Why is the NZXT S340 so popular?

RE_V3RSE
Go to solution Solved by watts300,

59$, this is a 90$ case but 60$ on amazon right now...this completely DESTROY the 340 in terms of build quality and look:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011A2LWZI/?tag=pcpapi-20

Looks are subjective.  I personally think the S340 is more attractive. 

@RE_V3RSE I've bought two S340 cases because I think they're great. Functional reasons:

-two large air intake openings in the front behind the panel. 

-feet are tall and provide airflow for the PSU's bottom vent. 

-captive thumb screws

-side panels are easily removed and replaced even with a full nest of cables in the back. (Unlike the H440, which we also own.)

-nifty shelf on the PSU shroud to mount two 2.5" drives.

-comes with two exhaust fans that help to keep my CPU idle at 25C. (I have two Noctua intake fans, but they are currently unplugged)

-drive bay in the back under the PSU shroud holds two additional 3.5" drives, or four 2.5" drives with cheap adapters (That's how I have both cases I own configured) and vents directly above to let hot air escape. This is useful for me because I have six 2.5" drives and zero 3.5". 

-steel construction. It doesn't wobble. 

By no means is this a comparison to the Phanteks case. It very well might share many of these features that I found particularly appealing.

post-122698-0-77337700-1448682575_thumb.

Also, it wasn't expensive and it looks killer. 

UPDATE! Turns out I was mistaken and was looking at a different Phanteks case (derp) and they are actually the same price. Please tell me the pros and cons of each in comparison to one another!

Cheers

well..the S340 can only take a radiator at the front, the pro M can take both at the top or at the front. This case is more geared for watercooling and expansion.

The S340 air intake at the front is also very restrictive (only a small cutout at the bottom...very restrictive the thermals are better in the Pro M according to every reviews i've seen) where as it's a lot more open on the Pro M with a very nice quality mesh filter.

Also the Pro M has a 5.25″ optical bay which can be useful to mount a blue ray reader/burner for media or an Nzxt Hue for lighting the case for example...it's also removable so it's only a plus there...

s340 has a terrible PSU dust filter where as the Pro M one is actually very good.

downside is the pro M only include the 140mm rear fan for exhaust so i would highly suggest you order at least one extra 140mm fan for intake. (s340 include 2 fans i think)

The build quality for the pro M seem a little better from the reviews i've seen...most report the side panels has being a bit flimsy though... but it shows IMHO this case looks a lot better and more professional the 340 is clean but it's very much a square box with no personality (subjective, my own opinion) the front panel of the pro M looks a lot better it's plastic but with kind of a brushed aluminum look and feel to it which look really good IMHO... now you will have to do some work and look at some reviews and figure out which one you like best! ;)

Good luck!

Fair video review for you to start your research:

And this one is more about the glamorous shots and how a full system with proper lighting will look inside this enclosure:

(worth watching in fullHD as it looks amazing)

EDIT: look for example in this hardware canucks video ^^ @ 4:15 the removable bracket for top radiator this is purely brilliant and this is little details like that that make this case a much better option than the S340 IMHO.

The pro M definitely feel more complete and has more style. (again, subjective, you might disagree)

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

well..the S340 can only take a radiator at the front, the pro M can take both at the top or at the front. This case is more geared for watercooling and expansion.The S340 air intake at the front is also very restrictive where as it's a lot more open on the Pro M with a very nice quality mesh filter.Also the Pro M has a 5.25″ optical bay which can be useful to mount a blue ray reader/burner for media or an Nzxt Hue for lighting the case for example...it's also removable so it's only a plus there...s340 has a terrible PSU dust filter where as the Pro M one is actually very good.downside is the pro M only include the 140mm rear fan for exhaust so i would highly suggest you order at least one extra 140mm fan for intake. (s340 include 2 fans i think)The build quality for the pro M seem a little better from the reviews i've seen...most report the side panels has being a bit flimsy though... but it shows IMHO this case looks a lot better and more professional the 340 is clean but it's very much a square box with no personality (subjective, my own opinion) the front panel of the pro M looks a lot better it's plastic but with kind of a brushed aluminum look and feel to it which look really good IMHO... now you will have to do some work and look at some reviews and figure out which one you like best! ;)Good luck!Fair video review for you to start your research:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mSFcGZV6aEAnd this one is more about the glamorous shots and how a full system with proper lighting will look inside this enclosure:(worth watching in fullHD as it looks amazing) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS8qUvhetV4EDIT: look for example in this hardware canucks video ^^ @ 4:15 the removable bracket for top radiator this is purely brilliant and this is little details like that that make this case a much better option than the S340 IMHO.The pro M definitely feel more complete and has more style. (again, subjective, you might disagree)

Thanks mate, you've really helped me out! Will finally have enough for my PC build early next year, hopefully before there are too many Fallout 4 spoilers :)

Thanks mate, you've really helped me out! Will finally have enough for my PC build early next year, hopefully before there are too many Fallout 4 spoilers :)

both cases are pretty good if you ask me, but the enthoo pro M has better ventilation (fact), has more support for watercooling in the future or just expansion in general and looks better IMHO...only downside to it is one less fan included.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i don't know, but this one is much MUCH better and it also look much better:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-case-phes515pbk

Agree. That case, the define s and the arc midi are all of better build quality and functionality than the s340 for the same price. The only advantage the s340 has is wider color selection.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit