PfSense Wifi Usb

sparkfox
Hi there!

I am currently working on making my own router with PfSense and I want to have WiFi in it but I don't want to go buy a WiFi pci card. Does PfSense support usb cards?

Thanks

PFSense has horrible WiFi support, I recommend just buying an AccessPoint.

I would prefer to have it all built into one system.

An AP would give you more flexibility in terms of where you could put it, its a way better option than moving a big computer everywhere.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Yea but once I install the pc it is just going to sit. I would rather use PfSense because it has cool features. The reason behind putting a wifi card on top of 2 other NICs is because I have mobile devices that are generally connected very close to it and why spend money on something that isn't going to be used to its full potential hence why I would rather use something that I already have.

Hi there!

I am currently working on making my own router with PfSense and I want to have WiFi in it but I don't want to go buy a WiFi pci card. Does PfSense support usb cards?

Thanks

Short answer is Yes. 

I run pfSense version 2 and have used Wifi USB adapters with it in the past. It will depend on the adapter though as not all Wifi implementations will allow it to run in access point mode. 

You will also find that performance probably won't be as good as a separate wifi access point or a proper wifi PCI(e) Card as the USB adapters aren't really designed to support multiple connections.

Current Rig (Ongoing Build)

Spec:- 4770K | GTX 780 | 32Gb 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro | CaseLabs TH10 | 2 x 840 Pro RAID 0 | 3 x 3Tb WD Red RAID 5 | Maximus VI Formula | LSI MegaRAID 9271

Cooling (Ongoing Build) :- EK CSQ Clean | EK FC Titan | 3 x BlackIce SR-1 480mm | NB eLoop Fans | Aquaero 5 XT | Dual D5 | Aqualis XT Res

Yea but once I install the pc it is just going to sit. I would rather use PfSense because it has cool features. The reason behind putting a wifi card on top of 2 other NICs is because I have mobile devices that are generally connected very close to it and why spend money on something that isn't going to be used to its full potential hence why I would rather use something that I already have.

What cool features do you want and how come you don't want a PCI(e) card?

I've said it countless times before on this forum, pfsense is not good for home usage (and usually not enterprise either). In 99% of all cases, you are better of by getting a simple consumer grade router. I still don't get the whole "pfsense is so amazing and awesome" craze that's going around in this forum.

Anyway about your question, it depends on which USB NIC you get. Some might work, and some might not. I suggest you Google the USB NICs you are thinking of buying to see if they work with pfsense.

If im not mistaken Realtek's 8187 chipset should work you can get many adapters based on it on ebay for ~15$.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)