How old were you when you built your own pc?

MrIceCremeLollipop

I think when I was 15. Reason being, I never really had a reason to. I had a laptop and really only played minecraft.

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

7, ish

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

The first time I built an entire PC all at once was 2010, and I was 25. But I've been tinkering with PC systems since I was about 14 or so. I probably knew most of what I'd have needed to know by 16-ish.

I built mine when I was 14, 8 months ago. I have no money, no life, no friends now. Worth it? The additional 30fps  and superior graphics are my new friends.

does, taking a pc fully apart and then putting it back together count?

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

I think I was about 13, nearly 14. Built my first computer with a Core 2 Duo E4500 and a Geforce 8500 GT in it. Oh, those were the days.

I was 23. First time I bought everything and build it on my own.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

If you count tearing down and rebuilding a computer, like 12 or 13. The first actual build I think I was 16, maybe 15. I remember what year I built it (2004) but I don't remember when exactly that year I built it.

I was around  12 or 13 i would say, but this was way back (1994'ish)

Oh man. This thread brings back so many memories. My first build was like 2011 (or 2010, i don't remember). an AMD phenom II x6 1055t. Still in use to this day. It has 240 gig SSD, 1tb WD black HDD, an R9 290 (it used to have two 5770's in CFX when i first got it) and a 750 watt PSU. It served me well, and overclocked like a champ, even though i didn't use the black edition CPU (with an unlocked multiplier) That's my only regret, not getting the black edition. Even still, with memory tweaks I am OC'd to 3.7 GHz. (3.8 but she will blue screen every couple of hours) I was 15 at the time. So many memories..

Since then I have discovered the Linus tech tips god and literally watched every video since 2009. (anyone remember his rampage 2 video?)  Now here I am, the age of 20, will be 21 this Saturday, and I have a beast 5960x I have spent 7 months on choosing parts,  debating on whether to wait for broadwell-e. whether go to for an expensive custom water cooling loop or not, and debating the Intel 750 series 1.2tb PCIE ssd. 

Oh god Linus, what HAVE you done to us...Our need for more and the best has turned us into spending monsters..

Do you even fanboy bro?

Did my first upgrade when I was 12, I doubled the RAM on a old Dell Optiplex Pentium 3 machine. It's a amazing old machine, it still works, I use it occasionally to play old games like Moto Racer.

I Built my first computer from scratch out of spare parts from family members when I was 14. It was a Athlon 64 1.8ghz CPU and a Radeon 9600 Pro. The computer is still in use to this day (upgraded and overclocked to a Athlon x2 2.9ghz) and it's my steam streaming PC. Awesome old PC, older AMD CPUs are so cool! :)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

I knew how to build since I was 16. Built my own this year. I am now 20 y/o. Started last September, and added the last parts yesterday. Woot Woot ! :D

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

When I was 15. Took me a year to save up after I got my first job.

Was a baller rig too.

4770k and GTX 780.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Just this year at the age of 22. I could never afford to build a PC worth making for myself out of new parts until recently. I always took apart old PCs though at a much earlier age around 12-13. I remember my brother giving me his old computer and it could only run Left for Dead @720p on low settings at around 30fps. I usually just replaced drives and put more ram in them. I learned a lot more than I'd ever thought I would about PCs after watching literally hundreds of videos on Youtube about computers and tech. Then I stumbled across LTT... We all know how that goes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I was 15 when I upgraded my prebuilt, built one computer for me mate when I was 16, and built an ITX machine this fall (age 17)

Not exactly "built" - my first PC was an old Pentium 4 chassy with 512Mb DDR400 RAM, 80Gb IDE drive, and a 5:4 LCD monitor, almost 9-10 years ago

Spoiler