290 to 390 worth it?

Knaj

Not really. You won't get much for the 290 and you'll spend more getting... marginal performance increases in most games. The only difference is the frame buffer and the circuitry efficiency. Not worth it at all imo. You'd be better off putting the effort and money towards another 290.

Double the VRAM, higher clock speed. That's all you'd get. Not worth it.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I had a Vaporx 290 and have a Nitro 390 OC now. The 390 uses 30w less at the same clock speed as the 290 and runs almost 10c cooler, but other than that they're very close in performance. Some odd things like the 290 does a better job with Hairworks but the 390 gets 10fps more in Witcher 3. 290 gets a few more fps in Fallout 4 for some reason.

I wouldn't, not unless you plan on crossfire, with was a pain and I gave it up. Let the wife have my 290.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Title says all.

I'm happy with my current GPU, but with insane deals on the R9 390, would it be really worth my money to buy one and sell my old GPU?

If you're lucky, the best price you can find a 390 at is $250. And depending on which 290 you have, the best you'll get is $200. Even when the 290 is at stock speeds which suck quite frankly, no 390 is 25% faster than the 290 out of the box. The 290 should be able to easily clock at the same speeds as the 390 and there is no noticable performance difference then.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

That's a little gain for a lot of money.  Not something I'd do.

Sit on that money, add more as you can, and look for a major upgrade some time next year.

Would wait at least two generations to get something new, the delta is marginal, IMHO not worth it