PC Randomly Shuts Down and then Reboots

jmilroy94

Hey guys,

So I need some help. My computer has started turning off under seemingly not that heavy workloads and I'm unsure why. I think it may be overheating but I really don't know how to tell. Here's the current reading for my PC, about ten minutes after it turned off:

I feel like the CPU temperature is way too high. My PC build is in my signature. Please help!

post-256873-0-37481400-1446897965_thumb.

I'd suspect your cpu cooler is gunked up with dust, and various other nasties, without knowing what you're using I'd suspect a stock intel cooler, which is a 75W TDP part, not optimal at the best of times, even worse when not running at peak efficiency. I'd recommend a 212 evo replacement if you can fit it. if you can't or don't want to upgrade, I'd recomend replacing the thermal paste, and cleaning out the heat sink while it's off.

Anything above 80 degrees isn't good. anything above 90 degrees would have me reaching for the power button.

Hey guys,

So I need some help. My computer has started turning off under seemingly not that heavy workloads and I'm unsure why. I think it may be overheating but I really don't know how to tell. Here's the current reading for my PC, about ten minutes after it turned off:

I feel like the CPU temperature is way too high. My PC build is in my signature. Please help!

YEAH!!! Are you running stock cooler?

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

Is the Speedfan software I used accurate?

And would this suffice? 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23&products_id=22829

Speedfan can give interesting results at times, but if it's returning a result of 128 degrees I'd be worried, especially if you're experiencing slow downs, and shuddering right before the shutdown (normal experiences for going over temp) The 212 from memory is a 125W part, which should drop your temps significantly over the stock intel part if your case can support the extra headroom (check the spec sheets for your case, and the 212 evo) If it can't support the headroom, let the forum know as there are low profile alternitives, although nothing quite as cheap.

Sure am

I had the same problem with my stock cooler(AMD FX6300) I bought my temps down by 2/3rds with the coolermaster hyper212 evo cooler!

If you want a reply PLEASE QUOTE ME!

WE NEED CUSTOM MEMBER TITLES AGAIN!!!!!

Member title post link!

Speedfan can give interesting results at times, but if it's returning a result of 128 degrees I'd be worried, especially if you're experiencing slow downs, and shuddering right before the shutdown (normal experiences for going over temp) The 212 from memory is a 125W part, which should drop your temps significantly over the stock intel part if your case can support the extra headroom (check the spec sheets for your case, and the 212 evo) If it can't support the headroom, let the forum know as there are low profile alternitives, although nothing quite as cheap.

Interestingly, no stuttering or slow downs before it shut down. This has me a little worried

Dont trust speedfan CPU temp reading. Install MSI AB and check again 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Interestingly, no stuttering or slow downs before it shut down. This has me a little worried

No warning usually indicates a power issue, although with a 750W PSU on your build looks a little overkill. That speedfan readout has me more worried, and I'd recomend loading it into bios, and monitoring it for awhile to keep an eye on temps. It should be running at idle, and anything more than 10-15 degrees above ambient should indicate your cooler isn't working properly. The bios should be giving you almost a direct temp readout for your cpu.