unable to perform a clean install of windows

neocronix2

I cannot do a clean install of windows 10 on an Acer aspire E1 laptop. I've had quite some problems with this laptop so i decided to buy a new hard drive, because i tought the old one was malfunctioning and install windows 10 on it. When i try to install windows 10 from a usb-stick it starts installing  until the point where you see a list of 5 tasks (copying windows files,..., installing updates and completing installation).

At that last step (completing installation) it gives an error: "The boot configuration of this system cannot be updated. The installation cannot proceed" and there it stops...

Someone at microsoft told me to do a Bios update, but i only have an .exe-file to update the bios and there isn't an os installed on the laptop so i cant update the bios.

Does anyone know how top update the bios without an os with a .exe-file or how to fix this problem?

I cannot do a clean install of windows 10 on an Acer aspire E1 laptop. I've had quite some problems with this laptop so i decided to buy a new hard drive, because i tought the old one was malfunctioning and install windows 10 on it. When i try to install windows 10 from a usb-stick it starts installing  until the point where you see a list of 5 tasks (copying windows files,..., installing updates and completing installation).

At that last step (completing installation) it gives an error: "The boot configuration of this system cannot be updated. The installation cannot proceed" and there it stops...

Someone at microsoft told me to do a Bios update, but i only have an .exe-file to update the bios and there isn't an os installed on the laptop so i cant update the bios.

Does anyone know how top update the bios without an os with a .exe-file or how to fix this problem?

You should be able to update the bios within the bios.

Now I've never owned a laptop so I have no idea if laptops have that feature, but I don't see why not.

It's not a race to the bottom.

You should be able to update the bios within the bios.

Now I've never owned a laptop so I have no idea if laptops have that feature, but I don't see why not.

that is what i'm trying to do, but i couldnt find the correct bios for my exact model so i contacted acer and the provided me with an .exe-file to update the bios and every page i found about updating the bios via usb mentioned a flashtool and a BIOS-file and i only have one .exe-file. Im kind of confused, i dont know if i only need that file to update the bios.

that is what i'm trying to do, but i couldnt find the correct bios for my exact model so i contacted acer and the provided me with an .exe-file to update the bios and every page i found about updating the bios via usb mentioned a flashtool and a BIOS-file and i only have one .exe-file. Im kind of confused, i dont know if i only need that file to update the bios.

Ask Acer for the actual bios file.

If that's not possible then see if you can download the bios using the tool they gave you on a different computer. It may give you an option to download the bios only so you can update in your own time (I know Asus does)

However first see if the bios has a tool to update the bios. Within Asus bios' it's called EZflash I believe. It's built in and normally in it's own little section.

Ask Acer for the actual bios file.

If that's not possible then see if you can download the bios using the tool they gave you on a different computer. It may give you an option to download the bios only so you can update in your own time (I know Asus does)

However first see if the bios has a tool to update the bios. Within Asus bios' it's called EZflash I believe. It's built in and normally in it's own little section.

I have looked trough the bios and i havent found any options to update the bios. I finally found the correct download page for this laptop model and they only provide an .exe-file to perform the bios update. i've started it but it detects that this pc isnt the correct model so it gives the error: "Not allow to flash secure BIOS on this platform."...

The bios looks rather small tough i can barely see any of my hardware and have zero posibilities to change hardware settings. Also no sign of an advenced bios or anything. the bios is called InsydeH20 Setup Utility.

I have looked trough the bios and i havent found any options to update the bios. I finally found the correct download page for this laptop model and they only provide an .exe-file to perform the bios update. i've started it but it detects that this pc isnt the correct model so it gives the error: "Not allow to flash secure BIOS on this platform."...

Could be a locked bios. Are you able to get a linux ".exe-file" instead, or do they only provide Windows versions?

Could be a locked bios. Are you able to get a linux ".exe-file" instead, or do they only provide Windows versions?

No only for windows  :(  im almost finished creating a live usb with ubuntu on it just to see if it can boot into ubuntu.

No only for windows  :(  im almost finished creating a live usb with ubuntu on it just to see if it can boot into ubuntu.

Get your hands on a windows disk and install Windows xp - 7 . Install the bios and then format again.

sorry there's no easier work around but it seems as if Acer really don't want their customers flashing their bios.

Get your hands on a windows disk and install Windows xp - 7 . Install the bios and then format again.

sorry there's no easier work around but it seems as if Acer really don't want their customers flashing their bios.

It seems so... and i have some dvd's with OS'es on them but this laptop doesnt have a dvdreader so i can only do it via usb and i dont have any windows iso's right now.

I just booted from the ubuntu usb and it seems just fine...