Tower doesn't like to be touched

Scarsz
Go to solution Solved by Moondrelor,

Time to perform an exorcism

Maybe something is shorting when you put pressure on the case 

This is what I'm thinking. Try replacing your case and see if it resolves your issue.

Or

Take everything out your case and put everything back in, make sure everything is cable managed to the best of your ability and see if you keep getting the issue.

Well, I have absolutely no idea what's wrong here. My computer, well, can't take any pressure on it, or else the display drivers crash (I believe), turning all monitors to no signal and sometimes the GPU fans go to 100%. You can plug in USB's and be fine as long as you don't give it too much force, but say you drop something on the tower like my PS4 controller, everything goes blank, computer sits there dormant. Same thing goes if you accidentally knock on it with your foot. This has lead to me moving my computer from under the desk to next to the desk, because I've kicked it so many times. Also, pressing the power button and releasing it normally doesn't appear to shut down the computer as it would if it hadn't been screwed up, so your only option is to hold the button down. This only started happening a month or so ago, it used to be completely fine with being kicked and whatnot. Turning the computer back on after it crashes, without touching anything, makes it turn on again fine which makes me believe nothing is loose.

Case: Hoplite ST White (if that matters)

GPUs: 2x R9 270x (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FLMKN6I), have had them since July 19, 2014

Driver version: 15.201.1151.1010-151118a-296614E

Edited by Scarsz

sounds like a HDD or a loose cable to me

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

sounds like a HDD or a loose cable to me

100% not, SATA cables have the snaps on them and both drives are mounted

100% not, SATA cables have the snaps on them and both drives are mounted

no, like a loose cable in general, anywhere

or a HDD that is reaching the end of its life

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

Check if the screws to your motherboard are properly screwed in.

Specs: i7-4790k with Thermaltake Water 3.0, EVGA GTX 970, MSI Z97 Gaming 3, Kingston HyperX 2x8 DDR3 1600Mhz, SSD Boot Drive/1TB HD, CM Storm Stryker, EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Peripherals: SS Rival, HyperX Cloud, G710+

no, like a loose cable in general, anywhere

or a HDD that is reaching the end of its life

Computer starts fine again immediately after which makes me believe it's not a loose cable

DI1fkbb.pngFFO7At3.png

Check if the screws to your motherboard are properly screwed in.

will do that now, pretty sure they are though

Any tips on finding shorts? I don't feel like this is the case because it happens with the side panel which isn't really touching anything, but worth a look

This is what I'm thinking. Try replacing your case and see if it resolves your issue.

Or

Take everything out your case and put everything back in, make sure everything is cable managed to the best of your ability and see if you keep getting the issue.

Why not rebuild it? I mean honestly building computers is fun and you will learn a decent amount more about your system on a second rebuild, like where dust settles. We can sit here and say a cable or a part hasn't come loose all day but that doesn't mean it hasn't until you do a rebuild and prove it.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Why not rebuild it? I mean honestly building computers is fun and you will learn a decent amount more about your system on a second rebuild, like where dust settles. We can sit here and say a cable or a part hasn't come loose all day but that doesn't mean it hasn't until you do a rebuild and prove it.

I think I'm just gonna do that, would be the third time though, will post an update in an hour or so

Basically what Vendetta said. Set some time aside if you can find some and take apart then put together your computer again. If could also be possible that you overtightened some screws, for example, the motherboard screws which may have caused the motherboard to short temporarily or something. Good luck.

EDIT: Damn, it's your third time already? Then I don't know if it's something with the build. What surface are you placing the computer on? Also, what case is the computer? (Also check for any over tightened screws) and what graphics card are you using?

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

Basically what Vendetta said. Set some time aside if you can find some and take apart then put together your computer again. If could also be possible that you overtightened some screws, for example, the motherboard screws which may have caused the motherboard to short temporarily or something. Good luck.

EDIT: Damn, it's your third time already? Then I don't know if it's something with the build. What surface are you placing the computer on? Also, what case is the computer? (Also check for any over tightened screws) and what graphics card are you using?

Not third time since the issue, I don't think I've rebuilt it since it's started happening, and it's on carpet. For the rest look at the OP

Computer starts fine again immediately after which makes me believe it's not a loose cable

will do that now, pretty sure they are though

Any tips on finding shorts? I don't feel like this is the case because it happens with the side panel which isn't really touching anything, but worth a look

Odd, just rebuild it like people are saying, make sure all the motherboard standoffs and such are in the correct place and such

Perhaps something is grounded to the case? All your PSU cables still sleeved? 

I think I'm just gonna do that, would be the third time though, will post an update in an hour or so

Yea I think I'm on my third or fourth rebuild of my system. Every time I get the cable management a little better but one thing to remember is that even though you're fairly comfortable with building your system don't get too comfy and allow yourself to make a mistake. I've had to catch myself doing this once and almost gouged my motherboard all to hell while installing water cooling brackets.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Well, update, after a couple "tests", problem no longer happens. Was either dust or there was a short somewhere, all good now though. Small imgur album for you guys to judge me with my limited cable management space: http://imgur.com/a/bhn4A

Oi OP, I have/had the same problem on my PC. Even sometimes when I slightly touched it, the image on the screen froze & I had to restart the PC to make it work again. Usually my problem was laying in the VGA cable being pushed too hard to the wall (like literally the part where it was coming out of the VGA connector). So I had to move my PC a bit forward & the problem didn't happen then [emoji1]

Oi OP, I have/had the same problem on my PC. Even sometimes when I slightly touched it, the image on the screen froze & I had to restart the PC to make it work again. Usually my problem was laying in the VGA cable being pushed too hard to the wall (like literally the part where it was coming out of the VGA connector). So I had to move my PC a bit forward & the problem didn't happen then [emoji1]

Nah that wasn't the problem, the connectors had room to spare and were plugged in. I feel like that's happened to my cards though, sounds familiar