Can't jumpstart PSU

Mooru

Hey everyone,

I have a Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 750 Watt PSU. When I watercooled my system I tried to jumpstart my psu by shorting the green and a black wire. It didn't work. So I assumed I was being an idiot and was doing it totally wrong and bought this:

http://www.xs-pc.com/accessories/atx-psu-bridge-tool-24-pin

It's still not working. The only thing attatched to my PSU were a D5 pump and 4 fans. I have no idea why it doesn't want to jumpstart. I've been using that PSU for a year now without any issues. 

Anyone knows what's causing the problem?

Check all connections leading to the socket. Change socket. Try another power supply.

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14

Some PSUs can't be jump started like that. Some manufactures build in a safety feature that prevents jumpstarts.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Check all connections leading to the socket. Change socket. Try another power supply.

Connections are ok, socket is ok too and unfortunately I don't have another PSU.

Some PSUs can't be jump started like that. Some manufactures build in a safety feature that prevents jumpstarts.

Ok that's fair enough. It is annoying because it made filling my loop a lot riskier in case of leaks.

have you any other power drawing components connected? (e.g. hdds, fans ,etc.)

I had a D5 pump and 4 fans attached. My first guess was that I didn't succeed the minimum power draw. But a D5 pump and 4 fans at 12V should be enough for atleast 20-30 watts I thought.

Did you flip the switch?

| i7 4790k | H100i | 16GB (8x2) Corsair Vengence | EVGA GTX 780 SC | ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Samsung 840 120GB | WD 2TB Green x2 | Rosewill Hive 750W | 

do you have any other 12v power adapter or an old psu?

I am actually currently drawing a small PCB for an adjustable power supply because I don't have one. 

And unfortunately no old PSU's available.

I am sending a mail to Be Quiet!'s customer service. Very curious to their reply.

I am actually currently drawing a small PCB for an adjustable power supply because I don't have one. 

And unfortunately no old PSU's available.

I am sending a mail to Be Quiet!'s customer service. Very curious to their reply.

well many power adapters for external hdds and also for some monitors are 12V ...

I can tell you what Be Quiet!'s answer will be ...  something like 'We don't support use of our PSUs outside it's intended purpose in a computer case'

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I can tell you what Be Quiet!'s answer will be ...  something like 'We don't support use of our PSUs outside it's intended purpose in a computer case'

That's fair enough I suppose. I just want to know if it's a built in safety or a malfunction. I like to know how things work or why they don't :)

That's fair enough I suppose. I just want to know if it's a built in safety or a malfunction. I like to know how things work or why they don't :)

Borrow the battery out of a car  ;)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Borrow the battery out of a car  ;)

That is simple xD

(sarcasm off)

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link