upgrading my GPU for a few certain games...

pikkie-mahn-mastah

So, Fallout 4 has come out, and games that have come out in the past are freaking awesome. I'm mainly talking about Skyrim (modded), GTAV, and Fallout 3, and Arkham Knight. I currently have a GTX 750 Ti. I've been looking at cards, and I want to run a dual card set up. Because of GTAV, and other mods in my games, I wanted to upgrade from a 2gig card to a 4gig card, and I narrowed my prices and min specs to 3 cards, the r9 290, the r9 380, and the GTX 960. I want to run a dual card or more set up with these, the 960 is the only one that can only go two way sli. I know that in way of performance, it goes 960, 380, and 290. but which one should I get? or if you have a recommendation, what one do you think should get?

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

AMD's current drivers suck on FO4. Like, really bad. I'd wait a bit to see how they turn out before choosing a card.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

You can cave to NVidia doing blatant anti-competitive bullshit and get a GTX 970 (which by the way still wont max out FO4), or you can get the better card, the R9 390 and turn settings down on FO4, especially using AMD's control panel for specific settings.

TL;DR: FO4 is an NVidia Gameworks game with proprietary code that is purposely designed to run well on NVidia architecture, but gimps AMD hardware.

Also, what's your CPU? Because FO4 is currently destroying CPUs that are poor at single-threaded performance.

R9 290's all the way. Besides the recent Fallout fuckups, the R9 290 can outperform a 780Ti @4K (just found out about that yesterday), and is overall significantly better than the other two cards, it's very close to a GTX 970 in terms of performance.

If you're considering getting two of those, make sure your PSU is adequate and that you get two of those cards with good coolers on them (sapphire tri-x for example), also your case airflow is important. Check if maybe you can find R9 290X for cheap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

AMD's current drivers suck on FO4. Like, really bad. I'd wait a bit to see how they turn out before choosing a card.

Can they suck if their current drivers don't support the game at all?

But really, wait to see what the new AMD drivers do for performance.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

R9 290's all the way. Besides the recent Fallout fuckups, the R9 290 can outperform a 780Ti @4K (just found out about that yesterday), and is overall significantly better than the other two cards, it's very close to a GTX 970 in terms of performance.

If you're considering getting two of those, make sure your PSU is adequate and that you get two of those cards with good coolers on them (sapphire tri-x for example), also your case airflow is important. Check if maybe you can find R9 290X for cheap.

thanks, I'll be waiting till Black Friday / cyber Monday to buy the cards... besides, anything I get would be an improvement from my current card.

Definition of programmer: someone who can consume copious amounts of caffeine; and crap out a master piece through their fingers

A single GPU generally outperforms a SLI/CrossFire Setup. A GTX 960 SLI setup will still be limited to 2GB VRAM while a 970 will have 3.5GB VRAM.

If you decide to go with a GTX 970, go with a R9 390 as it outperforms a GTX 970 

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

You can cave to NVidia doing blatant anti-competitive bullshit and get a GTX 970 (which by the way still wont max out FO4), or you can get the better card, the R9 390 and turn settings down on FO4, especially using AMD's control panel for specific settings.

TL;DR: FO4 is an NVidia Gameworks game with proprietary code that is purposely designed to run well on NVidia architecture, but gimps AMD hardware.

Also, what's your CPU? Because FO4 is currently destroying CPUs that are poor at single-threaded performance.

I have an fx-8350 OC to 4.5

thanks, I'll be waiting till Black Friday / cyber Monday to buy the cards... besides, anything I get would be an improvement from my current card.

If you only find one 290X for a good price, you can always crossfire a 290X as your main card and a 290 as your spare one, if running a non-demanding game just game on a 290X, turn on Crossfire if necessary only

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Nvidia is more reliable, a AMD card is only more powerful if AMD delivers the drivers needed for it to run, and those drivers are missing.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

A single GPU generally outperforms a SLI/CrossFire Setup. A GTX 960 SLI setup will still be limited to 2GB VRAM while a 970 will have 3.5GB VRAM.

If you decide to go with a GTX 970, go with a R9 390 as it outperforms a GTX 970

I was going to get the 4 gig 960

out of those - R9 290 is the most powerful.

