GTX 970 vs R9 390

So Im thinking of building this gaming pc for 1080p gaming: 

Motherboard: Asrock H97 Anniversary ATX 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz 

RAM: 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance pro

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4GB VRAM ( more like 3.5 haha )

HDD: 1TB 

SSD: 60GB (just cuz i dont really care about loading times and i can always put more ssd if i need it)

PSU: Corsair CX600W ( Or EVGA Supernova GS 550w)

Case: Still havent decided on the case, but it doesnt matter  :D

So I was planning on getting the GTX 970 but i want the pc to be futureproof and be able to run all games at high settings and get 60fps, and my idea was later on to add another gtx 970 and make it 2way sli gtx 970, but the problem with that is VRAM stll will stay 4gb(3.5) .. and if i get a r9 390 ill have 8 gigs of vram ..! So my questions are this:

1. Does the gpu r9 390 support crossfire / SLI .. meaning will i be able to add another r9 390 in the future to make it sli ??

2. In your opinion, do you think games will want a lot more VRAM in the future and the 3.5 of the gtx 970 wont be able to get 60 fps on high settings?

3. In general... Which gpu do you think is better for 1080p gaming and "futureproof gaming" - GTX 970 vs R9 390 ? 

4. Do you think the idea of getting a gtx 970 now and later on upgrading to 2way sli gtx 970 is a good idea in order to be able to run all games at decend(high settings) and get 60 fps in the next 1 or 2 years? And do you think the VRAM issue will be a problem?

All answers, ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

I have a 290 and 390 in crossfire, using a 750w power supply. The 390 alone plays Witcher 3 with ultra settings.

Get the 390.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

If you're gonna do future dual-GPU go 390 (and a better PSU :P)

Nice to see u again Dan :D .. Thanks for another answer! So the r9 390 does support crossfire / sli ? also how much wats psu do u think i should get for dual gpu sli ?

So Im thinking of building this gaming pc for 1080p gaming: 

Motherboard: Asrock H97 Anniversary ATX 

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz 

RAM: 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengeance pro

GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4GB VRAM ( more like 3.5 haha )

HDD: 1TB 

SSD: 60GB (just cuz i dont really care about loading times and i can always put more ssd if i need it)

PSU: Corsair CX600W ( Or EVGA Supernova GS 550w)

Case: Still havent decided on the case, but it doesnt matter  :D

So I was planning on getting the GTX 970 but i want the pc to be futureproof and be able to run all games at high settings and get 60fps, and my idea was later on to add another gtx 970 and make it 2way sli gtx 970, but the problem with that is VRAM stll will stay 4gb(3.5) .. and if i get a r9 390 ill have 8 gigs of vram ..! So my questions are this:

1. Does the gpu r9 390 support crossfire / SLI .. meaning will i be able to add another r9 390 in the future to make it sli ??

2. In your opinion, do you think games will want a lot more VRAM in the future and the 3.5 of the gtx 970 wont be able to get 60 fps on high settings?

3. In general... Which gpu do you think is better for 1080p gaming and "futureproof gaming" - GTX 970 vs R9 390 ? 

4. Do you think the idea of getting a gtx 970 now and later on upgrading to 2way sli gtx 970 is a good idea in order to be able to run all games at decend(high settings) and get 60 fps in the next 1 or 2 years? And do you think the VRAM issue will be a problem?

All answers, ideas and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

1. Yes

2.Yeah probably, I'm pretty sure BO3 attempts to use all 8GB VRAM on 390 AFAIK

4.I don't think it's the best idea, and I think the VRAM issue will affect performance eventually

Nice to see u again Dan :D .. Thanks for another answer! So the r9 390 does support crossfire / sli ? also how much wats psu do u think i should get for dual gpu sli ?

R9 390 supports Crossfire. If you're going for Crossfire, go for at least a 750 watt PSU (I'd highly recommend 850 watts for some more headroom :)).

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1) it supports crossfire

2) if youre playing (or plan to play) at 1440p or 4k then yes

3) 390 because more power and more vram

4) you will probably want to upgrade to 1440p or 4k in the next few years so it would be better to get 390s

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Save up another month or two and get a 390x :3 its worth the wait

Nein, great GPU but not the bang for the buck the 390 is.

Yes, it supports CF.

I would get an 850W EVGA G2 power supply.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

1) it supports crossfire

2) if youre playing (or plan to play) at 1440p or 4k then yes

3) 390 because more power and more vram

4) you will probably want to upgrade to 1440p or 4k in the next few years so it would be better to get 390

Im gonna be playing on 1080p and I will not upgrade to 1440p or 4k in the next few years for sure! So only 1080p! So what do u think now when u know that im talking about only 1080p?

Im gonna be playing on 1080p and I will not upgrade to 1440p or 4k in the next few years for sure! So only 1080p! So what do u think now when u know that im talking about only 1080p?

well I personally like the 970 better because of lower temps, power consumption, more overclocking, and I use shadowplay a lot, which is awesome

but if you just want performance per dollar then the 390 is better

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Don't crossfire then. A single 390 destroys games at 1080p so there isn't a need for two.

well I personally like the 970 better because of lower temps, power consumption, more overclocking, and I use shadowplay a lot, which is awesome

but if you just want performance per dollar then the 390 is better

That is true for the 290, not the 390.

Don't crossfire then. A single 390 destroys games at 1080p so there isn't a need for two.

Yes but Im talking about in 1 or 2 years! :D

That is true for the 290, not the 390.

the 390 still runs hotter and uses more power than the 970

go look at reviews and inform yourself

and I have yet to see a 390 reach 1400MHz on air, while pretty much 99% of 970s can do 1400MHz easily

Spoiler

Yes but Im talking about in 1 or 2 years! :D

Honestly crossfire is a pain in the butt. You get ridiculously high benchmarks for bragging rights but not much else. Use the 390 till it can't keep up and replace it with a better card, or maybe they improve crossfire with Crimson.

the 390 still runs hotter and uses more power than the 970

go look at reviews and inform yourself

and I have yet to see a 390 reach 1400MHz on air, while pretty much 99% of 970s can do 1400MHz easily

I own a Nitro 390 and a wattage meter. So your argument is invalid :lol: . I also run at 1100MHz on the base voltage at 70c, and don't have the need for any more power so haven't even tried yet.

I'd go with the 390, obviously because of the memory. the 970 is slightly higher in performance, though.

Please notice me senpie

Xeon x3430 - GTX 660SC - Core 1000 - CX430 - DQ57TM - 4gb DDR3

I'd go with the 390, obviously because of the memory. the 970 is slightly higher in performance, though.

Really?

I own a Nitro 390 and a wattage meter. So your argument is invalid :lol: . I also run at 1100MHz on the base voltage at 70c, and don't have the need for any more power so haven't even tried yet.

well you must not know how to use a wattage meter then...

Sapphire-Nitro-380-390-Charts-Power-Cons

power.png

Sapphire-R9-390-Nitro-Power-Consumption.

Power_01.png

power1.jpg

Spoiler

Really?

I just used the information from JayzTwoCents, didn't really take much more research for it. I've been saving for a while to getthe R9 390.

Please notice me senpie

Xeon x3430 - GTX 660SC - Core 1000 - CX430 - DQ57TM - 4gb DDR3

well you must not know how to use a wattage meter then...

345w at full load with the system in my profile, a 290 at idle, and 10 case fans. But googling rather than doing your own research and working off confirmation bias is easier. I'll give you that.