Suggestions on my first build?

xblade

Hello! I posted here about a month ago, and with help, came up with the follow part list :

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($216.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($80.99 @ NCIX US) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($62.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($429.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NZXT) 
Monitor: Acer GN246HL 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($177.58 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1319.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-12 18:13 EST-0500

But then the new Skylakes came out, and I was looking around last night and came up with this: 

Motherboard: MSI Z170 Krait Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($133.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  ($333.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H440 (Blue/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NZXT) 
Total: $1140.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-12 18:12 EST-0500

Both of these builds would be from scratch. So my question is, is there a reason to not go with the newest Skylake? (if I should, any improvements to the build?)

Goals: I would like to stay around the$1300 mark. Currently I play gw2 and LoL the most. I want to play Mordor, Fallout 4, The Witcher, and games like that with the build I end up with. 

PossibilitiesIt would be awesome if I could achieve great 1440p gaming, but I'm not sure if I can at this price. If I can, that's awesome. But I understand if the price would limit me to 1080p.

Future: Obviously I would like this system to last a while. Hopefully getting a second monitor in the near future.

So, I guess I want to know what would be better for me. If you guys can help, that would be greatly appreciated. other build suggestions are also welcomed! 

Get the skylake option - it's cheaper and the parts all seem good to me. It's late so I might miss something but it looks okay.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

A 390 or 390x would be able to handle 1440p just fine :P and there's nothing wrong with those lists at all but you may want to get a bigger cooler if you're spending that much already (NH-D15S, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3...etc) and maybe also a 250GB SSD as 120GB tends to fill up fast.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Give me 15 minutes to draft a much better build. But yes, go with skylake at this point. 

Actually you have a pretty good rig. Just get a 250GB ssd. Trust me, you'll appreciate the extra space. 120GB is anemic. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Looks nice. Definitely go with the Skylake one. I would suggest getting a 250 GB samsung SSD, as it's only 15-20 dollars more and offers twice the storage. If you aren't completely stuck with AMD, maybe a GTX 970, but unless you want GeForce experience and CUDA, the 390 is good. Nice build

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Looks nice. I would suggest getting a 250 GB samsung SSD, as it's only 15-20 dollars more and offers twice the storage. If you aren't completely stuck with AMD, maybe a GTX 970, but unless you want GeForce experience and CUDA, the 390 is good. Nice build

Thing is @op is potentially wanting to go 1440 in the future in which case. 8GB VRAM would be rather helpful.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

Thing is @op is potentially wanting to go 1440 in the future in which case. 8GB VRAM would be rather helpful.

Ah, okay. I didn't see that

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

A 390 or 390x would be able to handle 1440p just fine  :P and there's nothing wrong with those lists at all but you may want to get a bigger cooler if you're spending that much already (NH-D15S, be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3...etc) and maybe also a 250GB SSD as 120GB tends to fill up fast.

is a bigger cooler necessary? I would love to get a cooler with blue LEDs and all that. But money... I still need to add the cost of a 1440p monitor to the second rig  :unsure:  If I need it though, I may be able to work something out.

speaking of that, any good suggestions for a budget(ish) 1440p monitor?

is a bigger cooler necessary? I would love to get a cooler with blue LEDs and all that. But money... I still need to add the cost of a 1440p monitor to the second rig :unsure: If I need it though, I may be able to work something out.

speaking of that, any good suggestions for a budget(ish) 1440p monitor?

When I say bigger cooler I mean that the 212 Evo appears to be oriented to users who need to get a better cooler as a stopgap measure. Plus a larger cooler would be able to cool better. And my monitor knowledge isn't good at all :/

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

When I say bigger cooler I mean that the 212 Evo appears to be oriented to users who need to get a better cooler as a stopgap measure. Plus a larger cooler would be able to cool better. And my monitor knowledge isn't good at all :/

hmmm, I have nothing opposed to looking into more coolers if you can post a few links for me?  :P

Are you planning with playing at dual monitor 1440p?

It would be sweet if I could do that! But not right away, no. What I may end up doing(due to money) is starting with a 1080p monitor, then getting a 1440p monitor for Christmas, and setting the 1080 next to it ifI need to looksomething up while in game, or watch a movie or something.

But dual 1440p would be sweet if I could get it to work.