Best Coolant For Custom Loop??

cpuxtech

I'm in the Distilled water camp, if you want colour in the loop do it through tubing and lighting. Corrosion and Algae/Bacteria isn't an issue if you plan the loop right (no Aluminium or EK Nickel) and take necessary precautions (Kill-Coil, Biocide or even UV lights).

Plus, its cheap. Cost per Volume ratio beats any Coolant.

Coolermaster HAF-X, i5-3570k@4.3Ghz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7870@1150Mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB 1600Mhz, Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit

Using EK Clear Coolant(with EK nickel block for me 680) myself and after 6 month its still clear. No tubing has clouded yet, but I think its time for a maintenance nontheless :D

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

• 1 year later...

Iv not bought any dye or tube yet, still researching and reading forums, I want to go acrylic and a UV dye , like green, but want to know if it will stain acrylic ( red will probably because the dye is very powerful stainer. )

even though I have no experience what so ever with any custom loop ( its my first to come soon )

But I am a painter by trade and now work with mixing paint formulas , and one thing i can say with absolute certainty is there is absolutely no way in hell a dye will ever cause gunk build up ,its laughable , the amount of powder to make an extremely strong 10 ltr mix , would be so infinitesimally small to the eye it would be totally undetectable even with a magnifying glass if it were concentrated in one spot only. impossible !! implausible and busted !this is a fact

Also a fact from my reading of forums and user feed back and technical data from tube manufacturers, it is the very nature of the tube itself that makes it what it is. it is flexible !, this is because it has a plasticiser  in it and it is a known fact it leaches , I dont even need to see the evidence myself , logic alone tells me this is , as NRG states Plasiciser leaching by the share volume you talk about, it can only ever be platiciser and or oxidization from other metals in your loop, then stained by the dye !

Id probably not bothered to write ,but not only are you uneducated in your response BCMods , but you are abusive and out of line in, you have been warned for your abuse ,you say, but you just did it again , except in a phuken sidways indirect sort of way , you still called NRG a moron 

@ cpuxtech ,yes I can understand why you would think you can see dye weaving its evil magic when you see a single drop staining like crazy , this stuff is so damn potent, but it does not start from any sort of volume , large enough to do any cloging.

Now the Mayhems Pastel on the other hand, you would expect to do some major clogging, as it is so totally saturated with nano particles,and settles very quickly , but from what I read it seems thats as soon as your system is fired up they move again, and are also no problem.

The Mayhems forum on Overclockers.net is awesome , Id trust Mayhems over anything on the planet, purely just because the technical support is so awesome , Michaels time and effort to answer the communities questions in an unbiased open transparent factual way, is the best iv ever seen ,he is passionate about making the best product that can be made and doing it with all of us.

And on top of that , from what i read it is actually the best too , why would you use anything else, im sure as hell going to.

Ps . any feed back on Acrylic tubing and its staining or not aspect would be great , im probably going for the EK Supremacy CSQ clear CPU block too, or the full copper if staining is going to be too much of an issue, I know, pros n cons,I just love the clear liquid look and UV and worth the staining to me if its not too bad, yellow ? green not too bad stainer, and UV blue virtually none

Here is a link to an interesting post ,very badly Plasticized tube and crusty build up on tube but not block

http://www.overclock.net/t/1286896/mayhems-users-club/3640

Distilled and a biocide is superior all round,you do not need an anti-corro although it doesn't hurt to use one.

As for the clouded tube..BC is not the first to complain about reaction with Mayhems.

However...all the clear tube out right now is junk,why do you think I went to great trouble to get acrylic tubing as the standard..

To the guy above me..you are very wrong,add copper sulphate biocide to a glycol premix and watch the dye clump and clog,its been proven,I even have the pics showing it in action. Please strive to be correct and not sound like so much of an ass?

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

First of all I am a rookie and appreciate any feedback, But your reply seems only to back up every thing I said, its the clear flexi tubing and the mix of other elements together and not the dye alone that cause clogging, it doesn't seem logical that an extremely small amount of matter (dye powder ) can cause a much larger buildup of gunk, it must be platicizer ? and other things ?

