GTX 980ti G1 6GB - Fallout 4 "Running low on memory"

Gauzl

After an hour or two of playtime, I may get an error that my PC is running low on memory and within seconds the game will forcefully shutdown. 

I play at 2560x1440p and have all settings at their max, I have tried lowering certain settings such as Anisotropic filtering and all advanced settings down from ultra to high mainly to maintain a FPS over 60 but apart from that, I still get the error that I'm running low on memory.

The rest of my set up is as is

I7 6700K and 8GB DDR4 RAM.

Low on video memory or system memory?

On system memory its recommended is 8gb which if you have stuff in the background open/running that might be your issue.

If its video memory get a replacement I played fallout 4 max at 3440x1440 win I had my single 980ti and never had an issue

You may very well be running out of RAM.... 8Gb is not really enough for FO4. Its one of the only new AAA games that stores alot of texture information in RAM (so using lots). This is why you see benchmarks floating around the internet showing faster RAM speeds with FO4 = More FPS.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Low on video memory or system memory?

On system memory its recommended is 8gb which if you have stuff in the background open/running that might be your issue.

If its video memory get a replacement I played fallout 4 max at 3440x1440 win I had my single 980ti and never had an issue

Definitely must be system memory, but I'll have to double check. 

Definitely must be system memory, but I'll have to double check. 

Yea that would most likely be the issue

8 GB is enough, but the problem may be from other sources like system hogging your ram.

Might be your paging file size.  I recently did a clean install of windows 10 and was having that error in Skyrim.

- Go to your System properties window under Control Panel > System and Security > System

- Use the Advanced System Settings link on the left

- Advanced tab > Performance > Settings

- Performance options > Advanced > Virtual Memory > Change

- Change the paging file size to System Managed Size > hit set then ok

Hope that explanation makes sense, might slightly different depending on your version of windows.

Edit: I recommend checking this before fiddling with your hardware config, seems to be that the default paging size particularly on smaller SSD sizes can be maxed rather quickly causing that error.  Letting the system manage the paging file size itself seems to solve the issue, as having a 980ti and 8GB of ram should be easily enough for vanilla Fallout 4.  It's a rather stupid error message tbh, it leads you to think that it's your hardware causing the issue but it's a software/OS issue.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

Try finding another stick of RAM and see if the error persists.

A 980Ti should be able to run the game fine.

Got the same message with 16Gig on my system

Definitely check your paging file size, if it were a hardware issue

@Gauzl & @Jahramika - to clarify this is the message you're getting? (but obviously not with IE - I just pulled this from a Youtube video since it's the same message I was getting from Skyrim)  This is the one related to the paging file issue and can be solved by following the steps in my other post.

post-162296-0-22605800-1448930632.jpg

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

I don´t think it´s your VRAM it is your system memory as stated already above. There´s actually a noticeable difference between 8GB RAM and 16+GB RAM in this games , for your Frametimes will be a lot better with 16GB RAM. So you might think about adding 8GB more for Christmas hehe :).

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling