turntable pre-amp or not

Snickerzz

Do I need pre-amp to my setup to work or not. Basically what I want to do is use https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/o2-odac-combo-revb/ this but would it work? turntable RCA to 3.5mm -> input -> output headphones or do I need to get pre-amp to get it work? Right now when I listen my turntable through Panasonic stereo system the audio volume is maxed but still too low to listen.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I don't have any sort of an external pre-amp on my stereo system, and I can listen to my turntable just fine. So have you perhaps plugged it in to the wrong hole, that's not pre-amped. (Usually marked phono)

But I have never tried what'd happen if I used an RCA -> 3,5mm to an amp.

But if I'm not completely mistaken record players need pre-amping to work correctly.

@Snickerzz

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

I don't have any sort of an external pre-amp on my stereo system, and I can listen to my turntable just fine. So have you perhaps plugged it in to the wrong hole, that's not pre-amped. (Usually marked phono)

But if I'm not completely mistaken record players need pre-amping to work correctly.

@Snickerzz

A recorrrd player will need a pre amp. sometimes it built into the record player, somtimes it built into the stereo system/receiver, sometimes you need an external box

@Op, that will not work, you need a propper preamp

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

A recorrrd player will need a pre amp. sometimes it built into the record player, somtimes it built into the stereo system/receiver, sometimes you need an external box

That's pretty much what I said. Just shortened and with some extra info.

@Snickerzz

It is not plugged wrong I've plugged it right. https://my.mixtape.moe/bqwnrb.jpg here's the specs of the Panasonic. What I need to know does the O2+ODAC make the turntable sound louder if I use RCA splitter 3.5m then plug it into input in O2+ODAC then use as output my headphones.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

It is not plugged wrong I've plugged it right. https://my.mixtape.moe/bqwnrb.jpg here's the specs of the Panasonic. What I need to know does the O2+ODAC make the turntable sound louder if I use RCA splitter 3.5m then plug it into input in O2+ODAC then use as output my headphones.

Well looking quickly at that specksheet it looks like it doesn't have a pre-amped input suitable for record players.

But I don't know if any old amp can be used as a pre-amp.

That wont work well.

Just get a cheap pre-amp, 12$

http://www.amazon.com/PYLE-PRO-PP444-Compact-Turntable-Preamp/dp/B004HJ1TTQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1446301514&sr=8-1&keywords=record+player+preamp

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Well looking quickly at that specksheet it looks like it doesn't have a pre-amped input suitable for record players.

But I don't know if any old amp can be used as a pre-amp.

The OP should get (as spwath said) a proper phono pre amp. Phono pre amps are designed to bring the signal level from phono up to line level, which is what every non-phono amp uses for its original signal.

Also, @op, if you're stereo system has a receiver, there's a 99% chance that it has an RCA input on the back labeled 'phono'. If you plug the turntable into that, you will have audio that is more than loud enough.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

turntable -> Panasonic phones 3.5mm -> O2 input 3.5mm -> output 3.5mm headpones would this work?

turntable -> Panasonic phones 3.5mm -> O2 input 3.5mm -> output 3.5mm headpones would this work?

Wait, does your sound system have an input labled phono?

Wait, does your sound system have an input labled phono?

this is my current setup. turntable RCA -> Panasonic -> 3.5mm port. What the dude from mayflower suggested is. turntable -> Panasonic -> 3.5mm in Panasonic labed phonos -> O2 input 3.5mm -> output 3.5mm headphones. He said if I'd directly plug ditching Panasonic there wouldn't be enough power. my turntable specs are: http://i.imgur.com/LpTGKmE.jpg

this is my current setup. turntable RCA -> Panasonic -> 3.5mm port. What the dude from mayflower suggested is. turntable -> Panasonic -> 3.5mm in Panasonic labed phonos -> O2 input 3.5mm -> output 3.5mm headphones. He said if I'd directly plug ditching Panasonic there wouldn't be enough power. my turntable specs are: http://i.imgur.com/LpTGKmE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/z51Yn3H.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/79Otmoa.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/0G2Oc8q.jpg

We don't care about your turntable specs. We need to see a picture of the back of your Panasonic.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Well if the panasonic thing truly has a preamp, the volume from the panasonic thing should work fine.

So if the panasonic has a port labled phono, it should have a preamp, and you shouldent need a headphone amp.

If not, you will need a preamp

Well if the panasonic thing truly has a preamp, the volume from the panasonic thing should work fine.

So if the panasonic has a port labled phono, it should have a preamp, and you shouldent need a headphone amp.

If not, you will need a preamp

I'm 99% sure that it will though. Everything that is a receiver has a phono input...

Hey! New SIgnature! 

We don't care about your turntable specs. We need to see a picture of the back of your Panasonic.

http://supost.com/uploads/post/84864b

don't yell at me, i'm just posting what i'm told to :D

I'm 99% sure that it will though. Everything that is a receiver has a phono input...

I would disagree. My sony receiver im selling, and my onkyo receiver both dont have phono inputs. Only my old sony with no digital inputs had a phono input.

Yeah, you need a preamp, like the one I originaly linked

I wasn't yelling. That was the second time I asked about the Panasonic though...

Anyway, you're going to need a phono pre amp, and there is no way around it.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I wasn't yelling. That was the second time I asked about the Panasonic though...

Anyway, you're going to need a phono pre amp, and there is no way around it.

Or listen to a modern form of media 

That said, i have a record player as well, so i cant say that.

Mine happens to have a built in preamp, as it was made in 2003.

Or listen to a modern form of media 

That said, i have a record player as well, so i cant say that.

Mine happens to have a built in preamp, as it was made in 2003.

Mine is from 1988. 

Also how I'm suppose to setup it with O2+ODAC if I get this

Mine is from 1988. 

Also how I'm suppose to setup it with O2+ODAC if I get this

Wait what? Are you the same person/horse?

Also, you just go RCA out on that to the o2 amp

Wait what? Are you the same person/horse?

Also, you just go RCA out on that to the o2 amp

No, He was just posting for me. 

So you're suggesting I'd do following: turntable -> Pro-Ject Photo in -> phono out using RCA splitter to 3.5mm -> O2 input -> O2 output headphones? 

No, He was just posting for me. 

So you're suggesting I'd do following: turntable -> Pro-Ject Photo in -> phono out using RCA splitter to 3.5mm -> O2 input -> O2 output headphones? 

Yeah, though you may not need the 02

Yeah, though you may not need the 02

In that case I will get the Pro-ject photo-box with the O2+ODAC. I guess that's decent pre-amp