Could I do this with my HDD instead of buying another OS?

Stevenw43210

Hello, so I have am building a new PC, and currently am upgrading from an 2 year old Dell PC, and I am going to reuse the Hard Drive in it, and I know that the OS wont work because it's formatted for the old PC , but could I put the old HDD in and then put in the Dell OS reinstallation disc and will that work? Or will I just have to wipe the drive and get a new OS?

I don't see why not

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I don't think so. the os that came with it was most likely OEM. it is tied to yout motherboard. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

I guess I try it, and if it works, it works, but if it doesn't I'll just buy a new copy of windows 8

i am aware of a dell vista pro disc that was being passed around in the day, that when clean installing didnt require a licence key to be typed in, and worked with any hardware. soooo, it may work, it may not. 

I guess I try it, and if it works, it works, but if it doesn't I'll just buy a new copy of windows 8

hmm, it is your call, but windows 8 is not as good as win7

Another question, since it already has windows 7 on it, I could just get the Win8 upgrade version instead of the full version right? Or would it not work since it's a dell OEM version of Win7 on it?

You can't upgrade with OEM versions.  Also if you plan to play video games, I think 8 still has problems with some, but not sure because I went back to 7 after 8 was giving me compatibility issues.