Correct way to power a graphic card

I am a first time builder and I would like to make sure I am doing things right.

I have a brand new EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ graphic card and an EVGA Gold Standard 1050w power supply. 

The gpu has an 8pins port and a 6pins port. The power supplies comes with 4 PCI-E cables with an 8pins connector and attach to it another 6+2 pins connector.

Do I have to use two PCI-e cables, one for the 8pins port and another cable for the 6pins port. Or is one cable enough to power the 8 and 6 pins port??

The manual of both products wasn't clear enough to me so that is why I am asking the question. The reason of why one cable is enough or why two cables are necessary would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all.

I am a first time builder and I would like to make sure I am doing things right.

I have a brand new EVGA GTX 970 FTW+ graphic card and an EVGA Gold Standard 1050w power supply. 

The gpu has an 8pins port and a 6pins port. The power supplies comes with 4 PCI-E cables with an 8pins connector and attach to it another 6+2 pins connector.

Do I have to use two PCI-e cables, one for the 8pins port and another cable for the 6pins port. Or is one cable enough to power the 8 and 6 pins port??

The manual of both products wasn't clear enough to me so that is why I am asking the question. The reason of why one cable is enough or why two cables are necessary would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all.

You can use the 8 pin and 6 pin that come off the same cable at the base no problem :)

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

You have to plug in one 8 pin and one 6 pin.  A 6+2 connector will work for either of these (they're made for flexibility, just make sure to plug the 2 in if you're using it for the 8 pin)

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

You can use the 8 pin and 6 pin that come off the same cable at the base no problem :)

This. One cable from the PSU is fine as long as you power both the 6 pin and the 8 pin.

9ZqYNNu.jpg