Second 390x?

I have an Asus Maximus VII Gene motherboard within Asus Strix R9 390x in it already. The board only has two PCIE slots. Would I be able to run another one to go up to 4K? I know the other card will fit but they will be right on top of eachother? I'm assuming I can otherwise there wouldn't be two slots but I wanted to check first.

You should be able to but you will also need a power supply that can feed both GPUs and a case with enough ventilation to keep them cool.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'm running some extra corsair fans that came with my h100i

What model of 390x are you using?

"What're you supposed to be? A clown or something?"

"...Sometimes."

how many watts are your PSU? i think it will fit but its going to drain a lot of power

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Asus Strix R9 390x. My case has some pretty nice ventilation, may look into getting a new one? Is the master case 5 hella expensive or should I go with a case from fractal designs? Wanna stay under $150 if possible

Unfortunately I won't be able to buy one, I can only afford around $450 for a gpu at the moment so I may as well go crossfire lol. Unless you can recommend a nice way to sell my card for a fair price? I've had it since August like brand new

I'm getting a 1200 watt psu from corsair

Extreme overkill :lol: , all you need is a 850-1000w. I run a 290 and 390 in crossfire with a 750w.

I also run 10 case fans.

Any cases you'd recommend under $150 that'll give me a lot of fan mounts?!

Define R5

It's really not as big of a deal as they are making it seem, you just need two 140's in the front and you'll drive the air out. The Strix has a really nice cooler.

It's really not as big of a deal as they are making it seem, you just need two 140's in the front and you'll drive the air out. The Strix has a really nice cooler.

I think you missed that the OP is thinking of running two in crossfire.

What will I need for exhaust? My front right now has my h100igtx in the front with two 120s a 120 on the top and a 120 in the rear?

When I SLId my 970s, I only had 2 case fans and temps were fine.

#whothefuckneeds10casefans

Everyone will have their own opinion of what qualifies as "fine". 51c for air temperature in the case is not "fine" in my opinion :lol: .

I run ten because then they never go over 1000rpm, another words my shit is silent.

I think you missed that the OP is thinking of running two in crossfire.

I know...

I know...

Then the TOS restricts my response. You should then understand that the more efficient the cooler attached to the GPU, the higher the case temperatures unless you have proper ventilation. We're not talking about a blower style cooler.

This would be the motherboard: https://www.asus.com/websites/global/products/sd6m57BTRp2aww2v/img/c02.png

I have taken a look at your motherboard, and it's a very good motherboard for dual graphics solutions.

+ There are two slots in between the pci-e 16x slots, so the cards doesn't sit right next to each other.

+ It has PCI-E 3.0, so bandwidth from card to card, and card to CPU will not be a problem.

The 390x is also a very good card for 4K crossfire, mainly due to it's 8GB frame buffer.

Lookins at 3Dmark firestrike results.

1050MHZ core, 6000MHZ core (AMD factory settings)

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6060731

Graphics score: 25 099

Which is certainly more than you can reasonably get from any single 980Ti. So the question is, are you willing to deal with some crossfire related problems? At least until DX12 becomes widespread and the GPUs are allowed to work together on one frame at a time.

But to answer your question. Yes it is possible.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

Then the TOS restricts my response. You should then understand that the more efficient the cooler attached to the GPU, the higher the case temperatures unless you have proper ventilation. We're not talking about a blower style cooler.

I do know that... I have owned 3 aftermarket coolers. They need to be in a wind vortex... they just need direction to provide the air once it is expelled from the sides. Optimally, they can get a Define R5 and set a side panel fan for exhaust. That's what I do for my HTPC in a Define R4.

I do know that... I have owned 3 aftermarket coolers. They need to be in a wind vortex... they just need direction to provide the air once it is expelled from the sides. Optimally, they can get a Define R5 and set a side panel fan for exhaust. That's what I do for my HTPC in a Define R4.

I can confirm this works. But it limit's the view of my bits. I like to look at my bits. So I has many case fans. :lol:

I can confirm this works. But it limit's the view of my bits. I like to look at my bits. So I has many case fans. :lol:

There are still some decent Corsair cases with side panel exhausts IIRC.

There are still some decent Corsair cases with side panel exhausts IIRC.

Mine had them. I spent 40 dollars having a custom side panel cut to remove them. Reasons. (none of them good)