CPU Options

Hey,

So i'm currently running an FX-8350 with a Gigabyte 970A-D3P mobo, and I don't have enough money to get a new CPU & Mobo so I was wondering how much better the FX-9590 is then the FX-8350?

Is it worth upgrading?

Cheers,

RP

Hey,

So i'm currently running an FX-8350 with a Gigabyte 970A-D3P mobo, and I don't have enough money to get a new CPU & Mobo so I was wondering how much better the FX-9590 is then the FX-8350?

Is it worth upgrading?

Cheers,

RP

You do have enough money to get a new CPU and mobo. For the price of a 9590 you could get this. It also has a Z97 so you could upgrade to an overclockable CPU later on.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($172.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $244.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-19 20:41 EST-0500

I'm in Australia so that's $350 for me but is that really worth it? Is that combo better then my current mobo with a 9590?

I'm in Australia so that's $350 for me but is that really worth it? Is that combo better then my current mobo with a 9590?

It probably will be. If you are gaming, the i5 will be better than any FX series. Also, if you have no interest in upgrading to a 4690K/4790K, then you can go with this setup.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($275.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: MSI H81M-E34 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $354.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-20 12:57 AEDT+1100

for gaming, yes. By leaps and bounds.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

@ReversePlasma

these comments from another thread might help in your solution:

you need the Gigabyte GA 970A UD3P not the D3P.... the UD3P is the OC board. the D3P will not handle overclocking a FX 8320.

UD3P is 8+2 phase, solid caps and high quality board

D3P is 4+1 phase, still good caps, but not nearly as good of a board.

the D3P can run the 8320 at stock speeds, maybe you can OC to 4GHz at best.

the UD3P can handle OC of atleast 4.5 GHz, maybe even higher if you do not use too much voltage

for overclocking ABOVE 4.5GHz i would NEVER get anything else then a 990FX board.

I USED TO OWN A FX 8320 FOR 3 YEARS! Before switching to intel. Ive OCd my FX 8320 to 4.52GHz on the ASUS 990FX Sabertooth R.2 Board. Which IS among the top 4 boards for FX CPUs...

Trust me when i say: Motherboard quality and number of phases matters A LOT with FX overclocking.

These are safe boards for Overclocing:

Good: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-ga970aud3p

Better: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-970gaming

Best: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970performance

the CPU is not the issue here. The Gigabyte GA 970A D3P is made to ONLY handle 140w of power. the copper "wires" inside the board is NOT DIMENSIONED OR RATED to handle 220w of power draw.

what you did, is like hooking up a 500w GPU onto a 300w PSU...

the fact that the board did not catch fire, is astonishing.

also, the UD3P isn't really capable of handling a 220w CPU either... you need a top of the line 990FX board for that. Because not even all the 990FX boards are made to handle the 9370 or 9590 over longer periods of time....

An AIO is worse for a mobo, as it takes away the airflow created by the CPU fans... infact, most motherboard manufacturers COUNT on the CPU cooler fans airflow to move some air onto the socket area for cooling. Quite a lot of motherboards, both Intel and AMD, would not actually have the same TDP tolerance without a fan blowing onto/across the board itself.

Motherboards, like any component, gets HOT TOO. It needs some cooling.