amd fx 6350 vs. intel i5 4460

so by the title you think i'm stupid who would match those processors up against each other but i want to know how much of a overclock i would have to get on the 6350 to get the same performance per core as the 4460.

factor to the decision  

price 

performance 

also upgradability does not concern me so those are the two factors you can base it on 

also tell if you opinion is using air or water cooling 

this if for gaming performance  

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

Just because you can hit a certain frequency realistically doesn't mean you will. Silicon Lottery is an important concept to bear in mind.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

4460 will absolutely cream it :P Even putting liquid nitrogen the on 6350, I like the 4460's chances of winning

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

4460 will absolutely cream it :P Even putting liquid nitrogen the on 6350, I like the 4460's chances of winning

Interestingly, some tasks can favor the 6350 as the 6300 was able to best the 3570K in a certain task.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

the capabilities of the 6350 to "equal" the 4460 just is not practical. more expensive

motherboard, elaborate cooling and fears of always feeling anchored to something

you'll constantly be fretting might crash or be incompatible. not worth the headaches

of running on a ragged edge to something that you literally leave alone and spend

more time playing your division game.

some tasks can favor the 6350 as the 6300 was able to best the 3570K in a certain task.

Fair enough, but this is a gaming showdown :P 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

You can get FX's to go up to 8.7GHz+, I am pretty sure that 8.7GHz of Piledriver is faster than 3.4GHz of Haswell.

http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/02/amd_fx_series/

I did the math on a previous post on how high the OC has to be on an FX to beat a i5 4690k in single core performance, I will find that. (it was a lot less than 9GHz)

You can get FX's to go up to 8.7GHz+, I am pretty sure that 8.7GHz of Piledriver is faster than 3.4GHz of Haswell.

http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/02/amd_fx_series/

I did the math on a previous post on how high the OC has to be on an FX to beat a i5 4690k in single core performance, I will find that. (it was a lot less than 9GHz)

I'm aware, but you need to keep in mind those are 8350s, which are higher quality chips than the 6350

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

I'm aware, but you need to keep in mind those are 8350s, which are higher quality chips than the 6350

True, but you could push most FX 6300s or FX 6350s to 4.5GHz with the right cooling

Assuming there was perfect scaling

Single Core: Source

i5 4460 = 93.7pt, FX 6300 = 71.8pt

71.8/3.5GHz=20.5

20.5 * 4.5 = 92.6

The FX 6300 would have to be at least at 4.5GHZ to be par in single core preformance

derp quoted wrong thing (meant to quote you talking about how 4.5GHz would be on par)

I find that hard to believe, speaking 4.5 GHz FX-8350s lose to the 4460...

The architecture is the same. All Vishera variants have the same IPC.

The architecture is the same. All Vishera variants have the same IPC.

True, but that's not my point. The higher quality chips are turned into 8350s, whilst the lower ones are turned into 4xxx, 6xxx etc (binning)

True, but that's not my point. The higher quality chips are turned into 8350s, whilst the lower ones are turned into 4xxx, 6xxx etc (binning)

I understand that, but that relates to overclocking. Not the capability of the architecture itself between the variants.

I understand that, but that relates to overclocking. Not the capability of the architecture itself between the variants.

? I said even on liquid nitrogen, I would favour the 6350 to beat the 4460. Then someone said the 8350s could hit 8.7 GHz, and I said they overclock better than the 6350 so my point still stands (so it indeed relates to overclocking)

not sure what you're talking about

True, but you could push most FX 6300s or FX 6350s to 4.5GHz with the right cooling

An FX 8350 at 5.3GHz isn't as fast as my 3.1GHz i5 4440 singlethreaded, so.....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

An FX 8350 at 5.3GHz isn't as fast as my 3.1GHz i5 4440 singlethreaded, so.....

You are not the 1st to be defeated by my fineprint!

Ronnie76, on 29 Oct 2015 - 9:33 PM, said:

snapback.png

except math isn't always perfect with CPU's...

I believe it has a diminishing return effect when overclocking, hence after like 5GHz when overclocking, you rely on RAM a lot too rather CPU speed and GHz. It may not but the i5 is still the clear winner.

I did say

what cooling would i need if i went up to 4.5 ghz (and motherboard)

CPU: i5 4690k  (overclocked to 4.3ghz)             CPU Cooler: Cryorig h7                 MOBO:  Msi Z97 pc mate             RAM: 8GB HyperX 1600 blue

GPU: rx480  4gb                                                 CASE: Corsair Spec-01 red              OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 500   watt                                       SSD:    v60gb Mushkin ssd                HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

You are not the 1st to be defeated by my fineprint!

Single threaded comparison-you can't get better performance scaling than that. No fine print about it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Can you overclock the 6350 with MSI 970 MOBO?