I still havnt decided on my coolant ,I don't no what is best yet, I was thinking just distilled water , bioside and I do like blood red ,but will stain too much, also like Green/yellow or clear blue, I like the UV effect, not sure if its worth extra maintenance 

Distilled and a biocide is superior all round,you do not need an anti-corro although it doesn't hurt to use one.

As for the clouded tube..BC is not the first to complain about reaction with Mayhems.

However...all the clear tube out right now is junk,why do you think I went to great trouble to get acrylic tubing as the standard..

To the guy above me..you are very wrong,add copper sulphate biocide to a glycol premix and watch the dye clump and clog,its been proven,I even have the pics showing it in action. Please strive to be correct and not sound like so much of an ass?

So I dont make an " ass "of a choice then B negative, what would you suggest for my Acrylic tube loop, to minimalize any staining and gunk build up, given I want UV effect if possible and a green colour or maybe clear blue ?

Im guessing starting with distilled water and bioside and what dye ?

Im asking because I respect your opinion, but now a little confused, as I thought from all the feed back and forums that Mayhems is best, but I have just been reading , Overclockers.net : Acrylic pipe bending 101 page 15,and you say in reference to the dudes chocolate coloured coolant :   " No,thats what happens when you use Mayhems. full stop. "  what does this mean, that mayhems is just trash and stay away ?

Mayhems products require certain measures be taken,heavy duty acid washes of rads etc. None of these things are good for your equipment.

You will see many examples of fluid going bad online but Mick still maintains they have had no problems,this I find hard to ignore.....

I'm a firm believer of just water and a biocide,best performance and least maintainence.

Also,after seeing TTL's black coolant also turn brown and the attitude of Mick when confronted about it means I cannot recommend those products in good concience.

as for the dye breakdown,the test i saw was done in a glass,not in loop,so plasticizer wasnt a contributing factor. You are correct about plasticizer being the main cause of problems,traditional tube is just garbage. To say dye in itself isnt a problem if incorrectly used is incorrect.

I currently have the base white pastel as it comes from Ice Dragon in a loop for the last 2 months...so if that's the look you want then that's all I can recommend

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Mayhems products require certain measures be taken,heavy duty acid washes of rads etc. None of these things are good for your equipment.

You will see many examples of fluid going bad online but Mick still maintains they have had no problems,this I find hard to ignore.....

I'm a firm believer of just water and a biocide,best performance and least maintainence.

Also,after seeing TTL's black coolant also turn brown and the attitude of Mick when confronted about it means I cannot recommend those products in good concience.

as for the dye breakdown,the test i saw was done in a glass,not in loop,so plasticizer wasnt a contributing factor. You are correct about plasticizer being the main cause of problems,traditional tube is just garbage. To say dye in itself isnt a problem if incorrectly used is incorrect.

I currently have the base white pastel as it comes from Ice Dragon in a loop for the last 2 months...so if that's the look you want then that's all I can recommend

Ok thanks for the feed back , bit of a buma to hear that you have no confidence in Mayhems, I dont know any of the other brands, Iv just herd a lot of preference to mayhems.

This makes the decision harder then, the problem is I do really like the UV look ,or at least a pastel green or red or something.

I guess its at my own risk then and I just may have a clean up job of CPU block and tubes, hopefully not my glass res too 

My XSPC RX 360 Rad arrived today, looks great on outside, but inside,looks half silver half copper, and very minor looking surface corrosion ,not at all bad, but looks like minor oxidization ,maybe from water residue from factory pressure testing ?

unless i'm being paranoid, but its definitely not a fresh copper look 

No rad ever has the fresh copper look on the inside,if its XSPC then the rad will be clean inside,no doubts there.

Pretty much most of the professional PC builders I've ever heard talk about coolant have been singing praises for Mayhems. So I can only assume it's the shit. Personally, I think they have some of the best colors too.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

No rad ever has the fresh copper look on the inside,if its XSPC then the rad will be clean inside,no doubts there.

Cool, good to hear thanks B

Pretty much most of the professional PC builders I've ever heard talk about coolant have been singing praises for Mayhems. So I can only assume it's given to them for free Personally, I think they have some of the best colors too.

FTFY