Microsoft responds to carrier availability questions about Lumia 950 and 950 XL

SansVarnic

Microsoft responds to carrier availability questions about Lumia 950 and 950 XL

KELLOGG BRENGEL

http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-responds-carrier-availability-questions-lumia-950-950-xl

Microsoft attempts to address the issue about why only AT&T was picked to introduce the new Lumia phones. 

Make sure to read the whole article.

Over the weekend we reported that Verizon points the blame at Microsoft for the latest Windows 10 Mobile phones, the Lumia 950 and the Lumia 950XL, only being available for purchase at AT&T and/or unlocked at the Microsoft Store in the US.

Below Verizon tries to make MSFT the reason they don't carry the new phones but read it carefully, Verizon attempts to shift blame on MSFT but Verizon specifically states they would not carry the phone either way. Verizon has had a past of not wanting to sell the Windows Phone series for years, notice they still call it Nokia and not Microsoft.

In a response to a consumer’s letter, Verizon’s Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division revealed that Verizon was never approached by Microsoft to sell either of the two latest Lumia phones. The letter stated:

Because there has been little consumer demand for Windows 10 Smartphones, Verizon has chosen to not carry the Nokia Lumia 10 in its retail channels. However, if Nokia still wanted to make the device available to Verizon customers, it could have the device certified for use on the Verizon network through Verizon’s Open Development program. To date, Nokia has not chosen to do so.”

Below T-Mobile stated that they want to carry the Windows Phone but a deal wasn't made.

In the letter Verizon refers to Microsoft as Nokia. The statement reflected earlier comments by T-Mobile CEO John Legere who said,

“To be clear: We did not turn down the new Windows devices. MSFT gave to AT&T. If Microsoft wakes up, we’ll talk about T-Mobile carrying.”

post-229093-0-64509600-1448940782_thumb.

MSFT is at fault for not releasing the phone through all the available carriers but it is a numbers thing that MSFT is "playing it safe" to make sure the sales show an interest before releasing it to every one. At least MSFT has allowed for unlock versions to be sold in it store along with the AT&T so those that do want it can get it. MSFT has said that the phone is compatible with all carriers physically (antenna compatibility) and when the time comes it will release the software updates and work with carriers to add full compatibility for their service.

I am honestly happy that those that want the phone can get it but at the same time I don't like the single carrier release, it is a bad move, in my opinion. The decision behind this wasn't properly thought out, I think MSFT underestimated/underplayed the amount of demand for this phone.

Thoughts?

*edit

I forgot to note that the new Lumia 950 & 950XL were sold out within 12hrs of release both in store and online.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You have to try harder to get a failure of a mobile OS off the ground. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

honsetly i think it wasnt MSFT's problem... well kinda and kinda not.. but i think it is the carries that are disinterested in holding stock of these phones that not many want... i mean the last time a flagship phone came out for the lumia line it didnt sell so quick and i imagine they sat on stock for longer than they wanted to of those phones.... so verizon definitaly gives no shits about whidows phones and t-mobile probaly equaly so...

im still waiting for them to be in stock on microsofts site >.<

I wanted one. Then I seen it was going to cost $1000 unlocked.. With the limited apps I decided to pass.

Say what you will, but there is a growing Universal App trend from developers. This means more apps on Windows 10 Mobile.

In addition, Microsoft created what they call 'Bridges', several to help developers ports their apps to the Windows 10 Universal App platform.

And it said by Windows Phone users (I don't know, I never had one), that Windows 10 Mobile is a fairly mature OS, and is finally ready to start competing.

Personally, while I am interested in getting the Lumia 950 XL (I seriously don't care about the lack of apps) for a variety of reasons, I see that the Lumia 950/950 XL is just a test platform for Microsoft. Meaning it wants users, probably Windows Phone 8 users to upgrade to it (free), or get these new phones, so that they report any bugs and issues, and provide further suggestions for improving the OS, for a polished released with the 'Surface Phone', which I expect to be powered by an Intel Atom CPU (hence the CPU 'liquid cooling' feature on the high end models), and while still run Windows 10 Mobile, it will be able to run Win32 apps via Continuum, have more performance, and by then, it should have a larger variety of universal apps. At least cover the cores ones for most people. Of course, that is all just speculation, but not unfounded. It has been reported that Microsoft is indeed looking in running Win32 apps under Continuum feature.

I wanted one. Then I seen it was going to cost $1000 unlocked.. With the limited apps I decided to pass.

Say thank you to our lovely currency. Else, the 950 XL is only 650$, and 550$ for the non XL version.

<snip>

Personally, while I am interested in getting the Lumia 950 XL (I seriously don't care about the lack of apps) for a variety of reasons, I see that the Lumia 950/950 XL is just a test platform for Microsoft. Meaning it wants users, probably Windows Phone 8 users to upgrade to it (free), or get these new phones, so that they report any bugs and issues, and provide further suggestions for improving the OS, for a polished released with the 'Surface Phone', which I expect to be powered by an Intel Atom CPU (hence the CPU 'liquid cooling' feature on the high end models), and while still run Windows 10 Mobile, it will be able to run Win32 apps via Continuum, have more performance, and by then, it should have a larger variety of universal apps. At least cover the cores ones for most people. Of course, that is all just speculation, but not unfounded. It has been reported that Microsoft is indeed looking in running Win32 apps under Continuum feature.

I have speculated on this myself but was afraid to speak on it. I had no references to go on but my own deductions.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Say thank you to our lovely currency. Else, the 950 XL is only 650$, and 550$ for the non XL version.

Such a shame that I bought my phone 6 months ago instead of now. I would have been able to afford the non XL. Oh well, I feel a bit left out. To be honest my next smartphone might be Surface Phone 2 or the Lumia 960 XL. I just hope Microsoft offers a drop in replacement and a suitable upgrade path in December 2016.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Verizon,Fuck you! We can smell your troll ugliness miles away.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

honsetly i think it wasnt MSFT's problem... well kinda and kinda not.. but i think it is the carries that are disinterested in holding stock of these phones that not many want... i mean the last time a flagship phone came out for the lumia line it didnt sell so quick and i imagine they sat on stock for longer than they wanted to of those phones.... so verizon definitaly gives no shits about whidows phones and t-mobile probaly equaly so...

im still waiting for them to be in stock on microsofts site >.<

Thing is Microsoft is trying to hard here. I understand that they dropped a lot of money on Nokia's phone production line and they want to get a return from it.

As for Verizon they have been anti WP from the beginning, they have grudgingly sold the phone and have been known to refer people away from buying it in favor of the iPhone. So screw Verizon, I never liked Verizon and this makes like them even less.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Say what you will, but there is a growing Universal App trend from developers. This means more apps on Windows 10 Mobile.

In addition, Microsoft created what they call 'Bridges', several to help developers ports their apps to the Windows 10 Universal App platform.

And it said by Windows Phone users (I don't know, I never had one), that Windows 10 Mobile is a fairly mature OS, and is finally ready to start competing.

I have used a windows phone before and the OS is very polished. Just the lack of apps is killing it. And the ones that do exist are outdated knock-offs most of the time.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Microsoft should just let us buy a phone for x$ x 24 months.

Man, that's a stupid statement.

What I dont get is, prices of games and products are much lower in some countries because their money is only worth potatoes. I dont get how the price is not the same in Canada, it should just be 650$ and they should pocket the loss. Honestly for Microsoft, paying 300$ per phone per marketshare is probably not that expensive.