Booting to windows with a non supported cpu

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,

Also this xeon is supported and it has a tdp of 95W

Which Xeon? E3-1230V2 is 69W and E3-1245V2 is 77W. Anyway, being rated at something doesn't meant there's not like a 5% headroom. Would be kinda risky if there wasn't at least something. UEFI also allows the BIOS developers to set model-specific settings. They can cap stuff like maximum voltage. 

But since the board only has what looks like a 3-phase VRMs (voltage regulation module) and no cooling at all for them, I'd take as few risks as possible. Blowing VRMs is an awesome way to destroy a good CPU. Although it'd be interesting to know if it blows first or manages to forcibly shut down, I wouldn't go stressing it unless you can spare the whole thing.

Hello. A friend of mine bought this mother board: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H61MK/ 

For this cpu: http://ark.intel.com/products/52209/Intel-Core-i5-2500-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz

The mother board does not support the cpu for some weird reason and he gets this message on boot:

"This cpu is not supported
cpu fan error

Press f1 to run setup"

The cpu fan cpu was not installed correctly we know that...

If he enters the setup and then exit without saving, windows load normally.

Does anybody know what will happen if he keeps using it like this? Or anything else related to this?

-snip-

Have you updated the bios?

EDIT: Is the CPU seated properly?

Nope. Will it change anything?

In the mobo page => support => cpu support

the cpu is not mentioned there..

EDIT: Is the CPU seated properly?

Yes it was removed and reinstalled and nothing changed.

Nope. Will it change anything?

In the mobo page => support => cpu support

the cpu is not mentioned there..

See if there is a bios update, pcpartpicker sometimes says that you have to do a bios update to use a certain CPU on a motherboard.

And if that fails i would either contact Asus or return the motherboard for a different one.

It's a power issue. The i5-2500 is a 95W TDP CPU. So's 2500K which isn't supported either. 2500S (65W TDP) and 2500T (45W TDP) are both supported. Full specs are here. The motherboard only has a 4-pin EPS power connector for the CPU which is rated at 75W. If you want to make generalizations, all 75W TDP and less CPUs should work. I'd suggest rather looking at the list of supported CPUs.

Since it's a hardware issue, BIOS update won't do you good. But since it's recognizing the CPU, you can just try and keep it under 75W with moderate use or maybe underclocking it. I'd rather get a new board with an 8-pin power connector. That's rated for 150W and no Intel CPU exceeds that.

See if there is a bios update, pcpartpicker sometimes says that you have to do a bios update to use a certain CPU on a motherboard.

And if that fails i would either contact Asus or return the motherboard for a different one.

The mobo is returned at the store and will be checked by a technician.

They will only refund 20% which translates to 10 euros or 12~ usd so its not worth it...

It's a power issue. The i5-2500 is a 95W TDP CPU. So's 2500K which isn't supported either. 2500S (65W TDP) and 2500T (45W TDP) are both supported. Full specs are here. The motherboard only has a 4-pin EPS power connector for the CPU which is rated at 75W. If you want to make generalizations, all 75W TDP and less CPUs should work. I'd suggest rather looking at the list of supported CPUs.

Since it's a hardware issue, BIOS update won't do you good. But since it's recognizing the CPU, you can just try and keep it under 75W with moderate use or maybe underclocking it. I'd rather get a new board with an 8-pin power connector. That's rated for 150W and no Intel CPU exceeds that.

+1

This, this is helpful. So could we test it with a cpu stress test? Should we?

Which Xeon? E3-1230V2 is 69W and E3-1245V2 is 77W. Anyway, being rated at something doesn't meant there's not like a 5% headroom. Would be kinda risky if there wasn't at least something. UEFI also allows the BIOS developers to set model-specific settings. They can cap stuff like maximum voltage. 

But since the board only has what looks like a 3-phase VRMs (voltage regulation module) and no cooling at all for them, I'd take as few risks as possible. Blowing VRMs is an awesome way to destroy a good CPU. Although it'd be interesting to know if it blows first or manages to forcibly shut down, I wouldn't go stressing it unless you can spare the whole thing.

Ok thanks!

However, due to the power consumption it will be fine. With older 3 phase motherboards I had no problems running a Xeon X5450, and that consumes a minimum of 80W.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'd rather get a new board with an 8-pin power connector. That's rated for 150W and no Intel CPU exceeds that.

Xeon E7 4890v2

155w

Rekt

Also, 2.8ghz, 37.5m cache, and FREAKIN TERABYTE AND A HALF OF SUPPORTED MEMORY. Also, 15c with hyperthreading. Don't make me mention the e7-8890v3

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Xeon E7 4890v2

155w

Rekt

Also, 2.8ghz, 37.5m cache, and FREAKIN TERABYTE AND A HALF OF SUPPORTED MEMORY. Also, 15c with hyperthreading. Don't make me mention the e7-8890v3

6619$... right...selling points: "Play tetris like never before...or you know,conquer the world..."

6619$... right...selling points: "Play tetris like never before...or you know,conquer the world..."

xD I know, right!

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313