta drivers.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Maybe fans are not speeding up as it should. Also try rolling back to non beta drivers.

My gpu under 100% load with no matter what drivers (i tried several versions) and the fastest fan speed i can make it spin is still overheating. And believe me that fan is spinning good. I can hear it from the kitchen.

Check fan speed with gpu z.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Check fan speed with gpu z.

It is exactly as it is shown in the afterburner. 3300 RPM under load.

It is exactly as it is shown in the afterburner. 3300 RPM under load.

And the temps?

Post shots while under some load. idle temps mean little to nothing.

Stop running furmark lol. use a game in a somewhat low res, in windowed mode with Vsync on. Unigine Heaven would work fine w/Vsync and windowed. <this is just to keep the utilization low in case of more overheating

cda.png

The all red part is when i launched the game. It was 89 degrees.

Unigine heaven did not launch at all, so here's borderlands 2 with 1280x800 windowed mode. V-sync on. Temps are right beside it. I hope it helps to add some info.

image.jpg

At this point i think i need to look for some aftermarket coolers, because all i can think of is i managed to bend or damage the heatsink somehow so even maxed out fan can't throw heat away.

Unigine heaven did not launch at all, so here's borderlands 2 with 1280x800 windowed mode. V-sync on. Temps are right beside it. I hope it helps to add some info.

image.jpg

At this point i think i need to look for some aftermarket coolers, because all i can think of is i managed to bend or damage the heatsink somehow so even maxed out fan can't throw heat away.

Yeah, probably a spoilt heatpipe/heatsink since you already apply with a fresh thermal paste.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Okay, good news (kinda) guys. I've located the problem source. I don't know how it happened, maybe i hit my case or something, one of the screws around the GPU's processor (i've rounded it in the picture) is not screwing all the way in. It does two-three turns and then pops out. Last time i didn't see that because i did 4 turns and it looked okay. But when i did put GPU in case it popped out again and caused the lost of touch between heatsink and processor. Which obviously resulted in insane overheating. And i even did manage to almost overlook it second time. But now that i've got it i'm gonna figure it out somehow. Maybe drill a new hole with a better screw, anyways... thank's for the reply's everyone.

pny_660ti_back.jpg