Is this possible with the chomebook pixel?

Hi all, been a while since I've used the ol' forums.

This is going to be a bit of a thoughtsplosion where I describe the problems I'm having choosing my new laptop. 

Basically I'm in the market for a laptop which has the same build quality as a macbook or the surface book but I want to run it purely on Linux. I'm also not willing to dish out the cash for the new surface book!

I am VERY tempted by the chomebook pixel 2013 model. It looks magnificent. Only problem is STORAGE. Seriously a £1000 + laptop with 64gb max capacity! No good for Linux! Puts the "rage" in "storage". 

I have a few ideas to try and add my own decent amount of storage to the model. 

1. Add a huge SD card - this might be too slow for practical use. (If not could anyone recommend a decent sized sd card that isn't painfully slow)

2. Replace that useless LTE radio with an mSATA ssd. - Apparently this wont work because its USB or something? The issue is so poorly documented it's impossible to know! 

I've also been looking into the Pixel 2015 but there are NO teardown materials at all of it on the web! Maybe I could run Linux from its USB C connector, that's supposed to be fast or whatever. 

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong. I really want to be able to buy this thing! Also If anyone has other suggestions for a laptop that would suit my criteria please fire away!

Thanks for your time.

Rossyboy.

Pretty sure linux 32 can run on just about any storage as long as the drive is in the right format.  Ya, you can run linux off a thumb drive, or any outside storage too.

I know I can install linux wherever I like. I'm just a little worried about not having enough space to actually do any work on the OS once I've got it. (No space for programs etc).

You could probably get a daisy chain usb hub for like 11 bucks, and run an external drive for storage space.  

Yeah that would be pretty cool except I might as well have a desktop if I'm gonna lug around a hard drive everywhere I go! Also thats gonna be slowwww. 

I think I should give up on this dream and just get a dell xps 13 developer edition :(

You could just get an used mobile workstation like I did.  I got an i5 workstation for like 400, and they have ones for 150-500 depending on your needs.  xD 

Haha I love that idea, but I really need a laptop! I think it's a bit of a crime that the pixel doesn't have more storage. I understand that it's a web OS but imagine all the possibilities if it just had a few more gigs. :'(

I have one, but with an i5-3360m+7570m. They are nice.

Sounds like a really interesting option. Are there any with metal construction?

HP elitebooks are, but the others are plastic. HP's workstations are better than Dells.

Okay great. Im tempted to save for the panasonic toughbook 54. They're so cool :)))

• 1 month later...

Both are sturdy.  HP Elitebook or Panasonic Toughbook would suit your needs.

I just bought an Elitebook 8460w and I absolutely love it! Lots of mods coming soon. Thanks for your help!