Question about surround reciever and sound card.

Winther

I have a Yamaha RX-V767 which is a 7.1 surround reciever and I only have 5 speakers and a sub. But I cant figure out why the computer or reciever sends the wrong signal to my rear speakers. They are connected correctly and I have set both reciever and computer to 5.1 audio. But when doing a sound channel test, when sound is suppoed to come from rear right and then rear left it comes out from both front speakers, with a lowered volume.

But when listening to music there is sound comming from the rear speakers. But then in a game where there is someone talking directly behind me, I have no sound at all..

I have really thought about what could be wrong, but I just figure it out.. :/

Also when Im in entertainment mode (i have a Creative Soundblaster card, X-Fi titanium to be excact) there is a hissing sound/static from all speakers..?

//Winther

(Comming soon)

I have a very similar setup do you have the dts or dolby encoder on? Does your receiver support dts or dolby encoding?  What type of cables are you using to connect the receiver maybe you don’t need the encoder if you’re using analog connections.

in the Creative audio control panel do you have it setup for 5.1 under the speakers tab. also in the windows audio you have it setup to be 5.1 and use the speakers not the spdif out this is what i did wrong i always had my defaultplay back device set to spdif out because that's what i thought was correct. once you set it as the speakers make sure it is set up for 5.1 using the configure button.

I have the creative software set the correct way, and I have it set to speakers in windows.. let me check if I have it set to 5.1 in windows..

(Comming soon)

it should all be set correctly..

(Comming soon)

well if you have everything setup right and it is still not working you could try the beta drivers. but before doing that maybe it is some setting in the receiver?

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried to run test tones to see if the channels are connected correctly? Run this from the PC.

For me it sounds like you have connected the speakers to the receiver wrong. Remember that in a 5.1 setup you should use the speaker output "Surrond" and NOT "Surround Back" for the surround channels. Have you run the roomcorrection setup from the receiver?

The receiver also have a bi-amp feautre, where you can run 2 amp pr channel to the front, maybe this is in use some how?

Other suggestions are surround modes in the receiver. Try and find an auto setting. The amp should remember what you used for different input types, 5.1 or 2 ch ect.

For me some of the PC software often run music in surround mode, which isn't a good thing.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

I have the speakers connected to the surround back channels.. so it would seem that it is as simple as that.. :P well now I feel stupid, but then again I have never been a HiFi nerd.. :)

Howcome you have to use the surround channel and not the surround back? doesnt really make sence to me? but I will try that soon.

If I remember correctly I have turned on the Bi-Amp setting becuase, as I remember its the only 5.1 setting.. but I might be wrong on that.

(Comming soon)

I have the speakers connected to the surround back channels.. so it would seem that it is as simple as that.. :P well now I feel stupid, but then again I have never been a HiFi nerd.. :)

Howcome you have to use the surround channel and not the surround back? doesnt really make sence to me? but I will try that soon.

If I remember correctly I have turned on the Bi-Amp setting becuase, as I remember its the only 5.1 setting.. but I might be wrong on that.

Well its quite simple actually - thats how they were defined by the audio industry.. so the 2 front + 1 center = 3 out of 5 and surround make the other 2 hence the 5. the surround back were added later in the evolution of 7.1 so adding 2 more made the total 7. There was actually a 6.1 seeting also where there was a single surround back speaker. Now going further 9.1 has 2 more added speakers that go above the seating area (in the roof so to say) so they are labelled "surround height" and in 11.1 you have 2 more added in front which are labelled "Front Height" and are placed a few feet above the front speakers.

hope that clarifies your dilema..

Thanks

DL

I get how the "numbering" works, atleast I think so :P but I just dont get why, with a 5.1 system on a 7.1 reciever, you have to connect the surround back speakers to the surround ports on the reciever. Its kinda hard to explain.. :D but hope you understand what I mean..

(Comming soon)

Everything you need to know.

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/audyssey-dsx-2

With 5.1 there is no "surround back" or "rear" channel, only "surround" because there is only one set of speakers surrounding you, either beside or behind depending on your placement. Also, not to nitpick DataLepton, but with 9 channel, or even 7 for that matter you have the option to run either "front height" or "front wide" depending on the limitation of your receiver. Further more, no current receiver is capable of 11 channel on its own, it requires an external amplifier.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Well knight_40K youre right about the naming scheme, and how those extra channels can be used but i dont think you need external amps for the 11.x output. I do see receivers with 11.1 / 11.2 channels. Most of these receivers use the Zone 1,2,3 connections to provide the additional 9.x, 11.x speakers. and example is the Yamaha RX-A3020 (http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/aventage/rx-a3020_black_u/?mode=model) and that has 11 discrete channels at the back. And you may want to check this out as well http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2012/06/dts-onkyo-deliver-worlds-first-11-point-1-neo-x-receiver.aspx

The main problem right now is the availability of truly 9.x or 11.x encoded content. Most of the 9.x and 11.x receivers use technology like Audessey to upscale the audio to required channels.

Again thats just my undstanding, and im an expert by no means!!

I'm a little confused now.. The 5.1 reciever I had before had a surround back channel.. so why cant I get surround back with 5 speakers on an 7.1 reciever..?

(Comming soon)

not sure if i'm understanding you correctly but here it goes =). I assume you're familiar with the front left/front right and center speaker positioning and wireing. With a 5.1 system, it's the "surround" that's the default for rear left and rear right speakers. It's only in a 7.1 setup that you use the "surround back" outlets. Mind you, if you only feed a 5.1 signal to the AVR, while plugging in your back speaker pair to "surround back" then you coud get alla sorts of problems. //in short re-wire your rear or back speakers to the "surround" outlet on your AVR, if the issue remains then let me know =)

Sorry DataLepton, I hate to be 'that guy' but take a closer look at the specs, neither of those receivers have 11 built-in amps. They have only 9 amps but are capable of 11 channel output with the use of an external amp. You are looking for 12 or more pre-outs.

You are right about one thing, there is no true 9 or 11 channel content. The listening mode (ie NEO:X, DSX, PLII Z) does that on the fly and expands a 5.1/7.1 source into the extra channels which if you ask me does a fine job.

Also any bi-amping done with a receiver itself and not the use of separate amps is known as passive bi-amp and will have no audible performance gain. It will only make your speakers look fancy from the rear because you plugged in all 4 or 6 terminals.

And Winther, in some cases a receiver may be called 5.1 but actually capable of 6.1 which is why you have that extra set of terminals at the back. You will notice it says "surround back/bi-amp" meaning one or the other. Otherwise you would have a left and a right set of "surround back".

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Well as long as you all agree that I have to use the surround outputs for my back speakers on my current 7.1 reciever..?

all the other stuff I dont understand anyway.. :D

(Comming soon)

Knight_40K well you are right. I read some other articles as well. Oh well atleast i learnt something new today!!

Thanks for the info though! and as i said im quite a noob with Hi-Fi audio.

are you using a digital cable or anagolg. digital is better, so use optical or coax. If you mobo has a optical connector try it. their is no sound difference as it is a digital signal. if it works the sound card is the prob if it has same prob you know the problem is in the reciver.

Glad I could help and clear that up :) I'm sort of an AV guy, I've spent several years learning about audio while piecing together my system and just like the PC, the hobby is a neverending money pit...in a good way :)