Help saving files to HDD/SSD

jewishdolphins

Just got a 240 gig SSD. I put my operating system on it (windows 10). Runs fantastic. 1 problem. I still have my old OS on my old HDD and I want to delete it off of my HDD and use my new SSD with the OS as my admin and just keep my old HDD as extra storage. 

I don't know how to get rid of the OS from my HDD and I also can't place files into my HDD from my new SSD+windows10. It usually gives me some kind of error stuff saying that I need permission from admin and stuff but I tried everything. 

Again, just want SSD with my OS on it, along with my 1 TB HDD as extra storage.

Can you format it? Or do you have important data on it?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Can you format it? Or do you have important data on it?

Don't have important data on it. The only thing that's important to me is the OS. However, I already tried disconnecting my HDD and seeing if my SSD runs the OS without it and it does. Literally all I have on the HDD is a few video games i could easily redownload. I was thinking of wiping it, but I just don't know if that would solve the problem or not. It seems more like a sharing issue or something. 

Don't have important data on it. The only thing that's important to me is the OS. However, I already tried disconnecting my HDD and seeing if my SSD runs the OS without it and it does. Literally all I have on the HDD is a few video games i could easily redownload. I was thinking of wiping it, but I just don't know if that would solve the problem or not. It seems more like a sharing issue or something. 

Have you set the permissions? 

Right click

Properties

Security

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

Have you set the permissions? 

Right click

Properties

Security

Nope. Please explain in the BEST detail ever. I'm getting off literally right now since it's 5:25 am here and i didnt sleep all night trying to do other crap with this ssd. If you could please explain, i will read your post whenever i wake up and ill greatly appreciate it!

https://www.uwec.edu/help/drives/permissions.htm

This should explain everything.

First off, if you don't have anything important on the old HDD, go to the Disk management and remove all partitions on it and re-format it. You can re-format in File Explorer too but not remove partitions. It's important to remove the MBR partition from the old HDD.

I'll try to put it in layman's terms so you'll have that much less trouble getting your head around the problem. 

The operating system (your old windows) sets permission levels to all files that are created in that OS. Stuff like who can access the files and can they only read or also modify the files. Only a very basic level is applied by default in Windows. In a way, you need to be a human and have access to the computer physically to be able to do anything. It's not really secure but the aim is to weed out malicious programs and off-site hackers. When you're using the same operating system as what set the permissions, it won't even ask you. You can just see and touch everything.

But your new windows didn't set those permission levels. It recognizes that there are permissions set and respects them. So it asks you to confirm that "you're a human". Since that's the extent of the permission level, no need for passwords or such. But it's still annoying to have to click the button every single time. But there are ways to get around that issue. You can re-apply the permissions to every file using your current operating system. That way it'll never ask you for admin access but your old OS would. You should really just delete the old OS.

Just to mention a few options, you can also use an operating system that simply doesn't respect the permission attributes of Windows. Most Linuxes don't. Also you can use some softwares to remove the permissions altogether in bulk. That's an ill-advised method. It removes what little security the the permissions provide.

So the way I'd tackle the problem is navigate to the root of the disc in question, move all the folders you want access to into one folder or repeat the process for each separately, right-click the folder, properties, security tab, focus 'Users', click 'Edit', tick 'Full control', Apply, Exit. I'm sorry but I can't mess with my test bench right now so I'm not 100% sure if this works. Also, can't confirm but if I recall correctly, you can't do this to all folders like the root of 'Windows'

At some point you should remove the obsolete MBR partition from your HDD. MBR is the very beginning of the HDD where the list of all bootable OSs is located and now that you have two of them and they're mismatching, you should really do this before it causes trouble.

First off, if you don't have anything important on the old HDD, go to the Disk management and remove all partitions on it and re-format it. You can re-format in File Explorer too but not remove partitions. It's important to remove the MBR partition from the old HDD.

I'll try to put it in layman's terms so you'll have that much less trouble getting your head around the problem. 

The operating system (your old windows) sets permission levels to all files that are created in that OS. Stuff like who can access the files and can they only read or also modify the files. Only a very basic level is applied by default in Windows. In a way, you need to be a human and have access to the computer physically to be able to do anything. It's not really secure but the aim is to weed out malicious programs and off-site hackers. When you're using the same operating system as what set the permissions, it won't even ask you. You can just see and touch everything.

But your new windows didn't set those permission levels. It recognizes that there are permissions set and respects them. So it asks you to confirm that "you're a human". Since that's the extent of the permission level, no need for passwords or such. But it's still annoying to have to click the button every single time. But there are ways to get around that issue. You can re-apply the permissions to every file using your current operating system. That way it'll never ask you for admin access but your old OS would. You should really just delete the old OS.

Just to mention a few options, you can also use an operating system that simply doesn't respect the permission attributes of Windows. Most Linuxes don't. Also you can use some softwares to remove the permissions altogether in bulk. That's an ill-advised method. It removes what little security the the permissions provide.

So the way I'd tackle the problem is navigate to the root of the disc in question, move all the folders you want access to into one folder or repeat the process for each separately, right-click the folder, properties, security tab, focus 'Users', click 'Edit', tick 'Full control', Apply, Exit. I'm sorry but I can't mess with my test bench right now so I'm not 100% sure if this works. Also, can't confirm but if I recall correctly, you can't do this to all folders like the root of 'Windows'

At some point you should remove the obsolete MBR partition from your HDD. MBR is the very beginning of the HDD where the list of all bootable OSs is located and now that you have two of them and they're mismatching, you should really do this before it causes trouble.

Wouldn't it just be easier to completely wipe my hard drive and start off fresh? It seems like the easiest way to be honest. Then I won't have to worry about my current platform to ask me for admin access in order to get into my hard drive.

Wouldn't it just be easier to completely wipe my hard drive and start off fresh? It seems like the easiest way to be honest. Then I won't have to worry about my current platform to ask me for admin access in order to get into my hard drive.

Yup. Definitely. If you format the HDD entirely, you don't have to deal with this issue.