Keefarce and a reminder about Digital Security

PepeSilvia

Quoting from Ars Technica:

PageFair hack for example (paigefair is an 'anti-adblock' analytics company) . There's a lot of people who have a vague understanding that the web can be a dangerous place and take the general advice: use a reputable browser, use cookie and adware plugins (eg Ghostery and Ad-block), don't respond to/open dodgy emails. More recently probs a password manager as well. So they go to a site and it says "you need to update adobe flash!". There's been a bit of coverage lately about the woeful ineptitude of flash so getting the latest security update seems like a good idea. They've got the password manager open for Fb or what ever. Bam. Done. Catastrophic security breach. Same thing for the yahoo hack a little while ago.

/rant

TL:DR - Password managers are a great idea, so is something like Avira or AVG-anti-virus for most people, along with HTTPS everywhere, privacy badger or ghostery, ad-blocking if your into that and probably something like self-destructing cookies (which i was sad to see overlooked in the recent tech-quickie on cookies).

/actual

Sources:

- http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/hacking-tool-swipes-encrypted-credentials-from-password-manager/

- http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/11/hackers-use-anti-adblocking-service-to-deliver-nasty-malware-attack/

Yeah, I can't see how anyone could have expected to be secure while opening their password vault on a compromised OS.

I had an idea a while ago to instead of keeping keepass installed, I could have a small virtual machine to house the key file, the vault and the software for its unlocking. Might actually do that now.

What country, person, location or company is named "Digital Security"?

Since you capitalised it, I mean.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I always have my master key file offline.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

What country, person, location or company is named "Digital Security"?

Since you capitalised it, I mean.

The thread title has the principal words capitalised to emphasise a conceptual whole?

Also i just type random sometimes :P