"I've broken my everything!"

c0d3r3d

(I believe this is in the right place (it involves the CPU and mobo at least, if not, sorry!)

Hi all,

So, yeah. I think my system is losing the plot. I bought all the parts back in 2013 and basically finished it up on Christmas day of that year. It's been a very good performer, until recently.

It just feels like everything's on the wonk.

JC2, a game I used to flawlessly run at 80FPS on ultra has started to lag in forest areas. Battlefield 3 and 4 run nowhere near what they used to. I've started seeing graphical glitches (even to the point where one monitor becomes completely unusable) on both of my monitors every so often.

I tried Handbraking a video earlier to find that my PC barely does it any faster than my dad's dual core Pentium system (6fps versus 4fps that he was getting on the very slow x264 preset).

I've overclocked my CPU but these issues were happening way before I tried to. Before I set up my overclocking I noticed that my CPU had stopped reaching its turbo speed (3.72 was the highest it ever went, it used to hit 4.1 easily) though I think that was a BIOS setting I missed.

I had two RAM sticks of different speeds and age die within two weeks of each other in my system (got those replaced and all is good RAM side).

The onboard fan controller just goes nuts and thinks my fans are running at 675K RPM, as well as reporting strange voltages (6v on the 3.3v line, 0.2v on the 12v line, etc). 

I'm not sure where to start with diagnostics. I'm not getting any blue screens but I know something's up. I've tried swapping the GPU with my dad's old one and while it seems like the glitching had stopped, it's hard to tell since it's completely random when it happens. I don't have another system that will accept my GPU at the moment.

Here's the glitching that keeps happening (note, it's not the monitor, rebooting is the only way to fix it. also sorry for the crap quality): http://imgur.com/a/05yXb

Also, here's my specs (the GPU is a Gigabyte HD7870 2GB): http://imgur.com/a/MGpB5

Maybe my hardware's just old, maybe something is actually broken. Not sure at this point. If anyone can suggest to me things to try or want more info from me, drop me a line and I'll reply back as soon as I can.

Thanks for your help!

What are your temps like. Sounds like it could be throttling. Clean your heat sinks and fans, if that doesn't fix it, replace the thermal paste.

If that isn't the cause, it could be malware. It would probably be easier to do a clean install of Windows if that's the case.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

Did you tried resetting CMOS ? and changing the cell

Yeah, did that as I tried flashing my BIOS to the latest version but it refused to boot from that point on. Flashed it back and that reset it.

How often do you clean it out?? could be overheating

Not that often but it's clean enough. My GPU's refuses to go any higher than 60C-ish and my CPU doesn't go past that either (woo for CM Seidon 120v!)

To incarnate (posted after I submitted my post):

Right now, my GPU's at 34C and my CPU temps are at 24C (package) and 37C (under the motherboard bit) according to HWmonitor. This install's pretty clean anyway, though I might give that a go soon. I just hope my key works after (since this was a free key from being an Insider)! :P

I think the memory on your 7870 is gone. Not much you can do except upgrade. Maybe there's warranty on it so it can be RMA'd. 

If your dads GPU works and yours doesn't then that could be it^

Although if there's any dust or build up give the system a clean. Lower operating temperatures help with component life. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

It just feels like everything's on the wonk.

That's more quotable than it should be.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

How often do you clean it out?? could be overheating

Dust kills. Clean it with compressed air or something

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Yep my fx6300 was hitting 90 after 2 months on stock cooler due to dust!!!

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

I think the memory on your 7870 is gone. Not much you can do except upgrade. Maybe there's warranty on it so it can be RMA'd. 

If your dads GPU works and yours doesn't then that could be it^

Although if there's any dust or build up give the system a clean. Lower operating temperatures help with component life. 

I'll check in a moment, I'm doubtful and the box is gone (because my parents wanted to throw it for some reason) so that probably won't help. Still, no harm in trying.

Yep my fx6300 was hitting 90 after 2 months on stock cooler due to dust!!!

Probably should have posted this first, but this is what HWMonitor is telling me (note the FANIN2 max speed):

jxw4Ph9.png

I'll check in a moment, I'm doubtful and the box is gone (because my parents wanted to throw it for some reason) so that probably won't help. Still, no harm in trying.

Probably should have posted this first, but this is what HWMonitor is telling me (note the FANIN2 max speed):

The card might have a serial number sticker on it.

I think that's just HWMonitor being an idiot. It's done that a few times for me. Hardware based fan controllers shouldn't have that issue. Or at least the Lamptron i have hasn't reported weird readings like that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The card might have a serial number sticker on it.

I think that's just HWMonitor being an idiot. It's done that a few times for me. Hardware based fan controllers shouldn't have that issue. Or at least the Lamptron i have hasn't reported weird readings like that. 

Just peered in through my desktop's window and yeah, it's got a sticker with a number and barcode on it. I'll give it a shot now.

About HWM being weird, it's not HWM. Speedfan and even the BIOS reports the batsh*t insane speeds.

EDIT: Okay, looks like this is it. Hooo boy. (why can't people do it like corsair? :( )

ByYZmJE.png

well, it is a 7870... while it should still run just fine, it is by all means a 270X...

i would suggest waiting a little, then try get a R9 380X. They should launch within the next two weeks. That will be THE best GPU you can get for your FX 6300 before the CPU starts to bottleneck the GPU.

