Windows 10 Restore Disk (for Dual-Booting Ubuntu + Windows)

ZombifiedPyro

Hey guys,

I am going to dual boot Ubuntu since I have used a live session a couple of times. I've been following installation instructions from a couple different guides, and of course the first step is always backup your data.

Well, I have not created a restore disk for this PC yet, and not having the windows 10 installation media, and no ****ing clue where they put the licence key on my laptop, so I figured I would ask you guys your favorite way to setup a restore disk. I have a external hard drive that would be great for this, but what program built-in or downloaded should I use?

All suggestions are appreciated,

~ZombifiedPyro

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Use the one off the Microsoft website. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then use Free ISO Burner. http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Ah fancy they host their own legitimate downloads. cool.

question 2: will the install ask for I product key? I would think yes, so how do I find my product key? They always used to be on a sticker on the bottom of laptops.

Athlon X4 760K | MSI A88X-G43 | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz | MSI R7 260X 2GB | Corsair 300R | Corsair CX430 | 640GB HDD | Windows 7 64-bit

HP W2071d 20" 900p TN | Stock Dell K/B | Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 + SteelSeries Qck Portal 2 Ed. | Grado SR80i + cheap 2.0 speakers

Ah fancy they host their own legitimate downloads. cool.

question 2: will the install ask for I product key? I would think yes, so how do I find my product key? They always used to be on a sticker on the bottom of laptops.

Use ProduKey. It will pull the product key from the BIOS, where Microsoft puts it now. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Use ProduKey. It will pull the product key from the BIOS, where Microsoft puts it now. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Oh man they got all kinds of fancy stuff. Thank you, sir. I won't actually be needing the product key then, but I will bookmark this software for the future.

Alright, last I question I hope: does the windows media creation tool need to be setup prior to mucking with my laptop? or can I download a fresh .iso straight from the program?

Oh man they got all kinds of fancy stuff. Thank you, sir. I won't actually be needing the product key then, but I will bookmark this software for the future.

Alright, last I question I hope: does the windows media creation tool need to be setup prior to mucking with my laptop? or can I download a fresh .iso straight from the program?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. When you run the tool, it will ask you what edition of Windows 10 you want, and it will then create the ISO, which you can then burn to a disk.

I'm not sure I fully understand your question. When you run the tool, it will ask you what edition of Windows 10 you want, and it will then create the ISO, which you can then burn to a disk.

I think that answered it. I do not need to backup or create a restore disk before possibly screwing up my windows install. As I can get the ISO for a fresh install later.

Maybe this clarifies: Does the media creation tool create a restore disk from a currently installed OS, or do you download an ISO straight from the program?

I think that answered it. I do not need to backup or create a restore disk before possibly screwing up my windows install. As I can get the ISO for a fresh install later.

Maybe this clarifies: Does the media creation tool create a restore disk from a currently installed OS, or do you download an ISO straight from the program?

Straight from the program.