Is there a way to troubleshoot CPU, GPU for performance?

lCornholio

Hi! So I did a 3D Mark Firestrike test with my new computer and the results are very low in comparison to other with the same GPU and CPU, and relatively the same clock speeds. I get a score of 14500 on the Firestrike test.
My computer is working and I can play games no problem but is there a way to see why my performance is so much lower than other people with the major components?

Here's my specs.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4770k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N-Gaming 5
RAM: Corsair Vengence 4GB 2133Mhz CL9
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 295x2 2x4GB
Case: Fractal Design Core 500
Storage: Samsung SSD Evo 250GB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Green 1TB
PSU: Corsair CS 850w
Display: BenQ 22" 1080p 60hz
Cooling: Corsair H80i GT
Keyboard: Func KB-460 MX Red
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma
Sound: HyperX Cloud

Run stress tests and make sure that no components are throttling or anything. I recommend something from MSI Kombustor for your 295x2 and a trial of AIDA64 Extreme for your CPU.

Sig under construction.

It might have to do with having less RAM than your GPU.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Yeah you'll be wanting to get another 4GB.

FX-6300 cooled by Nepton 240M | EVGA GTX 970 SuperClocked | 8GB G.Skill ValueRAM | Cooler Master 690 III | Sharkoon WMP 500 Bronze

Power supplies:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/406160-psu-ranking-and-tiers/ My F@h stats: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userpage&username=zyntaxable Intel vs. FX for gaming: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/401217-more-updated-fx-vs-intel-for-gaming/

It might have to do with having less RAM than your GPU.

Hadn't noticed that.

Yeah you'll be wanting to get another 4GB.

Totally agree. At least another 4GB.

Sig under construction.

So even tho my games runs without any problems with 4GB, 4GB RAM can actually decrease overall performance?

FYI, the reason I have 4GB is because I bought a used CPU, and it seems to be an issue with it and the computer wont post with 2 sticks of RAM. I had the motherboard returned and bought a new one from a different manufacturer but the problem remains and that's how I came to the conclusion it has to be the CPU, I tested the RAM and they both work as well.

I have a very compact build, mITX with huge GPU and the 4770k is actually currently overclocked to 4.6Ghz at 1.28v. The GPU can sometimes reach 75c which will activate the throttle, but this doesn't happen with the 3D Mark test so I can't see that is the problem...

Another question... Should I run both stress tests at the same time? And by the way, Aida64 does also have a GPU stress test built in, will that one work as well?

So even tho my games runs without any problems with 4GB, 4GB RAM can actually decrease overall performance?

FYI, the reason I have 4GB is because I bought a used CPU, and it seems to be an issue with it and the computer wont post with 2 sticks of RAM. I had the motherboard returned and bought a new one from a different manufacturer but the problem remains and that's how I came to the conclusion it has to be the CPU, I tested the RAM and they both work as well.

I have a very compact build, mITX with huge GPU and the 4770k is actually currently overclocked to 4.6Ghz at 1.28v. The GPU can sometimes reach 75c which will activate the throttle, but this doesn't happen with the 3D Mark test so I can't see that is the problem...

Damn that sucks because you cant take advantage of dual channel....

Damn that sucks because you cant take advantage of dual channel....

Yea I know, tho Dual Channel doesn't give that much of a performance boost tho, but still kinda sucks.

I'll have to just keep to a higher clock on the one stick.