Mixing headphones. Will these do ?

maximilian4o
Go to solution Solved by TechStyle,

I know. A lot of people use monitors, but I can't throw that kind of money. I just want to know what can I get for as most as 60-70$ and use them for mixing. I know it won't be a right choice, but whatever's best for the price. + I don't make beats. I guess they come pre-mixed. All I want to do is mix my Rap vocals, lay them on top of the beat and master the whole thing. But I'm not mixing as in making instrumentals and/or fiddling drums, guitars etc. Thank you ^^

Looking at your signature, you already have a pair of 598s and a 2i2. Your 598s will do a better job that those Razers and since you already have an audio interface you can add a set of monitors for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448820494&sr=8-4&keywords

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448820494&sr=8-3&keywords

Now these monitors are far from the best monitors you can get but even these will be farrr farrrr better than any headphones you will mix on.

EDIT: Those AV30s don't have TRS inputs. You'll have to buy an adapter.

Hey guys. I got a question, but first of all... please don't give me advice unless you know what you're talking about cause I'm already pretty confused :D I decided to start working with music. I want some mixing headphones. I WONT be mixing for other people. I just need something to do my own music with. And I got a crazy deal in my country for a pair of new Razer Adaro Stereo. 60$... which is dirt cheap considered they cost 135$ retail. So, do you guys think it'll be good enough for mixing ? Or should I get something else up to 60$ ? BTW I'm currently using a pair of Earbuds from my old iPhone 4. Thank you for your time :)

The headphones in reference are these: http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Adaro-Stereos-Analog-Headphones/dp/B00I4XMJ22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448819727&sr=8-1&keywords=Razer+Adaro+Stereo

*That's not the deal, I just placed them so yall know what I'm talking about :)

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

2 things.

1. You want to mix on studio monitors. These will not only give you precise sound but also a solid stereo image.

2. Headphones have terrible stereo image and your mixes will come out mushy and crowded. Even $1000 custom IEMs that are meant for mixing are only meant to be used when you can't reach your monitors. 

If u're not going to do anything for someone else and this is just your hobby - then anything will work and u shouldn't read below.

So, if u're reading this, u're going further - those headphones are crap for music editing.

Trusted brands (for below 200$): beyerdynamics, audiotechnica, sennheiser, takstar.

You will find out very quick, that things u do on cheap (crap) headphones will sound very different in real scene.

As for me, I use sennheiser pcx 450 as a monitor for my nord lead x2. Everything sounds similar at home and in the scene.

EDIT: and yeah, razer has like nothing in common with music. really.

2 things.

1. You want to mix on studio monitors. These will not only give you precise sound but also a solid stereo image.

2. Headphones have terrible stereo image and your mixes will come out mushy and crowded. Even $1000 custom IEMs that are meant for mixing are only meant to be used when you can't reach your monitors. 

I know. A lot of people use monitors, but I can't throw that kind of money. I just want to know what can I get for as most as 60-70$ and use them for mixing. I know it won't be a right choice, but whatever's best for the price. + I don't make beats. I guess they come pre-mixed. All I want to do is mix my Rap vocals, lay them on top of the beat and master the whole thing. But I'm not mixing as in making instrumentals and/or fiddling drums, guitars etc. Thank you ^^

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Looking at your signature, you already have a pair of 598s and a 2i2. Your 598s will do a better job that those Razers and since you already have an audio interface you can add a set of monitors for cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448820494&sr=8-4&keywords

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448820494&sr=8-3&keywords

Now these monitors are far from the best monitors you can get but even these will be farrr farrrr better than any headphones you will mix on.

EDIT: Those AV30s don't have TRS inputs. You'll have to buy an adapter.

http://www.amazon.com/Mackie-CR-CR3-Reference-Multimedia/dp/B00KVEIY4E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448820494&sr=8-4&keywords=m+audio+av40

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-Active-Monitor-Speakers/dp/B0051WAM1O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1448820494&sr=8-3&keywords=m+audio+av40

Thing is... I don't have the 598s anymore. That's the problem. I already have a 5.1 audio system tho. Its old-ish but I use it for music. Think that will do ? I think it's a "Medion MD 4847 5.1". IF NOT, do you think it would make that much of a difference between the monitors and the Razer pair, for mixing vocals ?

Thing is... I don't have the 598s anymore. That's the problem. I already have a 5.1 audio system tho. Its old-ish but I use it for music. Think that will do ? I think it's a "Medion MD 4847 5.1". IF NOT, do you think it would make that much of a difference between the monitors and the Razer pair, for mixing vocals ?

An audio system like that will color the sound and would definitely not give you a realistic stereo image. I keep on hounding on stereo image but it's because you want your vocals to "sit right" within the mix. It's the difference of a professional sounding mix to a complete amateurs. Yes, I'd still recommend a monitor set over a headphones, especially $60 razer ones. 

I realize you're not mixing for anyone other than yourself but if you mix on the razers don't plan on listening to your mix on anything else as there's a very large chance it's not going to translate well. 

An audio system like that will color the sound and would definitely not give you a realistic stereo image. I keep on hounding on stereo image but it's because you want your vocals to "sit right" within the mix. It's the difference of a professional sounding mix to a complete amateurs. Yes, I'd still recommend a monitor set over a headphones, especially $60 razer ones. 

I realize you're not mixing for anyone other than yourself but if you mix on the razers don't plan on listening to your mix on anything else as there's a very large chance it's not going to translate well. 

Yeah, I was pretty afraid that the vocals wouldn't sit right on top of the beat. IF you're taking into consideration the fact that I will be mixing only Rap vocals and still think the vocals would sound off... (Im just using stuff such as DeEsser, Compressor, Limiter and Volume Automation) then I will go with the monitors. BTW I'm sorry for the large amount of things to ask for, but I wanted to justify staying with a pair of iPhone 4 earbuds so I can buy monitors instead of headphones :D Thank you !