Microsoft suddenly decides not to offer Windows 10 November update via Media Creation Tool

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-suddenly-decides-not-to-offer-windows-10-november-update-via-media-creation-tool

Thins got very confusing today, as Microsoft suddenly - without warning or explanation - appeared to pull the Windows 10 "November update" that it released just over a week ago.

As a result, the Media Creation Tool, which had allowed users to download ISOs of the update(known also as version 1511/build 10586), suddenly stopped offering the new version, instead reverting to installation of building 10240 - the original public release of Windows 10, which came out back in July. The company also updated it's notes for the Tool, stating that " these downloads cannot be used to update Windows 10 PCs to the November update(version 1511)".

Bizarrely, despite Microsoft previously recommending the Tool to users who wished to installed version 1511, it now says that will no longer be an option.

Only after ZDNet's Ed Bott approached the company to ask for some sort of explanation did it offer the following statement:

The November update was originally available via the MCT tool, but we've decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

As Ed points out, that explanation seems a little unusual, given the sudden nature of the update's removal from the Tool, and the fact that Microsoft made no announcement about its decision, despite previously encouraging users to install 1511 using the Tool.

Windows 10 November update: FAQ page Windows 10 November update: FAQ - Windows Help used to have a upgrade to 1511 link, not anymore pic.twitter.com/ciAnvlOTwQ

— Tero Alhonen (@teroalhonen) November 21, 2015
As Tero Alhonen first spotted, the company has also updated its release notes, stripping out a paragraph that had previously stated that you "if you uninstalled the November update for your PC, you won't be able to install it again from Windows Update. Instead, you'll need to go to the Microsoft software download website, and select Upgrade now to upgrade your PC to Windows 10 Version 1511, which includes the November update."

Whatever the explanation, those wishing to perform a clean install of the new OS will now have to install 10240 ISOs using the Tool, and then update to 10586 via Windows Update.

Source: Ed Bott / ZDNet 

Update: Despite Microsoft's statement that users should now install the November update/Version 1511 via Windows Update, some readers have contacted us to point out that they're currently unable to do so.

Update 2: Reports that Microsoft had pulled the update from Windows Update too proved to be wide of the mark. In a statement to WinBeta, the company said categorically that it has "not pulled" the update (including that rather forceful underline).

can you please select all your text in the post and use the "auto" color

It gets really hard to read for dark theme users otherwise

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

can you please select all your text in the post and use the "auto" color

It gets really hard to read for dark theme users otherwise

It is in auto color. 

probably hackers been cracking windows 10 with it.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Well, good thing I got that ISO before this and was able to successfully install it on two different machines. Why do this.. that update is MASSIVE, not only did it take a long time to download with crappy internet speed, it also took a long time to install, ain't nobody got time to do that on multiple machines if you can just clean install it with the update using the ISO.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

It is in auto color. 

The quote wasnt when i first read it

Fix, now happy? 

yes, much happy now

Well, good thing I got that ISO before this and was able to successfully install it on two different machines. Why do this.. that update is MASSIVE, not only did it take a long time to download with crappy internet speed, it also took a long time to install, ain't nobody got time to do that on multiple machines if you can just clean install it with the update using the ISO.

Doesn't windows update use home network P2P file sharing of updates? I could be wrong.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

probably hackers been cracking windows 10 with it.

They dont' care about that

Thank god i made my usb with it when i did then lol

Doesn't windows update use home network P2P file sharing of updates? I could be wrong.

Does that thing even work? Because honestly, that has never really worked for me. I have 4 Windows 10 PCs in the house, all of them had to individually download the update and it still got everything off the web, if I am to believe my data usage for that day. I'm guessing you need to make a homegroup or something like that?

Also wouldn't be of much help if you want/need to install Windows 10 on someone else's PC, as in, not in your home.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Does that thing even work? Because honestly, that has never really worked for me. I have 4 Windows 10 PCs in the house, all of them had to individually download the update and it still got everything off the web, if I am to believe my data usage for that day. I'm guessing you need to make a homegroup or something like that?

Also wouldn't be of much help if you want/need to install Windows 10 on someone else's PC, as in, not in your home.

Truthfully I've never actually tested the feature so I don't know if it actually works or not. You're probably right in that it requires a Homegroup. And your last point is very true.

CPU i5 4690k 4.5GHz 

RAM 16GB 1866MHz 

GPU 980 Ti 1.2GHz 

Hmm, weird. Would like more clarification on this. Can't see reason behind it.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Probably because it caused problem to some users. I am sure next big update, the Media Creation tool would be possible as they would have fixed the issue(s) by then.

While it might be a slight inconvenience that you have to download all the updates released since July, I don't see this being a "big deal", to be honest.

It's not like the update from 8 to 8.1 where it took forever and a couple weeks for the update to finish <_<

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

hmm well i recently formatted my computer with the latest MCT tool, i didnt get any issues, be interesting to see what they do in the future, and if they tell us the reason behind it

I bet it has something to do with stability and some other shit MS broke with this update

for more than a week I did not received the "november update" on my W10 Home laptop and I forced it via the media creation tool - so far I haven't noticed anything wrong, but I heard people claiming software missing

one thing new to this update that makes me absolutely furious: there is absolutely no way to block driver updates

the ability to "not check for driver updates" has just vanished:

5XpGtGt.png

bad move MS! really bad move

as of now the W10 adoption is not as widespread, but things will change and MS will have a mob with pitchforks and torches at their door

I bet it has something to do with stability and some other shit MS broke with this update

for more than a week I did not received the "november update" on my W10 Home laptop and I forced it via the media creation tool - so far I haven't noticed anything wrong, but I heard people claiming software missing

one thing new to this update that makes me absolutely furious: there is absolutely no way to block driver updates

the ability to "not check for driver updates" has just vanished:

bad move MS! really bad move

as of now the W10 adoption is not as widespread, but things will change and MS will have a mob with pitchforks and torches at their door

The option in Windows 10 original release, the option to not check didn't work, at least for me. It still forced the update. And the Windows Hide update tool doesn't detect the driver update to hide. Brilliant, I know. The forced driver update is really annoying me. I always said it, and continue to say, we should have the ability to hide AT LEAST driver updates.

The option in Windows 10 original release, the option to not check didn't work, at least for me. It still forced the update. And the Windows Hide update tool doesn't detect the driver update to hide. Brilliant, I know. The forced driver update is really annoying me. I always said it, and continue to say, we should have the ability to hide AT LEAST driver updates.

it didn't worked for me either, but I heard people using it so I though was something on my end

MS rushed W10 out of the doors way to soon; even this "let's not call it service pack" hasn't fixed stuff, broke some more

The update caused my boot time to increase from about 7 seconds to around 45 seconds, also I don't know if it was ms or nvidia update, but something turned on the 3d option in my GeForce drivers, games displayed shitty, took forever to figure out

I have realized that you love copy and pasting news from other sites as your own.

This is called plagiarism. This is not allowed in the Tech News section.

Please use quotes on thing you copy over, and explain the news in your own words. I moved the news under General Discussion until you fix your post. (PM me when you do so that I can move it back to the Tech News section).

Please read the Tech News guideline: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11724-read-before-posting-in-this-section/