Which 970 is better?

superjuddy
Go to solution Solved by ThinkWithPortals,

I have no problem with noise, my fans sound like a jet engine in my current build because I set them to 100 whilst gaming I also put an actual fan on the top of my case face down to put air in since I dont have any fans for top intake yet. It looks like the strix 390 is better than the msi this time, any input?

I can vouch for the MSI GPU, I have it and love it. I'd pick it over the ASUS, their AMD cards can have kind of sub-par coolers.

I have been looking to get a 970 in my build for christmas, and the MSI 970 is cheaper than the strix and the clock is higher (on newegg)

I'm wondering about if I should get the msi or strix, personally I love the way the strix looks, a lot. I like the way the MSI 970 looks but I really like the way the ASUS Strix looks, it's not all about the looks, so can anyone convince me to spend my money on the msi instead of the Strix?

Thanks

Out of those, the MSI is better, but the R9 390 is better than both.

@superjuddy follow your topics please.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I have been looking to get a 970 in my build for christmas, and the MSI 970 is cheaper than the strix and the clock is higher (on newegg)

I'm wondering about if I should get the msi or strix, personally I love the way the strix looks, a lot. I like the way the MSI 970 looks but I really like the way the ASUS Strix looks, it's not all about the looks, so can anyone convince me to spend my money on the msi instead of the Strix?

Thanks

I love my MSI 970 as it is quiet and had any issues

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

a higher clock speed does not matter at all because you can always overclock them more, so clock speed means nothing

just pick one you can afford and fits your build style/colour scheme

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Is the 390 as adequately cooled as either of the cards? if it is i'll think about that, but i'll be overclocking so if its as hot as most amd cards i'll just switch teams for this generation.

Is the 390 as adequately cooled as either of the cards? if it is i'll think about that, but i'll be overclocking so if its as hot as most amd cards i'll just switch teams for this generation.

From my experience, it only runs a little hotter than an NVIDIA GPU, and if you find it's too hot you can set a custom fan profile at the expense of noise.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

Get the 390 Nitro, it is cooled to perfection and is amazing. I'm getting the Nitro in a week.

From my experience, it only runs a little hotter than an NVIDIA GPU, and if you find it's too hot you can set a custom fan profile at the expense of noise.

I have no problem with noise, my fans sound like a jet engine in my current build because I set them to 100 whilst gaming I also put an actual fan on the top of my case face down to put air in since I dont have any fans for top intake yet. It looks like the strix 390 is better than the msi this time, any input?

I can vouch for the MSI GPU, I have it and love it. I'd pick it over the ASUS, their AMD cards can have kind of sub-par coolers.