Setup VPN on only one SSID/band

Kaarlis_

Hi guys,

With networking I have very low to no experience so I would like to ask you this.

I am using ASUS RT-AC3200 router that supports 3 bands/SSIDs (apologies if I am not using the corrent term). One is 2.4 GHz while two are 5 GHz.

Setting up a VPN client on the router was straightforward but it automatically takes all of my devices and connections through this VPN.

Anyhow, I was wondering if it is possible to make only one of the SSIDs (one of my two 5GHz ones) use Privateinternetaccess.com VPN for Netflix etc. while other 2 might use my default settings for local content. Since I do not live in US, taking all of my connections through US VPN is cumbersome for my speed.

Any helps or links to guides appreciated.

ASUS STRIX-GTX970 (1475, 8010), i5-4690K, ASUS Z97 MAXIMUS RANGER VII, EVO 840 250 GB SSD, ETS-T40-TB, Crucial Ballistix 8GB, FSP 600W Gold, FD Define R4, Razer BlackWidow Tournament Edition, Razer Deathadder, Windows 10 Developer Preview

• 4 years later...

Such a necro :P

With most basic home equipment, I'd think not really.  SSIDs are basically a layer 2/ethernet segment so you don't have any traffic decisions based on layer 3 that impact those segments outside of the gateway address and traffic egressing that segment.

If you had some enterprise or prosumer gear you could carve out a different VLAN/subnet and only permit that as a source in your VPN policy for interesting traffic, and create a SSID tied to that VLAN which would VPN on/off based on which SSID you were on.  I don't think those AIO units give you that flexibility.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C