Windows 10 just changed how desktop links appear

590d9017e1.jpg
<1080p image of entire desktop

I received no notification of this change, either it was done by windows 10 itself, or it was done by something malicious. (I see that as highly unlikely)

Any way to change this back to normal? I preferred having a little white box on the bottom left of icons to a VERY visible green circle.

Since when was this change introduced? And is it really done by windows? I remember messing up my file associations with Win7, that made adobe open all my .lnk files (quick links). 

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

I've NEVER seen ANYTHING like that before. I don't know what to say, a green check usually shows up next to every file in OneDrive. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Mhmmmm... doesn't seem like an update thing.

post-81453-0-80591900-1446856516_thumb.p

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Right click an empty space on your desktop and click Refresh.

I've NEVER seen ANYTHING like that before. I don't know what to say, a green check usually shows up next to every file in OneDrive. 

That is correct...

So my Win 10 just decided to synch all my desktop icons with one-drive... Actually, the filetypes have changed too, they are not .lnk any more, the are .url.

EDIT: steam icons are .url, everything else is .lnk as usual, sorry.

WTF, I am going to check if they even work anymore.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Right click an empty space on your desktop and click Refresh.

And that somehow fixed it, I guess MS just wanted my desktop for some reason...

Last time I had issues with icons my SSD's writes got maxed out, my system slowed to a crawl. Atleast my OS wasn't trying to change half a billion file assosiations this time.

Why did this thing happen in the first place? I don't use onedrive, and I am pretty sure it signed it self out a while back.

EDIT: Apparently onedrive received an update 2 hours ago, odd that I didn't notice it until just 10 minutes ago.

Spoiler

And that somehow fixed it, I guess MS just wanted my desktop for some reason...

Last time I had issues with icons my SSD's writes got maxed out, my system slowed to a crawl. Atleast my OS wasn't trying to change half a billion file assosiations this time.

Why did this thing happen in the first place? I dont use onedrive, and I am pretty sure it signed it self out a while back.

It's happened on previous versions of Windows after updates. I'm not sure exactly what causes it though.

It's happened on previous versions of Windows after updates. I'm not sure exactly what causes it though.

Well, if there is anyone out there who can give me a little scare from time to time, it would be MS.

I'll need to figure out if I can see onedrive traffic somewhere, I only synch my skyrim saves, and music, though that doesn't seem to be working. 2+ GB of music and OD is using ~300MB.

Spoiler

Maybe your antivirus went through your shortcuts to scan them. The green check could mean that it didn't find anything malicious. 

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Maybe your antivirus went through your shortcuts to scan them. The green check could mean that it didn't find anything malicious. 

I instantly thought that it sounds like something an antivirus would do. 

I instantly thought that it sounds like something an antivirus would do. 

Nope, Avast would never mark the files themselves, it would almost certainly just give me a notification. It would be really strange behaviour from an AV to do that.

At least that's how I see it, the first thing I thought of was a cryptolocker, because a change like the one I observed would mean something was written to make the change. An AV wouldn't write anything to files it has processed. That at least was my initial theory.

Anyhow it's gone now, and it is late here, 3AM, I need to get to sleeping.

Spoiler

Nope, Avast would never mark the files themselves, it would almost certainly just give me a notification. It would be really strange behaviour from an AV to do that.

At least that's how I see it, the first thing I thought of was a cryptolocker, because a change like the one I observed would mean something was written to make the change. An AV wouldn't write anything to files it has processed. That at least was my initial theory.

Anyhow it's gone now, and it is late here, 3AM, I need to get to sleeping.

Heh, when i had Avast, i found it to pretty invasive, so it wouldn't surprise me at all tbh. It makes me think of what Avast does to search results, i think so anyway.. maybe thats a different AV

Heh, when i had Avast, i found it to pretty invasive, so it wouldn't surprise me at all tbh. It makes me think of what Avast does to search results, i think so anyway.. maybe thats a different AV

Avast wasn't the one that said it was selling it's customers search results, I think it was MCaffee. The only invasive thing about Avast is the popups telling me to get a VPN every now and then. And I barely notice those, I like Avast, but I haven't really tested other options all that much.

Probably the last time I put money into an AV ever again, I have found my self to not really need it.

Spoiler