GTX 680 or R9 280X (4K)

YonathanZ
Go to solution Solved by Cheddle,

I wonder if I even want to use the new 43" TV for anything but movies. And since movies are 99% FHD, then I can happily live with a GTX 680 or a 280x, which should provide a better gaming experience at 1080p than a 960 card. But 4K movies are coming rather soon. Damn, I can't decide. Is the 960 OK/good/great for 1080p gaming? Arkham Knight? GTA V? 

960 is "fine" for 1080 - check some reviews for benchmarks - really not much better than a 680... but uses less power and comes with HDMI 2.0

GTA5 will be fine, cant comment on arkham knight.

mate of mine uses a 40inch 4k as a desk monitor. its EXCELLENT to play games on. 

Hi,

Today I'm gonna buy one of these cards, used of course. The price is identical. I have a new 4K TV on its way (VIZIO m43-c1).

Neither card has an HDMI 2.0 output, so they can't give me 4K @ 60hz through HDMI. The 680 can do it via DisplayPort though, while the 280x is limited to 50hz.

In DAILY USE (web browsing and Photoshop editing), will the 10hz difference matter at all?

Because last night I was leaning towards the GTX 680 because of this difference, and then I realized that neither card will run games at 4K at 60fps anyway... And for lower resolution, both can do 60hz easily, and maybe even 60 FPS at 1440p or at least 1080p. And when that is considered, the 280X seems preferable because benchmarks show it's about 10fps faster in many games, and it's also newer and has a better cooling (the 680 is reference model, so can't OC it).

What do you think? Does 50hz vs 60hz for desktop use even matter? I think that would be the deciding factor.

PS. THE 680 is the 4GB version!

In normal desktop use you won't notice a difference

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

280X - more VRAM

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

By the generalization that the lower tier card of the next generation preforms about the same as the last gens 1 class higher GPU.

the 680~770~960

The R9 280x (or HD 7970) for the win!

Although I have a 680, I would lean towards the 280X, because of the extra GB of VRAM on it. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

By the generalization that the lower tier card of the next generation preforms about the same as the last gens 1 class higher GPU.

the 680~770~960

The R9 280x (or HD 7970) for the win!

Actually, (only) this time, it is 680 = 770 > 960. :)

Generally, the 680 and 280X are close (if not too much VRAM is needed), but if one would win, it would most likely be the 280X.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I forgot to mention, the 680 is the 4GB version, while the 280X has 3GB (MSI R9 280x GAMING 3G).

vram doesn't even matter at all in this case, since you won't be gaming. I'd say go with whichever is cheaper. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

vram doesn't even matter at all in this case, since you won't be gaming. I'd say go with whichever is cheaper. 

I will be gaming, just not at 4K since neither card can handle it at a decent framerate. Now it appears that my new TV doesn't support 1440p at 60hz, but only 30fps. I don't even know if it supports 50hz at 4K, which is all the 280x can output at 4K.

I will be gaming, just not at 4K since neither card can handle it at a decent framerate. Now it appears that my new TV doesn't support 1440p at 60hz, but only 30fps. I don't even know if it supports 50hz at 4K, which is all the 280x can output at 4K.

Since you won't be gaming at 4K. Then the 280x. Its faster now after all the driver updates.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Since you won't be gaming at 4K. Then the 280x. Its faster now after all the driver updates.

OK, now I just have to figure out if the TV supports 50hz. Otherwise I'd only get 30hz from the 280x at 4K.

Din´t know that the TV comes with a display port?

I use a Sony 55" Bravia 4K TV with my GTX980 because I wanted the HDMI2.0 of the GPU and the HDMI 2.2 of the TV to get me the 4K 60Hz. 30Hz kills my eyes I tried it and it looks terrible not to mention that you won´t be able to use 4:4:4 color. Do yourself a favor and buy neither of these cards, both are a terrible choice for a 4K TV. But instead save up some money and buy a GTX960 4GB. That way you can enjoy 1080p gaming with good FPS and have on screen when you work 60Hz.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Din´t know that the TV comes with a display port?

