2.5 Inch SATA III SSD or M2 SATA III SSD on Gaming Notebook?

Go to solution Solved by GlassBomb,

It's a normal M.2 that uses PCIe x4. I would almost look at something like an Samsung 950 if I had the spare change of money. Because silly fast speeds.

8-SATA.jpg

Hello,

I recently bought a gaming laptop and I am ditching its HDD for an SSD.

I have 2 bays type in my laptop, so i have 2 choices: either a 2.5 Inch SATA III SSD or a M2 SATA III SSD.

In this case, which SSD should i choose? The 2.5 inch one, or the M2 one? I saw Samsung has V-Nand technology on their 2.5 inc SSD's. Didn't see any reference to this V Nand on their M2 Sata III SSD's...

Thank you in advance :)

Here is the laptop model and the M2 slot layout: http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-g771-review-n751s-more-powerful-gaming-sibling/

Hello,

I have 2 bays type in my laptop, so i have 2 choices: either a 2.5 Inch SATA III SSD or a M2 SATA III SSD.

In this case, which SSD should i choose? The 2.5 inch one, or the M2 one?

SATA ssd's will be a bit slower but are cheaper, whereas m.2 drives are faster but more expensive.....

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

SATA ssd's will be a bit slower but are cheaper, whereas m.2 drives are faster but more expensive.....

You are wrong. Sata m.2 drives are just that, sata. No faster or slower than a 2.5 drive.

Hello,

In this case, which SSD should i choose? The 2.5 inch one, or the M2 one? I saw Samsung has V-Nand technology on their 2.5 inc SSD's. Didn't see any reference to this V Nand on their M2 Sata III SSD's...

Are you sure that the laptop supports both normal SATA SSD's and M.2 SSD's? Here is what an M.2 drive looks like.

Toshiba-HG5d-cSSD.jpg

You are wrong. Sata m.2 drives are just that, sata. No faster or slower than a 2.5 drive.

You're right. The only real advantage an M.2 SSD using the SATA 3 interface would be that it's smaller in size than a normal 2.5 inch SSD.

Worth to mention: The laptop I bought has a M.2 slot (not PCI but Sata)...

Worth to mention: The laptop I bought has a M.2 slot (not PCI but Sata)...

Then it is limited to the same kind of bandwidths as normal SATA III. Which would be up to around ~550MB/s.

depends whether PCIe or SATA.....

PCIe has higher bandwith so can get 2x speed of SSD 

Member title post link!

Are you sure that the laptop supports both normal SATA SSD's and M.2 SSD's? Here is what an M.2 drive looks like.

Toshiba-HG5d-cSSD.jpg

You're right. The only real advantage an M.2 SSD using the SATA 3 interface would be that it's smaller in size than a normal 2.5 inch SSD.

This is the laptop, here you can also see the slot:

http://laptopmedia.com/review/asus-rog-g771-review-n751s-more-powerful-gaming-sibling/

So go ssd! or keep HDD and by an m.2 ssd and put os on it and any games and have HDD as other stuff drive....

Member title post link!

It's a normal M.2 that uses PCIe x4. I would almost look at something like an Samsung 950 if I had the spare change of money. Because silly fast speeds.

8-SATA.jpg

so, that M2 supports both sata and PCIe x4?

No. It's an PCIe x4 slot.

Edit: If you open up the back of your laptop. Then you will see that you should have room for two 2.5 Inch hard drives, and one M.2 drive.

No. It's an PCIe x4 slot.

Edit: If you open up the back of your laptop. Then you will see that you should have room for two 2.5 Inch hard drives, and one M.2 drive.

I saw now. there are different types of M2's and the notches differ for every type of it. Now i saw the pricing of those PCIe X4 ssd's....its almost double the cost of a 2.5 inch SSD O.o

But is the performance double?  At Samsung 951, the read speeds, yes, i can see almost 4 times higher speeds...but the write speed is 600Mb/s ... and the 2.5 850 evo has around 500Mb/sec