So. Turns out my GPU is a little bit too big...

★ Coups ★
Go to solution Solved by shibbs,

They're acrylic panels.  Relatively low heat will definitely melt it. 

Use the burner on your electric stove, NOT an open flame of any kind. It will be MUCH more likely to start on fire and discolor.

I have lots of experience with the stuff making custom fish aquariums and whatnot. Once you heat the acrylic, ANY contact with anything (fingers, wood, metal, ANYTHING) will definitely make it look like shit. 

Heat it up over the smallest burner on your stove, SLOWLY, and just let the weight of itself weigh down and bulge the panel. Then allow it to cool slowly. 

Silly, stupid side note. I have the same card and also was very surprised at how beefy it is.

So. To avoid embarresment, I will state my issue then run away, never to be seen again.

In all seriousness, Ive purchased a MSI GTX 970 for a Corsair Air 240. The problem with this is that the MSI GTX 970 is wider than the average GPU, and wont fit into the case correctly. 

Im in love with the case now and I really dont want to part ways with it, and it would be an expensive fix either way.

So. I need a solution other than to grind half of the damn cooler off, and I dont want to use watercooling as its expensive, and It doesnt get hot enough anyway. The only solution I can think of is somehow get a swap...

Thanks for any replies/solutions! :wacko:

p.s: Im aware that its a small issue, but I would like it to look good, and am aware that the dust filters need a little bit of a clean :D

Now I will run away!

post-237087-0-94702400-1447271574_thumb.

post-237087-0-76166000-1447271575_thumb.

post-237087-0-48080500-1447271576_thumb.

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

Take out the window on panel around the GPU if you wanna ghetto mod it

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Return the 970 and get a Nano? :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

make a hole on the sidepanel?

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

I would cut a whole into the side panel at the exact spot where the heatpipe is, so the heatpipe is sticking slightly out of the case. I think that would look actually pretty cool if you do it right.

I would cut a whole into the side panel at the exact spot where the heatpipe is, so the heatpipe is sticking slightly out of the case. I think that would look actually pretty cool if you do it right.

make a hole on the sidepanel?

Take out the window on panel around the GPU if you wanna ghetto mod it

Cut gaping hole in side panel. You win.

Was thinking of doing that, but if I damage or mess up the side panel, It will look even worse. Any good techniques for cutting plastic? (I cant name the plastic type, sorry) Also, I agree, it would look pretty badass ;)

Return the 970 and get a Nano? :P

I beleive I cannot return it anymore. Ill check.

Loosen the mounts on the panel window so it bulges a bit? You know what they say about noticeable bulges...

I dont think the case works like that, It has little hooks running along the top and bottom row of the case which the panel slots into. Then the screws are at the back of the case to hold it in. :(

Thanks for the replies!

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Was thinking of doing that, but if I damage or mess up the side panel, It will look even worse. Any good techniques for cutting plastic? (I cant name the plastic type, sorry)

I dont think the case works like that, It has little hooks running along the top and bottom row of the case which the panel slots into. Then the screws are at the back of the case to hold it in. :(

Thanks for the replies!

Use a Dremel 

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Use a Dremel 

Will this scratch or damage the plastic? Its pretty thick stuff.

Take off screws > Bend little plastic tabs back a little = Profit/Broken.. be careful if you do so :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

if that's an acrylic panel................ get a small torch or heat it over a low flame on the stovetop. the panel will begin to soften. with the correct tool ( piece of wood or shaped object ) you can put a depression in the "glass" and shouldn't look too bad.......... unless yopu rush yourself.... heat and mould/heat and mould. try not to do it all at once. be careful not to get the paint too hot.

I think I might be able to get a replacment.

What GTX 970 will fit, and what will deliver the best performance?

Use the burner on your electric stove, NOT an open flame of any kind. It will be MUCH more likely to start on fire and discolor.

I have lots of experience with the stuff making custom fish aquariums and whatnot. Once you heat the acrylic, ANY contact with anything (fingers, wood, metal, ANYTHING) will definitely make it look like shit. 

Heat it up over the smallest burner on your stove, SLOWLY, and just let the weight of itself weigh down and bulge the panel. Then allow it to cool slowly. 

Silly, stupid side note. I have the same card and also was very surprised at how beefy it is.

Hopefully pleasently surprised ;)

Hopefully pleasently surprised ;)

Yes, definitely. My case has plenty of room for it.  :lol:

Was thinking of doing that, but if I damage or mess up the side panel, It will look even worse. Any good techniques for cutting plastic? (I cant name the plastic type, sorry) Also, I agree, it would look pretty badass ;)

Thanks for the replies!

You can try to cut it using a dremel tool, the window might be made of acrylic if I'm not wrong, you could search how to cut it

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

wasn't talking about melting it but making it pliable. and if you're careful it can be done. you're over exagerating the circumstances. and yes, only a nitwit would apply flame directly to it or get it so close it melts......... must have missed that "don't rush it" thing.

edit: while I'm thinking of it.......... heat guns work good for lots of things.