Downscaling from 768p to 720p

Hi all,

Just got (hopefully) a quick question.

I plan on recording some footage (using OBS) for YouTube (games and shizzle). The predicament I have is that I'm running at 1360 x 768, (the manufacturers website says the native resolution is 1366 x 768, but windows detects it at 1360 x 768, I'll play about to see if there is a noticeable difference).

My question is, (providing there is no noticeable difference in quality) out of 1360 x 768 or 1366 x 768, which would the easiest be to downtscale to 720p (1280 x 720, pretty confident you assumed that already though) at either 25 or 30fps (ideally 30 if my system can handle it, it can play at 60fps stable, but I haven't done a whole lot of testing to see the impact of recording).

What software would you suggest to downscale it? Would downscaling it result in weird artefacts, and if so, would it be better to accept some clipping (or 2-3px black bars) to maintain decent aspect ratio?

Hopefully I'm making myself clear. I would rather do the downscaling on my side where I have full control rather than letting YouTube run rampant.

Thanks,

MJBYTTV

P.S. Come April 2016 I will be upgrading my computer and monitor so this won't be an issue.

In whatever editing software you use, just output the video at 720p - or you could even upscale it to 1080p if you want it to look nicer on youtube

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Welcome to the Forum.

Just downscale it afterwards instead of downscaling it while creating the content? That should make it easier to record higher quality/FPS in realtime.

Sig under construction.

1360x768 is much closer to 16:9 than 1366x768 is. However, if you can get the content at 1360x765 then downscale it, it's as accurate as you can get at your monitor's resolution

Interesting, thanks, I'll bare that in mind and have a looksie in a bit.

Welcome to the Forum.

Just downscale it afterwards instead of downscaling it while creating the content? That should make it easier to record higher quality/FPS in realtime.

I'm recording at 1360 (or 1366, yet tbd) by 768. Downscaling will come post-recording.

Also, regarding downscaling methods, which generally provides better results? Bilinear, Bicubic, etc.

Thanks,

MJBYTTV

Interesting, thanks, I'll bare that in mind and have a looksie in a bit.

I'm recording at 1360 (or 1366, yet tbd) by 768. Downscaling will come post-recording.

Also, regarding downscaling methods, which generally provides better results? Bilinear, Bicubic, etc.

Thanks,

MJBYTTV

I personally do bicubic for image downscaling, and that typically works out well. Either way, the video will look wonky, especially with solid colors in a large array.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.