I was going to get the 4 gig 960

960 is 15% slower than a 380 and the memory bandwidth is a severe bottleneck

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

You might want to look at the graph in this article then. Because the 960 beats a 380.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/if-youre-playing-fallout-4-on-pc-youd-better-have-a-nvidia-card/

very true! I wish they would make a 960 Ti

My r9 380 4GB crossfire setup performs somewhere between gtx 980 and 980-ti depending on the game. In 3dmark firestrike and firestrike extreme I get slightly higher graphics score than a 980-ti.

You might want to look at the graph in this article then. Because the 960 beats a 380.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/11/if-youre-playing-fallout-4-on-pc-youd-better-have-a-nvidia-card/

Will you stop with this already? If you really want to, sell your cards, buy a 970. When in a week the driver is out and the 390 performs better without the gameworks features you will regret it. For god's sake your letting you're emotions get the better of you - I get that you're pissed but that's just how it is - Nvidia games will fuck AMD hardware because Nvidia can afford the bad PR whereas AMD cannot.

very true! I wish they would make a 960 Ti

960 Ti exists as an OEM card - it has a 192-bit bus and 3GB of VRAM

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Will you stop with this already? If you really want to, sell your cards, buy a 970. When in a week the driver is out and the 390 performs better without the gameworks features you will regret it. For god's sake your letting you're emotions get the better of you - I get that you're pissed but that's just how it is - Nvidia games will fuck AMD hardware because Nvidia can afford the bad PR whereas AMD cannot.

960 Ti exists as an OEM card - it has a 192-bit bus and 3GB of VRAM

Do you sit by when someone wants to buy a CX power supply? No, you know it's a mistake and you speak out. I'm not letting my emotions guide me, I'm speaking. What I'm saying is also backed by evidence, and proof from multiple testers.

Do you sit by when someone wants to buy a CX power supply? No, you know it's a mistake and you speak out. I'm not letting my emotions guide me, I'm speaking. What I'm saying is also backed by evidence, and proof from multiple testers.

The difference is - the CX PSUs won't be fixed by a driver in 5 days whereas this will most surely be. It was the same with Witcher 3's release - why you ask? Because Nvidia get first dibs on the game code.

Apparently some people have no issues with Ultra 58-60fps on a 390X.
https://community.amd.com/thread/191201

Apparently some people have no issues with Ultra 58-60fps on a 390X.

https://community.amd.com/thread/191201

There was a driver patch the afternoon of launch that @App4that (I think) noticed. Perhaps that helped.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

The difference is - the CX PSUs won't be fixed by a driver in 5 days whereas this will most surely be. It was the same with Witcher 3's release - why you ask? Because Nvidia get first dibs on the game code.

Excellent point! Witcher 3 still won't support crossfire properly. I was really hopeful with the last driver update that it would be fixed but no.

If Nvidia can beat AMD that badly, that in itself is a reason to buy Nvidia. I'm not making friends with the company selling me something, I'

m buying a product and I should go with the company willing to support it. All AMD has to do is apologize for the embarrassing performance of their product. Nvidia did with Tomb Raider.

There was a driver patch the afternoon of launch that @App4that (I think) noticed. Perhaps that helped.

15.11 is for Black Ops 3 only

I have it, no help at all. Outside of Lexington there isn't an issue, thats why some report there not being an issue. I fell for that myself. Until I tried to enter Lexington.

Excellent point! Witcher 3 still won't support crossfire properly. I was really hopeful with the last driver update that it would be fixed but no.

If Nvidia can beat AMD that badly, that in itself is a reason to buy Nvidia. I'm not making friends with the company selling me something, I'

m buying a product and I should go with the company willing to support it. All AMD has to do is apologize for the embarrassing performance of their product. Nvidia did with Tomb Raider.

Do you know why? Because they spend the rest of their time pointing a finger at anyone they can. Look at Ashes - first the devs were "intentionally crippling" them, then AMD had payed them off before it was finally revealed that Nvidia can't do A-sync - fact of the matter is - Nvidia have been known to pay developers handsomely. Remember the Crysis 2 situation where they were rumored to have payed just shy of 2 million to Crytek to fuck with Tess? Yeah.