Hi all,

I had a question on how best to achieve my desired fan configuration on my upcoming PC build.

I plan on using:

Case: Enthoo Luxe 

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Deluxe

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX

GPUs: 2 x EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid (120mm radiator for each)

Fans:

- Front intake: Two Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans (one on each of the 120mm GPU rads)
- Bottom intake: Two Noctua 
Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans

- Top exhaust: Two Noctua NF-F12 PWM fans (for the 240mm Corsair rad)

- Rear exhaust: One Noctua NF-A14 fan PWM

I would like to have the rpm on all fans controllable using software (except the ones on the GPU rads, as their fan connectors don't go to the motherboard).

The PWM hub on the back of the Enthoo Luxe only has 3 pin fan headers. But I was under the impression that 4 pins are required for PWM?

Thanks.

The hub is PWM, it will regulate all the fans at once, rather than being PWM for individual fans. So you could connect 3 pin fans and they'd still effectively be running PWM. You don't need to spend more on PWM for the fans that will be connected to the hub. 

I have a very similar setup to you, and the 4 noctuas on my hybrids I have attached to a fan controller. I find it the most convenient way. The rest of the case fans are mobo controlled.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

The hub is PWM, it will regulate all the fans at once, rather than being PWM for individual fans. So you could connect 3 pin fans and they'd still effectively be running PWM. You don't need to spend more on PWM for the fans that will be connected to the hub. 

I see. But all the fans that I'm interested in buying are 4 pin fans (they cost the same as 3 pin fans where I'm buying). Can I connect 4 pin fans into 3 pin headers?

Thanks for the info.

I see. But all the fans that I'm interested in buying are 4 pin fans (they cost the same as 3 pin fans where I'm buying). Can I connect 4 pin fans into 3 pin headers?

Thanks for the info.

Yep, they'll just operate as 3 pin fans (though will be PWM on the hub). 3 pin fans and 4 pin headers and vice versa are compatible. 

I have a very similar setup to you, and the 4 noctuas on my hybrids I have attached to a fan controller. I find it the most convenient way. The rest of the case fans are mobo controlled.

Hmm, that's interesting. I thought the cable going from the fan on the GPU radiator goes into the fan connector on the 980 Ti itself. Also, you seem to be running push-pull on the GPU rads. If so, do you only have 2 of the 4 fans connected to the PWM hub?

Hmm, that's interesting. I thought the cable going from the fan on the GPU radiator goes into the fan connector on the 980 Ti itself. Also, you seem to be running push-pull on the GPU rads. If so, do you only have 2 of the 4 fans connected to the PWM hub?

I ditched the original fans they came with and have neatly tucked what was left of the fan cable that came out of the GPUs. The 4 fans are now connected to a Lamptron FC5-V3 fan controller at the top. 

Yep, they'll just operate as 3 pin fans (though will be PWM on the hub). 3 pin fans and 4 pin headers and vice versa are compatible. 

That's great. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the information.

So I'll connect the PWM hub to a single PWM controllable header (call it 'HDR_A') on my motherboard and then any fans connected to the hub can all be rpm controlled using the one header ('HDR_A') on the motherboard. Correct?

That's great. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the information.

So I'll connect the PWM hub to a single PWM controllable header (call it 'HDR_A') on my motherboard and then any fans connected to the hub can all be rpm controlled using the one header ('HDR_A') on the motherboard. Correct?

Yep, that's how it should work.

I ditched the original fans they came with and have neatly tucked what was left of the fan cable that came out of the GPUs. The 4 fans are now connected to a Lamptron FC5-V3 fan controller at the top. 

Hmm, that's interesting. I had no idea you could just power the fans separately, without using the GPU fan connector. I might look into that. Did you end up having to use fan extension cables to reach the fan hub?

Thanks.

Yep, that's how it should work.

Awesome. Thanks for your help :)

Hmm, that's interesting. I had no idea you could just power the fans separately, without using the GPU fan connector. I might look into that. Did you end up having to use fan extension cables to reach the fan hub?

Thanks.

The GPU fan connector is only there to be convenient because in some old Hybrid design cards you had to plug the fan to the motherboard or your fan controller, and it looked messy like that. And I didn't need to use extensions, but I did it anyway in order to make cable management a bit tidier.

The GPU fan connector is only there to be convenient because in some old Hybrid design cards you had to plug the fan to the motherboard or your fan controller, and it looked messy like that. And I didn't need to use extensions, but I did it anyway in order to make cable management a bit tidier.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for your prompt replies. Hope you have a good week :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812423165&cm_re=pwm_molex_splitter-_-12-423-165-_-Product

Power straight from the PSU, splits into 3 fans.  4 pin for the fan header to adjust RPMs via whatever you choose.  I've been suggested this because I was worried about splitting fans and the mobo supplying enough power to the headers, to avoid all the worries and keep my mobo healthy, this seems the best way.  NOTE: Haven't used them myself, they'll be in with the H110i.  :) Guy said they were amazing though.

EDIT: Ordered some, have been using them and they're TREMENDOUS.  They work perfectly.  :) Will NEVER build another PC without them

i7 6700k // H110i GTX, 4xNoctua 140mm Industrial 3k // Asus Z170 Pro Gaming // 8GB 2400mhz // MSI GTX 970 // Enthoo Pro M