4 Sticks of DDR4 not posting 2 sticks do post [CODE 55] Gigabyte

First build - RAM issues 

-----------------------------

Hi I have recently built my new computer, Bought 4 sticks of 4GB DDR4 to fill up my 4 slots, I found it was not booting up properly, so I used 2 sticks (8GB total) instead in slots 1 and 2, this allowed it to boot. 

I tested all my sticks of RAM in slot 1 to see if it would boot with a single stick of 4GB and all of them allowed the system to boot. I then tried them in each of the other RAM slots on the board and all slots with 1 sticks of 4GB allowed the system to boot.(Slot 1,2,3,4 all booted with 1 stick in)

So what I have found out is, my motherboards RAM slots all work, All my RAM sticks work.

I have tried to increased the stock voltage on the DRAM in the bios from 1.200v to 1.525v and this still did not allow me to boot it.

I Also tried loosening my CPU cooler mounts (Corsair H55 120mm) as some people said if they were screwed in too tight it might have damage something in the motherboard. (I did not screw it in too tight to begin with but loosened it anyways).

SPECS

CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K

RAM- HyperXFury DDR4 4 X 4GB (16GB) (2666 MHz)

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3

------------------------------------

Other specs on request

-----------------------------------

I have found a lot of people online have been struggling with this but have not found any real solution, Hoping you guys might know a thing or two as this is my first proper go at this :) 

Thank you in advance 

Will

It's possible you need to install then one by one and let it cycle a couple of times. Like back in the day :D

So just install 1 stick, boot, turn off and install another one.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

It's possible you need to install then one by one and let it cycle a couple of times. Like back in the day :D

So just install 1 stick, boot, turn off and install another one.

I just attempted this and it did not work, it just kept getting to 55 and restarting, It then came up with CPU instillation error so I am currently back on to two sticks. Tried 1 then 2 then 3 then 4 but did not work. :/

• 1 month later...

Any luck since your post? I have the identical board and ram as you with the identical issue. I have a feeling this is a chipset or bios issue. Im currently on F4 bios version. I already tried what you did to no avail. I tried other ram sets and anything that involved using 3 or 4 ram modules created error 55. I sent a ticket to gigabyte, hopefully they have a fix as i dont know if an rma replacement will solve the issue.

The 6700K only natively supports up to 2133MHz frequency.   

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Now that doesn't necessarily mean it won't run a faster RAM, but there are certainly no guarantees that it will either.  Everyone seems to be able to run 2400 fine, but there seems to be more uncertainty above that.

The 6700K only natively supports up to 2133MHz frequency.   

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

Now that doesn't necessarily mean it won't run a faster RAM, but there are certainly no guarantees that it will either.  Everyone seems to be able to run 2400 fine, but there seems to be more uncertainty above that.

I am actually using a 6600K but I think you are still right. However, I am using this ram as 2 of 4 slots and it works perfectly fine running at 2666mhz, until adding a 3rd or 4th stick. I even observed this issue with another set of kingston ram that was rated at 2133mhz, however it was two kits of two and not one kit of four like in this scenario.

I tried underclocking my ram in the BIOS, but I can only change the timings, not the multiplier. Running it without the XMP profile still runs at 2666mhz, so that doesn't help either.

I wanted to add that because I tried all 4 ram sticks individually (which worked) as well as trying a ram stick in all 4 modules on my motherboard (also worked), it leads me to believe it is a software issue in my motherboard, such as a bios issue or intel chipset issue that either manufacturer needs to fix. Because my skylake cpu is running 2 of the 4 sticks of ram at 2666mhz, I believe that it should be able to handle 3 or 4 of the ram sticks in total. If this is a bios or chipset flaw, an RMA will not fix the issue. I am tempted to just return the ram and go with a 2x8gb option that is 2133mhz to play it safe, but this doesn't resolve the issue, only circumvents it. What annoys me is that the set of 4 sticks of RAM I have is on the list of compatible ram on gigabytes website for this particular motherboard, so it SHOULD work. If anyone has any additional ideas, please feel free to suggest them.