I use a Sony 55" Bravia 4K TV with my GTX980 because I wanted the HDMI2.0 of the GPU and the HDMI 2.2 of the TV to get me the 4K 60Hz. 30Hz kills my eyes I tried it and it looks terrible not to mention that you won´t be able to use 4:4:4 color. Do yourself a favor and buy neither of these cards, both are a terrible choice for a 4K TV. But instead save up some money and buy a GTX960 4GB. That way you can enjoy 1080p gaming with good FPS and have on screen when you work 60Hz.

The 960 4GB costs 50% more than a used 680 4GB or 280x 3GB. It's also less powerful.

The TV I bought doesn't have DisplayPort. I'm counting on this adapter that will be released in a month or so:

http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Meanwhile, I'll be using 4K at 30hz in the desktop and game at 1080p 60fps, which either card should handle easily.

The 960 4GB costs 50% more than a used 680 4GB or 280x 3GB. It's also less powerful.

The TV I bought doesn't have DisplayPort. I'm counting on this adapter that will be released in a month or so:

http://club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/mini-displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

Meanwhile, I'll be using 4K at 30hz in the desktop and game at 1080p 60fps, which either card should handle easily.

In 1080p a GTX960 is good and it is true a R9 280X is faster than the GTX960 but the adapter will be another 40-50 bucks that adds up and besides that a GTX960 is a modern chip that can not only handle native 4K 60Hz but also 4K video which all the other cards (including my GTX980) can´t.

I use my HTPC as entertainment and gaming station with my 4K TV but if you are seeking to use your PC as main PC then the GTX960 might be not the right choice if it is only about raw computing power.

BTW the TV you are going to buy is a pretty solid choice for gaming because it has fairly low input lag. Good choice.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

I might settle for 30hz during desktop use, then. To be honest, I've wanted a big screen for my room for months, just for movies and TV shows. Then I saw this great price on a highly praised 4K TV, and now I delved into this mess which is 4K gaming. :D

So, I was thinking, is there a way to force my current monitor to run at 30hz? I have to see what it's like in general use before I buy any of the cards...

And what do you mean the 960 is for 4K movies? Are you saying the others won't playback 4K movies?

I might settle for 30hz during desktop use, then. To be honest, I've wanted a big screen for my room for months, just for movies and TV shows. Then I saw this great price on a highly praised 4K TV, and now I delved into this mess which is 4K gaming. :D

So, I was thinking, is there a way to force my current monitor to run at 30hz? I have to see what it's like in general use before I buy any of the cards...

And what do you mean the 960 is for 4K movies? Are you saying the others won't playback 4K movies?

Well 4K is great I drive my gaming monitor with a Titan X 2way SLI and it looks soo fantastic. Even older gams look like gems ;). On my living room HTPC due to the fact that I only have a GTX980 in there I have some games such as i.e. Assetto Corsa, that I play in 1080p. I just want a good experience. Here I wait for Pascal next year.

You can set your monitor to lower Hz but 30Hz annoys me personally, but then again everybody has a different perception of things. Just because I´m so picky about doesn´t mean you won´t be able to enjoy it.

The thing with the GTX960 is that is is able to encode H.265. That means it is cabable of 4K movies, which most of the other GPUs out there can´t. Well one might say, that there´s not much 4K content out there right now, but this will change in the next one or two years. I wouldn´t be too worried about it right now, because you can always sell your GPU in one or two years and buy something newer :).

I thought the 280x was 60hz 4k over DP?

I dont recall 50hz when I used one for a little while on my u28d590... maybe I am just derping.

Either way as stated above getting the right TV is a challenge... 60hz 4k at 4:4:4.

