Playing modern videogames on VM/Wine

WolfeLa

I have a gaming system (well it was a gaming system 2 years ago ;) ) and I really hate windows and what they are doing with privacy and such, so I am ditiching windows on all my systems. But I am very unhappy with the games available on linux and so for now my gaming system is still running windows 10.

Does anyone have first hand (not theoretical its virtualisation therefore it sucks) experience gaming either on Wine or on a Virtual Machine.

Im going to do some benchmarking soon, I just wanted to know peoples opinions first.

smh

You can turn off most all of the personal things in Windows 10. I did.

I wouldn't run games in a VM, my friends in Nebraska run Win 10 in a VM off of Ubuntu 15, and even on their beefy computers lots of games run kind of crappy.  

EDIT- I mean I saw it first hand, virtualization isn't that great.. Just use Dual Boot to boot into Win 10 AND Linux when you want to. No downsides of virtualization, and you can run all of your games!  

I used to be quite active here.

smh

I wouldn't run games in a VM, my friends in Nebraska run Win 10 in a VM off of Ubuntu 15, and even on their beefy computers lots of games run kind of crappy.  

If your cpu supports pci passthrough you can actually get quite good performance

If your cpu supports pci passthrough you can actually get quite good performance

Still not worth it, just dual boot like I mentioned. 

Still not worth it, just dual boot like I mentioned. 

Have you seen Linus's 2 vms on a single rig video ? You can game on a VM, it's just complicated, but possible

Have you seen Linus's 2 vms on a single rig video ? You can game on a VM, it's just complicated, but possible

Exactly, complicated.. It took him forever to get it up and running.. Dual Booting is sooo easy. 

Exactly, complicated.. It took him forever to get it up and running.. Dual Booting is sooo easy. 

If you are running linux as your primary, you are used to putting in work to get things the way you like it. 

OP- does your cpu support vt-d? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It does (its an i5 4960K)

And yeah, im not doing this because I want an easy way out (then i would just stick with windows) but because I love making things work the way I want them.

Then go for it, if it does not go as planned it is only time lost.

Lord of Helium.

Take a look into GPU passthrough with KVM on linux to essenially run Windows and Linux at the same time on one PC.

My setup is giving me 98%+ gaming performance with 0 compatability issues. Many times better than any other option.
KVM is a special type of virtualisation which allows you to pass hardware handles directly to the VM.
http://vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-1-hardware.html

I am currently running 15.10  Xubuntu (downgraded to 4.1.6 kernel because 4.2+ currently breaks PCI passthrough) on an i4790K with motherboard chipset Z97 and a 7700 Radeon GPU. I have 2 screens on my CPU integrated graphics and my main screen for KVM passthrough.

I have 2 sets of keyboards/mice, and I will soon get a PCI sound card and mixer so I can have complete audio from both operating systems.

My KVM is running Windows 7 with 6/8 CPU cores/threads, 6/8G of RAM, and its own HDD.

This is a very advanced method but the results are great if you can get everything working perfectly. I have spent many hours trying to get this to work, maybe this would be an interesting video series for Linus?

Im thinking right now of a different solution that I might do a forum tutorial on if I get it working.

But I will definately look into this on the weekend, thank you <3

virtualization isn't meant for preference, just an easy way to test stuff in another operating system. it is in no way meant for gaming. and it therefore will suck.

I like Computer Stuffs. Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it in again? Automation Expert (Bots, scripts, etc)! Add me on Xbox Live: JollyPlanet449 And on Steam!: Baxtmann Wanshow.tips is a cool place too

virtualization isn't meant for preference, just an easy way to test stuff in another operating system. it is in no way meant for gaming. and it therefore will suck.

*doesn't know you can game on a Vm with little performance loss if you do it right. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

smh

EDIT- I mean I saw it first hand, virtualization isn't that great.. Just use Dual Boot to boot into Win 10 AND Linux when you want to. No downsides of virtualization, and you can run all of your games!

Unless you are on Enterprise version you cannot stop the data collection. Even then, I do not trust Microsoft.

For OP: https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough

Give this a look.

That is the biggest bull Ive heard in a long time.

Most enterprise servers work on ESXI or similar things, and that is a VM (ableit a different type of VM)

Also since when not designed for == not good for? Botching things is basically what is fun and amazing about computers imo.

Unless you are on Enterprise version you cannot stop the data collection. Even then, I do not trust Microsoft.

For OP: https://teksyndicate.com/videos/gta-v-linux-skylake-build-hardware-vm-passthrough

Give this a look.

Thank  you, this is excatly what I needed <3