Monitor choices - Gaming

Kisen

Hi there!

For quite a while, I have been thinking of purchasing a new monitor and move away from my old Asus TN 60Hz 21'5 inch. The problem is that I cannot decide between getting a 144Hz G-Sync monitor or an IPS Ultra-wide monitor.

To me it seems that I have to choose between performance versus picture quality for my new monitor. Originally, I wanted to keep my budget at around €400 which was enough to get me the BenQ XL2430T 144Hz monitor (without G-Sync of course).

After lots of reading, however, I'm worried about image quality being an issue and was told that I would be better off getting an Ultra-wide monitor due to 144FPS being unreachable in a lot of modern games.

My specs are as follows:

Core i5 3750k @ 2.4Ghz

Corsair 8GB DDR3 RAM

Geforce 970GTX 4GB (or 3.5GB)

Samsung SSD 840

I play a lot of different types of games spanning across many genres which also includes competitive games such as CS:GO and RPGs such as The Witcher 3.

The idea of super smooth gameplay really drew me in the idea of using a 144Hz monitor (and later on G-Sync even if it comes with a bit of a premium). However, I also play on the consoles which cannot take advantage of these features and image quality would be more of a priority there.

I raised my budget to around €600 as it seems that I would rather purchase a quality monitor which does not needto be top of the line.

My 2 current choices are as follows:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/benq-xl2420g-24-1920x1080-tn-g-sync-144hz-1ms-gaming-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-112-bq.html (144Hz G-Sync)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-34um67-34-2560x1080-ips-freesync-gaming-super-wide-widescreen-led-monitor-black-mo-127-lg.html (Ultra-wide IPS)

Both of these add up to around €600 but I cannot decide as I do not know which one would benefit me the most.

With the Benq I get:

-144Hz

-G-Sync

-Blur removal

With the LG I get:

-21:9 gaming

-IPS

Thanks!