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

Well 4K is great I drive my gaming monitor with a Titan X 2way SLI and it looks soo fantastic. Even older gams look like gems ;). On my living room HTPC due to the fact that I only have a GTX980 in there I have some games such as i.e. Assetto Corsa, that I play in 1080p. I just want a good experience. Here I wait for Pascal next year.

You can set your monitor to lower Hz but 30Hz annoys me personally, but then again everybody has a different perception of things. Just because I´m so picky about doesn´t mean you won´t be able to enjoy it.

The thing with the GTX960 is that is is able to encode H.265. That means it is cabable of 4K movies, which most of the other GPUs out there can´t. Well one might say, that there´s not much 4K content out there right now, but this will change in the next one or two years. I wouldn´t be too worried about it right now, because you can always sell your GPU in one or two years and buy something newer :).

Yeah that makes sense, not much 4K content right now, but some movies are already coming as soon as January 2016. 

And I want to use my TV at 60hz, which I cannot do with anything but a 960, unless I get that adapter which is nowhere to be found at the moment.

I thought the 280x was 60hz 4k over DP?

I dont recall 50hz when I used one for a little while on my u28d590... maybe I am just derping.

Either way as stated above getting the right TV is a challenge... 60hz 4k at 4:4:4.

The 280x has many variations of course. I found a used MSI one, and it has a Mini DP, and the specs page on MSI's site says 4K @ 50hz. Since my TV can't do 50hz, 30hz will be used instead. 

Yeah that makes sense, not much 4K content right now, but some movies are already coming as soon as January 2016. 

And I want to use my TV at 60hz, which I cannot do with anything but a 960, unless I get that adapter which is nowhere to be found at the moment.

The 280x has many variations of course. I found a used MSI one, and it has a Mini DP, and the specs page on MSI's site says 4K @ 50hz. Since my TV can't do 50hz, 30hz will be used instead. 

ahhh lame... I was using an XFX DD 280x and I am quite sure that it supported 60hz 4k

don't settle for 30hz. 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

ahhh lame... I was using an XFX DD 280x and I am quite sure that it supported 60hz 4k

don't settle for 30hz. 

I wonder if I even want to use the new 43" TV for anything but movies. And since movies are 99% FHD, then I can happily live with a GTX 680 or a 280x, which should provide a better gaming experience at 1080p than a 960 card. But 4K movies are coming rather soon. Damn, I can't decide. Is the 960 OK/good/great for 1080p gaming? Arkham Knight? GTA V? 

OK, now I just have to figure out if the TV supports 50hz. Otherwise I'd only get 30hz from the 280x at 4K.

i think 30 is ok because right now on my laptop i get 14fps in poly bridge (lowest presets)

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

960 is "fine" for 1080 - check some reviews for benchmarks - really not much better than a 680... but uses less power and comes with HDMI 2.0

mate of mine uses a 40inch 4k as a desk monitor. its EXCELLENT to play games on. 

Not much better than a 680? You mean it IS better, to some degree? I thought a 680 or 280x will blow it out of the water.

EDIT: Checked some benchmarks, GTX 960 4GB seems close enough to even the 280X. I'm gonna OC it if I feel like it.

Got my answer then. Thank you.

So I'm going to pick up a 960 from a local store tomorrow. The difference between a PALIT 960 2GB with reference cooling and GIGABYTE 960 4GB with 2 fans is $31. Which one should I go for? Will it matter for 1080 gaming and 4K video playback? Does video playback care about VRAM at all?

Edit: Nevermind, made up my mind on the 4GB.

So I'm going to pick up a 960 from a local store tomorrow. The difference between a PALIT 960 2GB with reference cooling and GIGABYTE 960 4GB with 2 fans is $31. Which one should I go for? Will it matter for 1080 gaming and 4K video playback? Does video playback care about VRAM at all?

I would go for the 4gb variant. Gigabytes version is good, nice and cool and quiet (it is a little taller than it could have been...) be mindful of your case size.

For video playback it wont make any difference at all. It will help in games