Maybe think about an 8350, but give the 9590 a miss, it is just a ridiculous OC on a 8000 series, with no regard for the TDP.

A new GPU might benefit you a great deal, though.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just peered in through my desktop's window and yeah, it's got a sticker with a number and barcode on it. I'll give it a shot now.

About HWM being weird, it's not HWM. Speedfan and even the BIOS reports the batsh*t insane speeds.

As said above, invest in a new card, but also think about moving to intel! As the FX chip is almost dead

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

Okay, site's back up. Hello everyone :P

well, it is a 7870... while it should still run just fine, it is by all means a 270X...

i would suggest waiting a little, then try get a R9 380X. They should launch within the next two weeks. That will be THE best GPU you can get for your FX 6300 before the CPU starts to bottleneck the GPU.

Yeah, I understand the 7870's not exactly a top performer but I know it's supposed to do way more than it currently can. That R9 card seems to be pretty cheap (about £170, as much as I paid for my 7870), so I'll look into that once they arrive.

Maybe think about an 8350, but give the 9590 a miss, it is just a ridiculous OC on a 8000 series, with no regard for the TDP.

As said above, invest in a new card, but also think about moving to intel! As the FX chip is almost dead

Well, at the moment I'll probably invest more into a GPU since my CPU's doing pretty well for me at the moment. Though if it does go kablooey, then yeah, I'll move to Intel. Maybe something like a high end i5 would do, right?

About Gigabyte, I sent off an email asking how I would go about an RMA, no response as of yet. Knowing me I've probably used the email but I'll give it a couple more days.

Thanks for your help everyone!

• 5 weeks later...

Status update (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing this)!

Gigabyte emailed me yesterday and told me they found no problems with the GPU. Ran Kombustor and FurMark for 15 hours, no issues. Ran some other benchmarks, no issues. They mentioned that it's either my monitors (which it isn't) or it's my motherboard.

The thing is, I bought an R9 380x (as it was my birthday a couple weeks ago) and I've not seen any flickering problems. What I have seen though is that Borderlands 2, Battlefield 4, and Just Cause 3 all run like horse shite. JC3 never seems to hit 60FPS, BL2 keeps dropping under 60 (it can go higher, frame rates seem to be random), and BF4's in the same situation as JC3. Other games though run fine.

I'm really confused now. About moving to intel and such, that's exactly what I'm going to be doing. I've prepared myself a small list of stuff to get (mainly an x99 mobo and a 5820K i7) so I'm ready to switch once I get the funds to do it.

With the BIOS OC issues, that's been resolved. Somehow I managed to reset it by mistake (or broke something somewhere) so I redid my OC. 4.3GHz and stable! \o/

I'm not really sure where to proceed now. If replacing my motherboard is the next step, I'll wait and get the X99 board I want (GA-X99-SLI) and then upgrade. At this stage, I don't know if there's a problem at all, or if I'm expecting too much out of lower end hardware.

Again, thanks so much for your help everyone.

Status update (I hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing this)!

Gigabyte emailed me yesterday and told me they found no problems with the GPU. Ran Kombustor and FurMark for 15 hours, no issues. Ran some other benchmarks, no issues. They mentioned that it's either my monitors (which it isn't) or it's my motherboard.

The thing is, I bought an R9 380x (as it was my birthday a couple weeks ago) and I've not seen any flickering problems. What I have seen though is that Borderlands 2, Battlefield 4, and Just Cause 3 all run like horse shite. JC3 never seems to hit 60FPS, BL2 keeps dropping under 60 (it can go higher, frame rates seem to be random), and BF4's in the same situation as JC3. Other games though run fine.

I'm really confused now. About moving to intel and such, that's exactly what I'm going to be doing. I've prepared myself a small list of stuff to get (mainly an x99 mobo and a 5820K i7) so I'm ready to switch once I get the funds to do it.

With the BIOS OC issues, that's been resolved. Somehow I managed to reset it by mistake (or broke something somewhere) so I redid my OC. 4.3GHz and stable! \o/

I'm not really sure where to proceed now. If replacing my motherboard is the next step, I'll wait and get the X99 board I want (GA-X99-SLI) and then upgrade. At this stage, I don't know if there's a problem at all, or if I'm expecting too much out of lower end hardware.

Again, thanks so much for your help everyone.

Why the 5820 over the 6700k? It sounds like you're gaming and the 6700k should be better at it. The other issue seems like slow cpu to me, so upgrade might be a good option.

CPU: Ryzen 3 3600 | GPU: Gigabite GTX 1660 super | Motherboard: MSI Mortar MAX | RAM: G Skill Trident Z 3200 (2x8GB) | Case: Cooler Master Q300L | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 250G + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Displays: LG 27'' G-Sync compatible 144hz 1080p | Cooling: NH U12S black | Keyboard: Logitech G512 carbon | Mouse: Logitech g900 

Why the 5820 over the 6700k? It sounds like you're gaming and the 6700k should be better at it. The other issue seems like slow cpu to me, so upgrade might be a good option.

To be honest, I just saw "hex core" and went "ooooh I'll have that". It's not much more to get the 6700K, so I'll swap the 5820K out. Thanks for the recommendation!

• 4 weeks later...

I have the 9590 and I enjoy having the best of the FX processors and I do like to tinker with watercooling and such but I would recommend the 8350. The 9590 is like the popular rich one that is kinda cool but also a total bitch and the 8350 is the one that everyone likes and is always nice.