Formatting, should i go for 8.1 or 10?

Hemanse

Never tried out 8.1, still running Windows 7, but its been a while since i did a full format and reinstall, bit torn on what to go for, either try out 8.1 or 10, whenever i ask people about their Windows 10 experience it seems rather 50/50, some have no problems at all and it all runs great and some have issues upon issues, i really dont want issues right now so im leaning towards 8.1 .. or should i just take the plunge and go for Windows 10?

I guess i also do have the option of just installing Windows 8.1 and then upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 if i dont like it  :wacko:

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Never tried out 8.1, still running Windows 7, but its been a while since i did a full format and reinstall, bit torn on what to go for, either try out 8.1 or 10, whenever i ask people about their Windows 10 experience it seems rather 50/50, some have no problems at all and it all runs great and some have issues upon issues, i really dont want issues right now so im leaning towards 8.1 .. or should i just take the plunge and go for Windows 10?

I guess i also do have the option of just installing Windows 8.1 and then upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 if i dont like it  :wacko:

I was a Windows 7 fanboy pretty much since it came out, tried 8.1 when I got the option and slowly got used to the start menu.

Windows 10 is the "best of both worlds" as they say, imo.

Are there any features you want from either, because otherwise I'd stay with 7.

Not really looking for new features, just thought maybe it was time for a change now that i need to format my pc anyway :)

i have a pc where i did a clean install on 10 and it worked and is still working fine but when i upgraded my laptop from 8.1 to 10 i had really bad driver issues. 

If i were to go for Windows 10 i would do a full clean install, but can you do a clean install right away or do i really need to upgrade first before i can do that?

I was a Windows 7 fanboy pretty much since it came out, tried 8.1 when I got the option and slowly got used to the start menu.

Windows 10 is the "best of both worlds" as they say, imo.

Okay, from what i have been able to find out, you can get a old style start menu with something like classic shell tho right? But i might just go with Windows 10 for the hell of it, what im unsure of is if i opt in on Windows 10, does my key they get turned into a Windows 10 key and im unable to use it for Windows 7?

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

Are there any features you want from either, because otherwise I'd stay with 7.

Why would you stay with Windows 7 when Windows 10 is better in almost every way?

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Why would you stay with Windows 7 when Windows 10 is better in almost every way?

Is Windows 10 stable for gaming and such as a AMD user? I guess thats one of the things im worried about most of all.

Why would I upgrade to an os that has features I don't care about, and others I hate?  Dx12 is the only selling point that matters, and hopefully vulcan fixes that issue as I'd rather use it anyway.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Is Windows 10 stable for gaming and such as a AMD user? I guess thats one of the things im worried about most of all.

Do you crossfire, if so which cards, if not It should be fine on that front I think.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Do you crossfire, if so which cards, if not It should be fine on that front I think.

Nah i just run with a single 390, think im just gonna give 10 a go, if i dont like it i always have a 8.1 key i can go for instead, but seems a bit silly that you have to upgrade before you can do a clean install or am i getting that part wrong?

I've had zero problems.

Why would I upgrade to an os that has features I don't care about, and others I hate?  Dx12 is the only selling point that matters, and hopefully vulcan fixes that issue as I'd rather use it anyway.

Because it's newer and essentially the exact same thing as Windows 7...?

Привет товарищ ))))

Nah i just run with a single 390, think im just gonna give 10 a go, if i dont like it i always have a 8.1 key i can go for instead, but seems a bit silly that you have to upgrade before you can do a clean install or am i getting that part wrong?

There was a problem but it has been fixed http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/428580-amd-drivers-keep-crashing-windows-10/ so you'll be fine with the gpu anyway.

I've had zero problems.

Because it's newer and essentially the exact same thing as Windows 7...?

Uhh no it's not, but I'll let you have your opinion, if you let me have mine as we've had to many threads burn over this issue.

Uhh no it's not, but I'll let you have your opinion, if you let me have mine as we've had to many threads burn over this issue.

Just saying, something being better than something else isn't an opinion, it's fact, but okay bud.

Привет товарищ ))))

Just saying, something being better than something else isn't an opinion, it's fact, but okay bud.

You know what fine, it has forced updates, it spies on you by default, it randomly uses extra ram for "system" purposes that it doesn't tell you about, the start menu sucks and pushes ads, it's designed to give microsoft an ecosystem if I wanted to be in a dumb little buy my crap hub I'd be using Apple not windows. It pushes microsoft ads for other services and is using dx12 as a selling point due to the fact we really didn't need an upgrade, rather microsoft wanted more control over its user base. LAST but not least it doesn't have a service pack level update to fix issues with software compatibility yet.

Thanks for the feedback by the way, still got 3 questions im a bit unsure of:

1. To do a clear reinstall, will i first have to upgrade for my key to convert into a Windows 10 and then do a clear reinstall with a Windows 10 iso?

2. I made a ISO with the MediaCreationToolx64 on day one just to have one, do i need to make a new one now or is it still just the same?

3. If i hate Windows 10 after upgrading and my key is made into a Windows 10 key, will i then not be able to use it for my Windows 7 disc?

Thanks for the feedback by the way, still got 3 questions im a bit unsure of:

1. To do a clear reinstall, will i first have to upgrade for my key to convert into a Windows 10 and then do a clear reinstall with a Windows 10 iso?

2. I made a ISO with the MediaCreationToolx64 on day one just to have one, do i need to make a new one now or is it still just the same?

3. If i hate Windows 10 after upgrading and my key is made into a Windows 10 key, will i then not be able to use it for my Windows 7 disc?

Yes, you will have to upgrade from Windows 8.1 in order to get Windows 10 to activate against your hardware. After this you will be able to do a clean install as many times as you like.

As far as I know the install media hasn't changed since the OEM launch. I might be wrong on this, but you will undoubtedly have to do updates anyway, so you should be fine using that media.

You Windows 7 key won't stop working after installing Windows 10. I think that retail keys might be converted permanently after 30 days. Windows 10 actually activates against your hardware so doesn't actually touch your old licence, but if you don't like Windows 10 you should reinstall Windows 7 within 30 days to be safe.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Yes, you will have to upgrade from Windows 8.1 in order to get Windows 10 to activate against your hardware. After this you will be able to do a clean install as many times as you like.

As far as I know the install media hasn't changed since the OEM launch. I might be wrong on this, but you will undoubtedly have to do updates anyway, so you should be fine using that media.

You Windows 7 key won't stop working after installing Windows 10. I think that retail keys might be converted permanently after 30 days. Windows 10 actually activates against your hardware so doesn't actually touch your old licence, but if you don't like Windows 10 you should reinstall Windows 7 within 30 days to be safe.

Okay, thanks a lot :)