Very Slow Write Speeds on Sandisk Extreme Pro

scottyseng

So I have a Sandisk 240 GB Extreme Pro in my NAS, which runs Windows Server 2012 R2.

When I first got the drive, it ran 550 Seq Read and 500 Seq Write.

So about four months later (I built my NAS in July), I just randomly decided to compared the NAS SSD to the one in my main PC (480GB Sandisk Extreme 2).

My Sandisk Extreme 2 is about two years old, and I just clean installed Windows on it several weeks ago. The NAS is Windows Server 2012 R2 cleaned installed since August.

Nothing is really using the C drive in the NAS because all of my hard drives for the NAS are on the LSI MegaRAID card. Task Manager reports nothing is using a lot of the C drive speed either.

I installed the Sandisk toolkit and it reports everything as okay. Both drives were TRIMed manually before the benchmarks. Both drives are on the latest firmware.

Well, the Sandisk Extreme Pro is getting really low write speeds in Crystal Mark:

PhHF6Yf.jpg

Compared to my Sandisk Extreme 2 in my main PC:

ACq1P8W.jpg

I thought maybe it was the benchmark, so I tried AS SSD, and it reports the same for my Extreme Pro:

0Ss8qdX.png

And compared to my main PC:

lLq7RAi.png

I'm just really bothered by the slow write speed on the Extreme Pro. Any ideas?

Almost looks like a faulty unit to me, 2 years isn't a long time for the Extreme though, perhaps a faulty unit? Not sure I'd try contact the retailer as it should still be under warranty.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

Almost looks like a faulty unit to me, 2 years isn't a long time for the Extreme though, perhaps a faulty unit? Not sure I'd try contact the retailer as it should still be under warranty.

It's only four months old. The 2 year old SSD is the Extreme 2 that's in my main PC.

Hmm, maybe I'll bug Sandisk Support about it.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my Corsair LS Force 60GB, and its less than a year old.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It's only four months old. The 2 year old SSD is the Extreme 2 that's in my main PC.

Hmm, maybe I'll bug Sandisk Support about it.

Ah sorry got confused, yeah in that case I'd definitely try and get it replaced.

I'm experiencing the same problem with my Corsair LS Force 60GB, and its less than a year old.

Sorry to hear that, maybe try seeing if there's a firmware update for it?

Sorry to hear that, maybe try seeing if there's a firmware update for it?

The update actually made the SSD worse. I've seen some people saying that the controller used could be writing the "blank" data in benchmarks faster due to the way it works (well the controller in Corsair LS Force SSD anyway), so maybe your SSD is the same.

PMSL

Edit:  Maybe you should try benchmarking the Extreme Pro in your main PC.

Get a Seagate.  :P

Mine after 2 years: http://i.imgur.com/whMrITd.png

I keep editing this post LOL

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

-snip-

I'll be honest, I had no idea Seagate even made SSDs. That's pretty impressive though.

Edit:  Maybe you should try benchmarking the Extreme Pro in your main PC.

Get a Seagate.  :P

Mine after 2 years: http://i.imgur.com/whMrITd.png

I keep editing this post LOL

Holy... never knew Seagate made SSDs lol?

Not sure how I would rate them, but from personal experience and data statistics their hard drives have epic failure rate, especially the cheaper ones (barracuda).

In my opinion Hitachi or WD is the way to go for HDDs and Samsung or Intel for SSDs. 

Holy... never knew Seagate made SSDs lol?

Not sure how I would rate them, but from personal experience and data statistics their hard drives have epic failure rate, especially the cheaper ones (barracuda).

In my opinion Hitachi or WD is the way to go for HDDs and Samsung or Intel for SSDs. 

It's okay, my HDD is a WD.  B)

|| Case: Corsair Graphite 230T || CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K || CPU Cooler: Corsair A50 || Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 760 2GB WINDFORCE 3X || Motherboard: ASUS Z87-PRO ||

|| RAM: ADATA XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) || Storage: Seagate 600 SSD 240GB, WD Black 1TB || PSU: XFX Pro 650W Core Edition || OS: Windows 10 Pro || What's an optical drive? ||

@iiNNeX @stupidhuman

Well, took the SSD out of the NAS and put it on my PC. It runs normal speed:

8KUSCrX.png

4JTbiwv.png

So the SSD itself isn't faulty. I did put it back into the NAS, and it still runs at the really slow write speed. I guess I should poke around and see why the SSD is being so limited on the NAS.

That is indeed quite odd, I know my way around 2008 R2 but never touched 2012, so can't give you much advice there mate. Let us know when you find out what it is!

That is indeed quite odd, I know my way around 2008 R2 but never touched 2012, so can't give you much advice there mate. Let us know when you find out what it is!

Well, I put my Extreme 2 into the NAS. It gets full speed. I tried swapping ports and SATA cables. The Extreme Pro still gets slow write speeds. I know it has to be software related at least.

What bothers me though is that if I write something to the extreme pro drive on the NAS, the write speed is a full 500MB/s and not the crippled 96ish MB/s the benchmarks are saying. I wonder if Windows Server is limiting the benchmarks on the local disk for some reason.

Well, I put my Extreme 2 into the NAS. It gets full speed. I tried swapping ports and SATA cables. The Extreme Pro still gets slow write speeds. I know it has to be software related at least.

What bothers me though is that if I write something to the extreme pro drive on the NAS, the write speed is a full 500MB/s and not the crippled 96ish MB/s the benchmarks are saying. I wonder if Windows Server is limiting the benchmarks on the local disk for some reason.

Oh I see, so what you are saying is these slow speeds only seem to show up during benchmarks, but in reality it goes just as fast if you write a file on it?

Oh I see, so what you are saying is these slow speeds only seem to show up during benchmarks, but in reality it goes just as fast if you write a file on it?

Maybe Crystal Disk Mark has issues with NAS then.

PMSL

Yeah, that's what bothers me. Maybe there's some kind of Windows Server safety limit (As the Extreme Pro is the main drive) for benchmarks. I'm not sure. I'll keep poking around and see if I figure it out though.

@

The Extreme 2 (from my main PC) on the NAS runs as full speed on Crystal mark / AS SSD. I just don't get why the Extreme Pro (primary drive) is limited on benchmarks. When I first installed Windows Server, it was running full speed. Well, I haven't noticed any issues, so I guess I'll just leave it be.

Yeah, that's what bothers me. Maybe there's some kind of Windows Server safety limit (As the Extreme Pro is the main drive) for benchmarks. I'm not sure. I'll keep poking around and see if I figure it out though.

@

The Extreme 2 (from my main PC) on the NAS runs as full speed on Crystal mark / AS SSD. I just don't get why the Extreme Pro (primary drive) is limited on benchmarks. When I first installed Windows Server, it was running full speed. Well, I haven't noticed any issues, so I guess I'll just leave it be.

Benchmarks aren't always accurate-my 2x 250GB IDE HDD in Raid 0 frequently sustain around 120MB/sec when transferring files, and yet when I benchmark them with C.D.M they barely go over 80MB/sec.

PMSL