Overclocking a Non K series Skylake [Possible?]

I've just read the article that intel lets you overclock the Non K series skylake processors (just like the old days, of course you cant overclock it much) so id like to know what are the things i need to consider specially my last overclock was with E5400.. and also the B150 boards also features overclock settings. any thoughts?

Intel Core i5 - 6400 <> Msi B150A Gaming Pro <> Msi Gtx 970 Gaming <> G.Skill Ripjaw 4 16Gb DDR4 2400mhz

<> Corsair CX500M <> 160 & 250 Seagate HDD <> Aerocool Strike X (Casing) <>

I've just read the article that intel lets you overclock the Non K series skylake processors (just like the old days, of course you cant overclock it much) so id like to know what are the things i need to consider specially my last overclock was with E5400.. and also the B150 boards also features overclock settings. any thoughts?

I read someone where that you could raise the cpu's base clock to their boost by messing with the bios. And no, it wasn't just changing the base core clock.

Not that i know of. The K series means the CPU is unlocked, so non K series are locked and cannot be OC.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

I read someone where that you could raise the cpu's base clock to their boost by messing with the bios. And no, it wasn't just changing the base core clock.

yeah, thats what i heard also, but some people said that you can push it further than its boost clock, i tried doing it and it let me to change it to 3.3 but i didnt push thru cause i think i need the new bios update of my msi b150 gaming pro

Intel Core i5 - 6400 <> Msi B150A Gaming Pro <> Msi Gtx 970 Gaming <> G.Skill Ripjaw 4 16Gb DDR4 2400mhz

Not that i know of. The K series means the CPU is unlocked, so non K series are locked and cannot be OC.

Back in the days where there are K series, CPU's can be overclocked but the K series arrived with unlocked multiplier making them to be OCed further. I think just like in the old days that you can oc a locked processor but not as far as an unlocked one

I do not recommend OCing.

Back in the days where there are K series, CPU's can be overclocked but the K series arrived with unlocked multiplier making them to be OCed further. I think just like in the old days that you can oc a locked processor but not as far as an unlocked one

Yeah they have got a little more strict on that now i believe but i have never tried to OC a nonK before use to its lock.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

Incorrect.

Non-K cpu's have their multiplier locked. You can however still raise the FSB, which in turn increases the cpu's frequency, as well as the ram's.

FSB x Multiplier = Frequency.

FSB affects ram frequency, the multiplier does not. But FSB overclocking is less effective, and has lower limits than increasing the multiplier.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Incorrect.

Non-K cpu's have their multiplier locked. You can however still raise the FSB, which in turn increases the cpu's frequency, as well as the ram's.

FSB x Multiplier = Frequency.

FSB affects ram frequency, the multiplier does not.

I stand corrected, but i still would not try to OC one.

It seems that, whatever was it that Intel did to Skylake, they did something and you can't OC via BCLK on locked skylake CPUs.... well, you "can", but you won't achieve stability, it jut crashes.....

Yeah, we all felt pretty sad, but that's what people have been reporting.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

well i do miss overclocking but my current skylake can pretty much run the triple A games so im fine with it, regarding the FSB its the basic overclocking trend before to have a 1:1 ratio of FSB and Ram :D kinda miss the old days. I will still try it if i get bored and I update my bios.

As far as I no hey have a locked multiplier but h can of the base lock with a strap something so it doesn't Oc the pcie lanes

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933