Would a 50MB/s difference in an SSD make a difference in boot times, or game loading times?

Noirgheos

I'm talking from 500MB/s to 550MB/s.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

The slightest of differences yes but like the difference between having your CPU clocked at 4.5 to 4.6 so it wouldn't matter.

It's not like you're offloading 4K video footage, so no, the difference is negligible. 

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

It's not gonna be that noticeable in boot times and when loading games. Unless you're doing really large file transfers all the time, you won't see much of a benefit going from 500MB/s to 550MB/s.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

The big reason SSDs are faster than HDD is that the random IO speeds go from like 0.5 - 1.5 MB/s up to like 20 MB/s.  That change in sustained speed is not going to be significant at all.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

no

you shouldnt buy an SSD based on its speeds (unless its really bad, like 200 or 300MBps)

you should buy based on reliability and write endurance

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well if you are going to be transfering say 20 meg files then no difference will be spotted but if your transfering large say 100 gig files yes you will notice a difference about 30 seconds or so but in reality its not much, where that number really counts is if you transfer lots of smaller files. but 50MB/s isnt a hard hit. now if you said 550 or 200 then you would notice it instantly.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll hold off then. Wait until xmas to get one.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

More than just speeds, keep an eye on the iops ratings.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Also something to look at besides IOPS is the drive features, and if its been proven to keep up with the stated read and write speeds, a 500MB/s burst is one thing and will show the drive start to slow down after the burst, Another thing is the type of ssd SLC or MLC or even TLC, and what features it has and if your motherboard supports it. 

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

Also, never blindly believe the advertised speed - go look up actual benchmarks.  Sometimes they will vary greatly...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I don't even bother looking at seq R/W. It feels like they're marketing terms like "Gaming" items, it's all about IOPS, Random 4K Q32 depth R/W for me when comparing storage solutions.

I don't even bother looking at seq R/W. It feels like they're marketing terms like "Gaming" items, it's all about IOPS, Random 4K Q32 depth R/W for me when comparing storage solutions.

Actually I think the regular 4K number is far more representative of what you'll get in real world usage.  Not many workloads will act like the Q32 test as far as I know.