Rapid Mode - Samsung 950 Pro

Go to solution Solved by Theo,

You cant use rapid mode on cause its not supported in windows10 yet. Version 4.4 can make it work but i havent tried it. 

Do some googling just to make sure

Built and installed design workstations in marketing department last week.  OS and Adobe Creative Cloud applications are installed on the new Samsung 950 Pro (256Gb).  Boot times are great, application launch is instantanious and working with gigabit+ PSD files never shows signs of waiting.  Designers can't stop raving about the speeds.  Two questions:

Samsung says they support using Rapid Mode with Win10 but inside the Magican Application (v4.8), I am unable to turn on the feature.  Any suggestions?

Over Provisioning - Is it needed and if so what percentage should be applied?

Systems/Builds:  Asus X-99 A, Intel i7-5820k, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz, Samsung 950 Pro 256Gb, WD 2TB Black, NVIDIA Quadro K2000, Cooler Master Hyper 212, SeaSonic SS-400FL2 400W 80 Plus Platinum, Fractial Design R5 case, OS Windows 10 - overclocked both systems to 4.2 using Asus OC application.

dont use any of the samsung software, you dont need it at all

and IMO rapid ids just dumb

if you need 7GBps speeds just use a ramdisk

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

dont use any of the samsung software, you dont need it at all

and IMO rapid ids just dumb

if you need 7GBps speeds just use a ramdisk

Thanks for the quick reply Enderman - Why do you say the rapid is dumb?  Seems like a pretty big deal to me.  Am I missing something? 

Thanks for the quick reply Enderman - Why do you say the rapid is dumb?  Seems like a pretty big deal to me.  Am I missing something? 

all of the "optimizations" are just software tweaks which can go wrong, as you can see from all the negative reviews for every samsung SSD (almost all are because of the software)

RAPID mode just uses your ram as cache, which gives you incorrect benchmarks speeds, puts your data at risk of loss when it gets loaded to the ram cache, and you dont get to control what data goes there or not

so if you really have a bunch of spare ram you should be using proper ramdisk software and you chose what files get stored there, not the samsung software

I just dont use the software at all because I dont need 7000MBps speeds from my ram, if I did I would use a ramdisk

also software isn't perfect, so if you let the magician software "tweak" your OS to boot faster there is a chance that something can seriously screw up in case of a power outage or something unexpected

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You cant use rapid mode on cause its not supported in windows10 yet. Version 4.4 can make it work but i havent tried it. 

Do some googling just to make sure

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883