C++ Programs

TheGosuStandard

Just started coding with my Intro CS class using Linux terminal & another program (forgot the name). Is there a similar setup for Windows (Just downloaded Visual Studio)? 

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Just started coding with my Intro CS class using Linux terminal & another program (forgot the name). Is there a similar setup for Windows (Just downloaded Visual Studio)? 

id recommend asking about ssh....and if its an option, because a lot of times things will run differently on their testing servers (especially if theyre on a different os).

of course that does require internet access, and that they have ssh set up.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Visual Studio Community is one option although they don't use gcc which is what I assume you're using on your Linux machines. If you want to use gcc on windows you can install MinGW or have Code::Blocks do it for you. The different platforms/compilers may or may not act differently with your code. Remember to always compile and test on the OS you need to be graded with.

As djdwosk97 suggested, if SSH is available it is worth using as well.

id recommend asking about ssh....and if its an option, because a lot of times things will run differently on their testing servers (especially if theyre on a different os).

of course that does require internet access, and that they have ssh set up.

Having difficulty finding SSH.

Visual Studio Community is one option although they don't use gcc which is what I assume you're using on your Linux machines. If you want to use gcc on windows you can install MinGW or have Code::Blocks do it for you. The different platforms/compilers may or may not act differently with your code. Remember to always compile and test on the OS you need to be graded with.

As djdwosk97 suggested, if SSH is available it is worth using as well.

Is the VS community different from VS Code, also in terms of checking whether the code works like I did with "terminal" is that done via the apps or is that within windows itself?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

To get a similar experience on Windows you can either use Vim or Emacs and MinGW.

But I highly suggest Visual Studio on Windows, especially for the debugging there's nothing better available.

Is the VS community different from VS Code, also in terms of checking whether the code works like I did with "terminal" is that done via the apps or is that within windows itself?

VS Code is just an editor, VS is an IDE so it has a compiler, debugger, and lots of other tools to make your life easier.

Is the VS community different from VS Code

Yes. VS Code is like a simple text editor with some extra features added in for programmers (syntax highlighting, git support, etc). VS Community is an IDE which includes an editor, debugger, and many other features all in one program.

in terms of checking whether the code works like I did with "terminal" is that done via the apps or is that within windows itself?

If you use an IDE like VS Community, Code::Blocks, CLion, etc then you can run your code in them. You don't need to run it through the command line if you don't want to.

If you use a simpler text editor like VS Code that can't run the code, then you'll need to use the command line to compile and run your code.

Why not do the majority of your development using Visual Studio and simply spin up a Linux VM to test GCC (or whatever)? Visual Studio simply blows the alternatives away, you get so much stuff for free with it these days; profiling, debugging (local and remote), intellisense (with native code!). extensions, that awesome code map scroll bar, code lens... and so on.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Dev C++ is not bad but Visual studio is by far and away the best option.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.