970M Minecraft Issues

Creed1

Hello.

I just purchased my MSI Ghost Pro 002 Skylake model and it seems to be having issues. The issues occur when I play minecraft. When I played I was shocked because I was only getting around 50-60fps so I checked what graphics card I was playing with my integrated graphics processor (Intel 530 Graphics). So I quit the game and rightclicked minecraft.exe and choose to play with my 970M. When I checked it said it was running on my 970M, but I WAS ONLY GETTING 30FPS! I looked and it was locked on 30FPS and sometimes dropped below. Is there a solution to this? 

Thanks!

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Moved to Troubleshooting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

select a lower resolution and or less chunks to be loaded at the same time.

Still not working. When I use my weaker graphics card its fine. Just the 970M is having issues. Seems like it just keeps locking on to 30FPS

Hello.

I just purchased my MSI Ghost Pro 002 Skylake model and it seems to be having issues. The issues occur when I play minecraft. When I played I was shocked because I was only getting around 50-60fps so I checked what graphics card I was playing with my integrated graphics processor (Intel 530 Graphics). So I quit the game and rightclicked minecraft.exe and choose to play with my 970M. When I checked it said it was running on my 970M, but I WAS ONLY GETTING 30FPS! I looked and it was locked on 30FPS and sometimes dropped below. Is there a solution to this? 

Thanks!

Make sure your FPS is set to 60, 120, or unlimited in the Minecraft video settings.

set the max FPS to higher

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Hello.

I just purchased my MSI Ghost Pro 002 Skylake model and it seems to be having issues. The issues occur when I play minecraft. When I played I was shocked because I was only getting g on my 970M, but I WAS ONLY GETTING 30FPS! I looked and it was locked on 30FPS and sometimes dropped below. Is there a solution to this? 

Thanks!

minecraft is the worst optimized game ever made, it should run at 200 fps on intel integrated when maxed out, but it doesnt, cause its java, but anyway thats just how it works because it is so light of a load your gpu clock speed thinks it doesnt need to ramp up, minecraft is dumb like that or like they said to raise the fps cap if there is one

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Hello.

Thanks!

Rightclicking Minecraft.exe and selecting the graphics shouldn't do anything because the .exe just launches a different process, java.exe...

Make sure your FPS is set to 60, 120, or unlimited in the Minecraft video settings.

I tried that. It is said to unlimited. 

Alright, while I have a 860m, there are issues that I have had in the past that sound very familiar. 

Make sure that you have all the latest drivers and software installed on your laptop. Once this is done, go into the Nvidia control panel, and change the default graphics card to "High performance NVidia processor". Once that is done, go to to settings, have Minecraft open, then set the default for Java to the Nvidia GPU. 

That should solve the issue.

You might have to continue to right click and "Run with igh performance NVidia processor"

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Rightclicking Minecraft.exe and selecting the graphics shouldn't do anything because the .exe just launches a different process, java.exe...

No Still Works. Minecraft says its using my 970M Card. 

minecraft is the worst optimized game ever made, it should run at 200 fps on intel integrated when maxed out, but it doesnt, cause its java, but anyway thats just how it works because it is so light of a load your gpu clock speed thinks it doesnt need to ramp up, minecraft is dumb like that or like they said to raise the fps cap if there is one

Euhm, no.

The light load on the iGPU is because the weak CPU can't keep up. The iGPU doesn't clock higher because it doesn't need to, the CPU doesn't feed it rapidly enough.

Make sure you set FPS to Unlimited. 

If you are still having issues, try going to an older MC version.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

I tried that. It is said to unlimited. 

In the nvidia control panel, set java.exe to run with the nvidia card. IIRC the Minecraft.exe is just the launcher, and the actual process is java.exe.

Get GPU-Z and see if (in the sensors tab) if there's actually any load on either of your GPUs, because never trust ingame text...

Euhm, no.

The light load on the iGPU is because the weak CPU can't keep up. The iGPU doesn't clock higher because it doesn't need to, the CPU doesn't feed it rapidly enough.

lol no not at all if that was true cpu usage would b maxed out, if i can get over 100 fps in AAA games i should be able to AT LEAST do that in mincraft, bu it isnt optimized

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

Thanks. I fixed it. I had the laptop set to office mode xD

lol no not at all if that was true cpu usage would b maxed out, if i can get over 100 fps in AAA games i should be able to AT LEAST do that in mincraft, bu it isnt optimized

It's optimized, but it's limited by a single thread. Many games do and there's a very good reason for that...

Minecraft has 2 threads:

The server thread, which handles all the game logic (20 times (ticks) per second)

The rendering thread, which interpolates where everything should be, it does this by taking the values of the current tick and the last tick, and renders with them based on time past since last tick.

The renderthread enables you to achieve a smoother experience with the interpolation, considering the game would otherwise only run at 20FPS max, the interpolation however is a heavy thing to execute (imagine hundreds, if not thousands of values). This task can only run on a single thread because of limitations by OpenGL.

Guess what? Laptop CPUs are generally pretty bad on single-threaded performance, which is why your framerate doesn't go above 200fps... Which is more than enough anyway...

It's optimized, but it's limited by a single thread. Many games do and there's a very good reason for that...

Minecraft has 2 threads:

The server thread, which handles all the game logic (20 times (ticks) per second)

so its badly optimized cause it uses one thread....... thats what i said

so its badly optimized cause it uses one thread....... thats what i said

Because it can't use more.

Using more threads doesn't mean optimizing, it means throwing more raw horsepower at it.

Using more threads doesn't mean optimizing, it means throwing more raw horsepower at it.

lol throwing moe aw horsepower at minecraft is a waste of money unless you just insanely overclock a g3258, and a laptop 6th gen i7 doesnt have bad single core performance at all

Nevermind I noticed another issue. When I unplug the MSI Ghost Pro 002 it locks at 30fps, but when I plug in the laptop it exceeds over 200 FPS. Any solutions?

Nevermind I noticed another issue. When I unplug the MSI Ghost Pro 002 it locks at 30fps, but when I plug in the laptop it exceeds over 200 FPS. Any solutions?

Turn off power saving modes/options in settings?

I don't know. That's all I can think of.

Yay for bullshit laptop power saving profiles...

Managed by bullshit bloatware :D

lol throwing moe aw horsepower at minecraft is a waste of money unless you just insanely overclock a g3258, and a laptop 6th gen i7 doesnt have bad single core performance at all

That's not my point, Minecraft is as optimized as it can be on a single thread.

More threads doesn't mean it's more optimized, it means it can utilize more horsepower...